The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

starting website dedicated to cool bachelors (single men)

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Hello Fastlane,

My concept is to start a website dedicated to "cool" bachelors (men aged 20 - 40 with positively interesting personalities).

My gameplan is to first start posting blog entries on the site (and its facebook page) for about 3 months as well as give away some free items along the way so to build an email list. After the 3 month stage then the plan is to add affiliate links, then open a shopify store with products supporting that niche.

Is this a viable plan, or is there something that I am not seeing? I would certainly also welcome any resources targeted to this specific type of business model.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Hello Fastlane,

My concept is to start a website dedicated to "cool" bachelors (men aged 20 - 40 with positively interesting personalities).

My gameplan is to first start posting blog entries on the site (and its facebook page) for about 3 months as well as give away some free items along the way so to build an email list. After the 3 month stage then the plan is to add affiliate links, then open a shopify store with products supporting that niche.

Is this a viable plan, or is there something that I am not seeing? I would certainly also welcome any resources targeted to this specific type of business model.

Sounds like a good start to me. Would benefit you to get more detailed on the value you’re providing. What do “cool bachelors” need that is different from the needs of any regular ole bachelor? How will you target a cool bachelor, where do they hangout? On facebook? The gym? The club?

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I agree with @404profound. You've described a launch plan and marketing plan for... what, exactly? What are you selling? Why does it help me? Why do I care?

It sounds like you're gearing up to be an alpha.m knockoff.

Start with value. Build your strategy around your offer. Not the other way around.

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I agree with @404profound. You've described a launch plan and marketing plan for... what, exactly? What are you selling? Why does it help me? Why do I care?

It sounds like you're gearing up to be an alpha.m knockoff.

Start with value. Build your strategy around your offer. Not the other way around.

Yes, the value is the informative blog posts, as well as the free items I plan on giving away in the course of the three months. The free physical items would be obtained from China.

The free ebooks I would be put together. All of these items would benefit the readers and visitors of the blog/website/facebook page

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Sounds like a good start to me. Would benefit you to get more detailed on the value you’re providing. What do “cool bachelors” need that is different from the needs of any regular ole bachelor? How will you target a cool bachelor, where do they hangout? On facebook? The gym? The club?

yes, most certainly. I've answered those questions. The ???? that kept re-occurring to me was whether the niche was too broad.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Yes, the value is the informative blog posts, as well as the free items I plan on giving away in the course of the three months. The free physical items would be obtained from China.

The free ebooks I would be put together. All of these items would benefit the readers and visitors of the blog/website/facebook page
Is there something that you're actually selling?

What is unique about your blog posts and ebooks?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, the value is the informative blog posts
I think what would help to understand is if you're really specific with the actual value you're providing.

For example:
  • I can say "I have a blog providing value to entrepreneurs."
  • I can say "I can help entrepreneurs improve mindset."
  • I can say "I can help entrepreneurs overcome their fears."
  • I can say "I wrote a blog article outlining the exact strategy and formula to help entrepreneurs and salespeople overcome their fear of cold-calling rejection.
It's the last one which will be something specific that is adding value to the specific market.

By really drilling down to the very specific value you are adding, based on your understanding of their emotional pain points and desires...this will allow you to start adding the real value.

And from there, we can turn that one specific thing we help people with.
  1. Post the link in Facebook groups for salespeople and entrepreneurs who do cold calling.
  2. Bug one of these SEO guys on here to help me optimize the post for search engine optimization.
At the end of the article, I can offer a free session to help someone through the process. I could include a free video course to help them understand the process in more detail.

The lead is captured.

And from there, I helped them, the got through the problem, and they actually benefited from the specific thing I provided to them.

I'm open talking about what I do specifically here, but I know a lot of people don't want to talk about the specifics.

So whether you share the specifics not (like my cold calling rejection thing)....

Do you have a specific thing that solves something specific for a specific group of people?

Or was the original idea more vague of 'helping cool bachelors'?

I think that's what some people were getting at here.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
there was a group that has made rampant waves (i heard about this on a podcast) called MGTOW
MGTOW

they have set up some infrastructure maybe it may help you somewhere down the line....

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Is there something that you're actually selling?

What is unique about your blog posts and ebooks?

I wont be selling anything initially. At least not for the first 4 months. The initial goal is to drive traffic. For instance, a typical blog post would be something like "10 cool ways you can decorate your bachelor pad".... This will showcase interesting ways single men in that age range can make their homes or apartments look interesting.

So if a bachelor searches for "cool ways to decorate your bachelor pad" on google the idea is for them to run into that article. From that article/blog post they learn ways to make their residence look cool/interesting.

I believe that's an added value as that information is completely free. Of course that is just an example but it outlines the general strategy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello Fastlane,

Not feeling it. I think you'd need to write blog posts for at least 1 year before you get decent traction. You are looking to monetize without providing any value. 10 cool things in a bachelor pad is not going to be a post that will get subscribers and readers. You really would need more in depth posts that resonate with your audience.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Not feeling it. I think you'd need to write blog posts for at least 1 year before you get decent traction. You are looking to monetize without providing any value. 10 cool things in a bachelor pad is not going to be a post that will get subscribers and readers. You really would need more in depth posts that resonate with your audience.

You stated that in a much nicer way that I would have.

Also -- this is a HIGH turnover venue. Singles become relationships in a heartbeat.

I always found it funny when I was single, looking at 'single guy' blogs. Yea -- you know were I'm coming from, but I want to hear from the women to.

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
You stated that in a much nicer way that I would have.

Also -- this is a HIGH turnover venue. Singles become relationships in a heartbeat.

I always found it funny when I was single, looking at 'single guy' blogs. Yea -- you know were I'm coming from, but I want to hear from the women to.

Steve I certainly thank biophase for brutally honest feedback with no sugar coating. that's the reason why I joined this forum, lol.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
It sounds like you want to start a style/modern man type blog? (idk just guessing here, artofmanliness, modest man, ??)

Why not take pain points from your own life, and solve them for other people in the same format, if you insist on content marketing? Instead of just doing the cool angle, and "trying to come up with" ideas for a niche vertical, there are probably 3-5 of them staring you right in the face from your own life, just waiting for you to reach out and do something with them.

The difference is, you create a storyline around your own hardship instead of being trendy, and you're no longer looking anywhere, for anything. Your experience is what gives you the ability to create the value of saving people time, money, frustration, etc...

The problem usually is, you won't like it... Or, you're not "passionate" about it. I hear this all the time when my opportunity radar is going off for other people, but it's normally not their favorite thing. Trouble is, it's the easiest, fastest way they could make the same idea work for them.

Just a thought...

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The niche is way too broad. I'd likely fall into your target audience as a 25 year old single dude (but don't ever use the word cool...it's cheesy as hell), but I'm failing to see how I could benefit from it. If you hit on something within that niche, you might gain traction.

Examples:

-How to get girls
-How to be a rich bachelor
-Travelling as a single man (bachelor in paradise?)
-Bachelor's Guide to Partying
etc, etc

TStrike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Aug 19, 2017
USA
As someone who makes income producing websites, here are my recommendations in no particular order.

1. Find a way to monetize BEFORE making the site. For a cost effective approach, I suggest "stacking" revenue streams. Start affiliate, then ads, then your own products. Take your time and make each one relatively passive before pursuing the next one at all.
A. Find other websites in other niches doing the same thing and making money at it.
B. Find both physical and/or information products you could recommend to your readers.

2. Content should be fairly long. This isn't true in every situation or every niche, but I shoot for 3k words each post as a rule to thumb. Short content does absolutely work, just not as much as long content. Use common sense here. Don't put down 3k words on how to tie a bowtie. In my opinion, I wouldn't go for short content at all until you started to outsource. Then it can provide a better ROI than longer content.

3. Facebook is iffy. I ignore social traffic until I have established organic traffic. Once I have established organic traffic and affiliate revenue, I "stack" into social traffic and ads. I think you'd get a better ROI if, instead of spending time on FB, you reached out to other sites and built links to your site.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
So I'm coming in a bit late to this.

You absolutely can make this work.

But, at the moment, I'm not sure if you will.

Men's lifestyle is a huge niche. Hell, they still put out magazines for it. Real, legitimate magazines!

From what you've said so far, I'm not sure how you're going to stand out. Another site pushing "Ten Cool Ways to Decorate Your Bachelor Pad" is likely going to struggle.

Now, perhaps I just don't have enough info. But if you put out a bunch of short, generic content about being a 'cool' bachelor, I don't think you'll go far. You're competing with sites that either have existed longer (and are going to pull more rank in the search engines) such as Thrillist, or sites that are putting in some -amazing- quality like The Art of Manliness.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to create a blog that puts out some seriously quality content. That Ten Cool Ways to Decorate Your Bachelor Pad could work if, instead of being a typical Top Ten list with blurb for each item, it had a minipost for each item. Then, you would essentially be creating skyscraper content.

You could try to reach out to other blogs in the space and look at guest posts, or if they'll just share. In this space, a lot of people are going to read a few different blogs. It isn't a zero-sum game, and everyone can benefit each other. Producing the highest quality content will help you get shared around.

Defining Your Audience

You could do worse than defining your audience a little bit better. There are a lot of different type of bachelors, many of them conflict with one another.

Think about some of the biggest sites in this space.

Art of Manliness - Traditional manhood. Being a 'good' man, whether that be friend, father, or husband.
Rise of Kings - Being an 'alpha'. Strong presence in the manosphere.
Thrillist - Living a life of adventure. Drinks, nightlife, adventure. The Buzzfeed of Men's Blogs.

Who do you want to target?

'Nerdy' Bachelors (Social skills, geeky stuff, etc)
'Guys' and 'bros' (Drinking, casual, 'dude stuff', sex)
Guys who want to be gentleman (A lot of sites try to do this, but I don't think any quite pull it off)
Losers who want to be cool

Get that perfect target audience in mind. Once you have that, do some research and find those biggest pain points. Create some detailed, quality content for them. Nothing less than two thousand words, but shoot for much longer than that.

O

Olivia K

Wow well there are dating sites of all kinds now so why not for cool bachelors? Does this mean wealthy ones or any? Do you intend to have a minimum requirement, say income, to join?
I think in the fast paced world today people don't have time to meet and I know 2 friends who have met from dating sites so there is obviously a call for them. I am curious to how you will stand out from the rest but sounds like you are on a good track. Good luck I am routing for you! Olivia xx

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The niche is way too broad. I'd likely fall into your target audience as a 25 year old single dude (but don't ever use the word cool...it's cheesy as hell), but I'm failing to see how I could benefit from it. If you hit on something within that niche, you might gain traction.

Examples:

-How to get girls
-How to be a rich bachelor
-Travelling as a single man (bachelor in paradise?)
-Bachelor's Guide to Partying
etc, etc

Here's the reason why I think its a niche. I modified your list.

- Fun ways to get girls
- Cool and interesting ways to be a rich bachelor
- Interesting ways to travel as a single man (bachelor in paradise?)
- Bachelor's Guide to Partying

Ok, the last one would probably be left alone since partying is considered "cool" on its own without any modification.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Here's the reason why I think its a niche. I modified your list.

- Fun ways to get girls
- Cool and interesting ways to be a rich bachelor
- Interesting ways to travel as a single man (bachelor in paradise?)
- Bachelor's Guide to Partying

Ok, the last one would probably be left alone since partying is considered "cool" on its own without any modification.
If you google each of those taglines, you can see who you'll be competing with in this space:

Fun Ways to Get Girls
-
theartofcharm.com
- brobible.com
- whattosaytogirls.com
- simplepickup.com

Cool and Interesting Ways to be a Rich Bachelor
- theatlantic.com
- stylecaster.com
- thepennyhoarder.com
- businessinsider.com

Interesting Ways to Travel as a Single Man
- askmen.com
- tripadvisor.com
- solotravelerworld.com
- cntraveler.com

Bachelor's Guide to Partying
- menshealth.com
- artofmanliness.com
- thrillist.com
- aspiringgentleman.com

Sidenote - BachelorinParadise.com is available on GoDaddy for $688 :thumbsup:

Can it be done? Absolutely. It's being done. Proof of concept right there.

Just now that it's going to be very difficult to get a foothold in this space, and you're going to need to provide truly massive value. This ain't get rich quick.

Make sure you know what your unique value prop is here. You cannot succeed as a copycat in this space. You really need to bring something unique to the table.

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Sidenote - BachelorinParadise.com is available on GoDaddy for $688 :thumbsup:
I'm not saying OP should do it (if he's even into travelling, I dunno), but I think that's a fantastic domain with a lot of potential if someone was interested in blogging about solo male travel. Six months ago I'd have seriously considered buying that.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I'm not saying OP should do it (if he's even into travelling, I dunno), but I think that's a fantastic domain with a lot of potential if someone was interested in blogging about solo male travel. Six months ago I'd have seriously considered buying that.
I agree! I was actually really surprised it was available, and for under 4-figures no less! It has a lot of potential, but alas, the domain does not make the business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.