The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting my Jurney

Anything related to matters of the mind

TrialandError

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Aug 1, 2023
Hey,
in my introduction Post i said "but i dont know how to know what people actually need help with". Now you might tink "thats so easy, just ask people or try it out!" In short, yes.
But thats why my Jurney starts here in "Self development".

I don't know how to talk to people, how to walk up to somebody and start a discussion etc.
Thats why i will do exactly that.

I made a pretty simple Product. Its less a need and more a want, if anyone even buys it. But the point is not to sell it, the point is finding out if people WOULD buy it.
My plan: With some of my free time i'll walk up to stores (smaller ones where the owner actually works there) and gift them the Product. This way i will be confronted with talking to them and without risk for the store owner, find out wether people would like to have this.

The thing costs me about 4€ of time, Material etc. so this will be a good way of getting some experience without big investments.
Yes, this "idea" to me, is basically like selling 100$ bills for 50$ but the point is trying to find out how one would sell anything at all.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LukasP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 19, 2023
Hey,
in my introduction Post i said "but i dont know how to know what people actually need help with". Now you might tink "thats so easy, just ask people or try it out!" In short, yes.
But thats why my Jurney starts here in "Self development".

I don't know how to talk to people, how to walk up to somebody and start a discussion etc.
Thats why i will do exactly that.

I made a pretty simple Product. Its less a need and more a want, if anyone even buys it. But the point is not to sell it, the point is finding out if people WOULD buy it.
My plan: With some of my free time i'll walk up to stores (smaller ones where the owner actually works there) and gift them the Product. This way i will be confronted with talking to them and without risk for the store owner, find out wether people would like to have this.

The thing costs me about 4€ of time, Material etc. so this will be a good way of getting some experience without big investments.
Yes, this "idea" to me, is basically like selling 100$ bills for 50$ but the point is trying to find out how one would sell anything at all.

Cheers!
Hi Jonas,
I am in a similar spot like you are. So i don't want to give you tips or anything but I would just write my thoughts on your situation down so you can think about them.

So first of all to the " i don't know how to know what people actually need help with" & "thats so easy, just ask people or try it out!" , I don't think going to people and asking them is neither the only nor the best way to find the problem you should solve. Like MJ wrote in his book and many others in posts on this platform, you shouldn't only look to others for problems. The nearest source of ideas will always be you, so think about what drives you crazy, what is sth that annoys you so much that you don't know why there isn't a product, a course or sth like that which solves this problem. (since I listened to myself I found myself in 4-5 situations where I just thought "there has to be a better way").
I mean think about it, for example you say yourself that you don't know how to talk to people. When I read that I instantly thought, why not make a YT-channel showing your journey to becoming a person that talks to strangers without any problems. This would be a great topic for a small course that you could create someday (I know it would be far far in the future).

Now to your product, I mean it's a good idea (imo) to combine your self-development with your entrepreneur journey.
But I wouldn't go as far as giving the product to the store and making -4€ every time. If I would be you I would say that the store can sell your product, no buying cost. But if they sell one you get 4€ so your expenses are paid for.
That way you don't loose money (if you don't produce way to many) but the store owner still can keep all of the profits.

I hope you stick to your plans and follow them with passion.
All the best for your journey
Lukas

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Courageous of you to confront your fear in this area, however be wary of fully trusting feedback you get when handing out freebies. Someone saying they WOULD buy something is very different from them handing you the cash. Best of luck.

TrialandError

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Aug 1, 2023
The nearest source of ideas will always be you, so think about what drives you crazy, what is sth that annoys you so much that you don't know why there isn't a product,
Hey, thanks for you input!
My problem is not that i dont have ideas, i do actually, but the problem lies within finding out how much value that can have for others.

For example i built a simple part for my workshop that solves two problems while looking good. However this part is only useful if theres people that have both problems, and i dont know wether there is enough people with these Problems to justify the work i would have to do to optimize (for customers) and offer the part online etc.

Next thing i am pretty proficient in a complex manufacturing niche and i regularily help people solve their issues on the internet. This makes me think people would appreciate me making a guide on how to do things. But there is already a couple of guides on this topic so now im wondering wether these are not explaining well enough for newbies or else.

But I wouldn't go as far as giving the product to the store and making -4€ every time. If I would be you I would say that the store can sell your product, no buying cost. But if they sell one you get 4€ so your expenses are paid for.
That is a good point

Courageous of you to confront your fear in this area, however be wary of fully trusting feedback you get when handing out freebies. Someone saying they WOULD buy something is very different from them handing you the cash. Best of luck.
Just like this, i will tell them they can put the part in their store for free but if they sell it they have to compensate me for the work (the 4€).

UPDATE:
Yesterday i went to the nearest store and talked to them. The lady was very nice and listened to me before telling me that "sorry, the owners are away untill next week". I have heard of this being a big issue before, i simply talked to the wrong person. On this small store theres not much problem there but when i want to work with bigger businesses i will have to find out how to know who to talk to.

Today i will make another product within the same category. I have found a way to improve a common problem, the product seems cheap, and i think the owner will like this more.
Also i just finished my photobox so i will make some pictures and put them up on etsy, just because its easy and possibly many people will see it.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.