The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a new service business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
Sticking with what you know is always an option. It sounds like you go back and fourth with this. Getting out of your comfort zone or taking a different angle might be the solution.

If you have the knowledge and have built a team with your previous landscaping business then project management might be right down your alley. Have a network of contractors who do the work for you. Many people are still staying in their own homes and remodeling has been on the rise. A presentable house on the inside but on the outside as well.

Cleaning services are always needed. One insight I may provide to you is look into the new construction area. If you're in a location where houses are going up left and right then this could be a benefit to you. Many builders contract out most of the work during a build. During the stages some contractors can get lazy and don't pick up after themselves. Point is, they're in a hurry, lazy, and simply just don't care.

You have electricians leaving wires all over the damn house, framers with 2x4's, nails, and saw dust all over the house. Sheet metal from heat/cooling guys, pex/copper and PVC from plumbers, shingles all over the ground from roofers, etc. Not to mention all the other trash from products used in the house or their lunch and favorite beverages scattered throughout.

While this can easily be fixed by having the contractors pick up for themselves it is still a problem. I'll still go through commercial buildings or new houses and there are messes everywhere (inside as well as outside). Although it wouldn't be my responsibility to pick up after contractors, I would clean up after everyone else because if I don't do it, no one else will.

I honestly don't see how it's that hard to pick up from a mess you made. The reason why this is an issue is because all of this comes back on the builder no matter what. The builder will then take their frustrations down stream to its network of contractors and have a yelling match with all involved. New home owners love to go through their house to check up on the process and it makes a huge difference going through a very clean and tidy house through all stages of the build.

Ultimately if you make an impact on a builder or the home owner you might be able to roll those services for continuation even after the house is complete. Association services where they apply or just landscaping services (before or after the build -- some areas require a list of demands. For example: how many plants a yard must have). Cleaning services as well (gutter cleaning, window washing, in-house cleaning, garage spring cleaning or organizational techniques, etc).

Your best bet is to just pick something and get going on it. Sure, it's nice to do your due diligence with control. However, look into any idea long and hard enough and you may find many reasons not to do something.

- Devin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Sticking with what you know is always an option. It sounds like you go back and fourth with this. Getting out of your comfort zone or taking a different angle might be the solution.

If you have the knowledge and have built a team with your previous landscaping business then project management might be right down your alley. Have a network of contractors who do the work for you. Many people are still staying in their own homes and remodeling has been on the rise. A presentable house on the inside but on the outside as well.

Cleaning services are always needed. One insight I may provide to you is look into the new construction area. If you're in a location where houses are going up left and right then this could be a benefit to you. Many builders contract out most of the work during a build. During the stages some contractors can get lazy and don't pick up after themselves. Point is, they're in a hurry, lazy, and simply just don't care.

You have electricians leaving wires all over the damn house, framers with 2x4's, nails, and saw dust all over the house. Sheet metal from heat/cooling guys, pex/copper and PVC from plumbers, shingles all over the ground from roofers, etc. Not to mention all the other trash from products used in the house or their lunch and favorite beverages scattered throughout.

While this can easily be fixed by having the contractors pick up for themselves it is still a problem. I'll still go through commercial buildings or new houses and there are messes everywhere (inside as well as outside). Although it wouldn't be my responsibility to pick up after contractors, I would clean up after everyone else because if I don't do it, no one else will.

I honestly don't see how it's that hard to pick up from a mess you made. The reason why this is an issue is because all of this comes back on the builder no matter what. The builder will then take their frustrations down stream to its network of contractors and have a yelling match with all involved. New home owners love to go through their house to check up on the process and it makes a huge difference going through a very clean and tidy house through all stages of the build.

Ultimately if you make an impact on a builder or the home owner you might be able to roll those services for continuation even after the house is complete. Association services where they apply or just landscaping services (before or after the build -- some areas require a list of demands. For example: how many plants a yard must have). Cleaning services as well (gutter cleaning, window washing, in-house cleaning, garage spring cleaning or organizational techniques, etc).

Your best bet is to just pick something and get going on it. Sure, it's nice to do your due diligence with control. However, look into any idea long and hard enough and you may find many reasons not to do something.

- Devin

Thank you very much, Devin. Love the last paragraph. Really speaks volumes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.