Deep Half Guard
New Contributor
- Joined
- Oct 24, 2013
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$75
$75
User Power: 50%
I have a few published short stories through Kindle and I am in mid-novel right now. Oddly enough, writing isn't my issue at this moment. (Not saying it is any good, just saying I've written on and off for a few years and for some obscure blogs and articles for my own blogs so process, planning, craft, I pretty much have a handle on as well as sitting down to actually write and all that)
What it is driving me nuts is, how to self market myself. I am a relatively successful internet marketer so I have some experience with twitter, facebook, blogs, building a following etc...I've seen and actually know some writers who have their blogs, and social media and a ton of fans and followers and these writers are successful. Their writing is sub-par (as is mine I'm sure) but they sell books all through Kindle. And it isn't non-fiction. It's solid genre fiction. But their tweets, blogs, posts, pics, whatever are fluff. It's "wrote 300 more words today" type stuff. No substance.
I have strong opinions about certain things. I can ramble about sci-fi/fantasy all day long. I can go on libertarian rants as well. Do I mash this all up into one "persona"? Would I alienate too many people?
For example, I create my pen-name and all the social media accounts and just be myself. But my novels are mystery novels set in London. Would libertarian posts help or hurt me or neither? Would I alienate too many people that way? (Assuming I develop some exposure) Should I just make fluff like some of the other writers I follow and know do?
As an internet marketer, I feel I should fluff it up and not "alienate" anyone. As an opinionated person, I feel like screw it - write what I want and when I feel like talking about my books I talk about them.
Any advice?
What it is driving me nuts is, how to self market myself. I am a relatively successful internet marketer so I have some experience with twitter, facebook, blogs, building a following etc...I've seen and actually know some writers who have their blogs, and social media and a ton of fans and followers and these writers are successful. Their writing is sub-par (as is mine I'm sure) but they sell books all through Kindle. And it isn't non-fiction. It's solid genre fiction. But their tweets, blogs, posts, pics, whatever are fluff. It's "wrote 300 more words today" type stuff. No substance.
I have strong opinions about certain things. I can ramble about sci-fi/fantasy all day long. I can go on libertarian rants as well. Do I mash this all up into one "persona"? Would I alienate too many people?
For example, I create my pen-name and all the social media accounts and just be myself. But my novels are mystery novels set in London. Would libertarian posts help or hurt me or neither? Would I alienate too many people that way? (Assuming I develop some exposure) Should I just make fluff like some of the other writers I follow and know do?
As an internet marketer, I feel I should fluff it up and not "alienate" anyone. As an opinionated person, I feel like screw it - write what I want and when I feel like talking about my books I talk about them.
Any advice?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
