• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Speed Reading: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by wordwarrior, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SK1

SK1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $417
    I have been speed reading for many years.
    As an educator - its great to find relevant content, review pre-learnt materials, mark learners work, etc.
    For learning - it is not so good.

Everyone is different. Maybe I am not doing it correctly?

RazorCut likes this.
  2. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,173
    That sounds bang on to me. So excellent information in this thread. :thumbsup:

SK1 likes this.
  3. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,210
    When it comes to speed reading, learn from the best of the best : Tai Lopez.
    He has a YouTube vid which teaches people to finish a book in 10 mins.....

That means if you camp at a library, you can finish 50 - 80 books a day, or more.

wordwarrior likes this.
  4. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,395
    What's your objective with reading? Is it:

1 - To read more books?
    2 - To enjoy the books?
    3 - To learn from the books?

It's not the same thing. Answer the question and you'll figure out if you need to speed read.

I read like 17-20 books a year and I don't speed read. I spend 30 minutes a day reading and that's all I need.

YoungPadawan and Xeon like this.
  5. NC Bidniss

NC Bidniss Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $519
    As long as you can effectively soak in the information through speedreading, it is a good strategy. However, if you are simply reading the words and not the ideas the words represent, then you aren't doing yourself any good. If you can read a book in 3 hours, but fail to remember anything from the book a week later, you didn't do yourself any good.

6. Nigel B

Nigel B Life Long Learner Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $997
    I trained using the Paul Scheele course - it works, for fast gathering of facts, but not deep gathering of knowledge. Useful to decide whether something is worth a deep dive.

That said I use fast audio instead. I 'read' audiobooks primarily, often when driving. I have trained myself up to between 2-3X normal speed depending on the narrator. Initially this sounds like the Chipmunks - but your brain adjusts very quickly. I find I can absorb facts at the higher right in audio.

YMMV of course.

Everyman likes this.
  7. Everyman

Everyman Get To The Choppa! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $615
    I have been using this book - The Photoreading Whole Mind System by Paul Scheele.

I have to admit that it works for everything for me. He / someone else, advises not to use it for fiction books, as you don't want to know the end before you read the middle part (obvious).

But for learning is excellent. Might not work for everyone. Is worth giving a shot. You still need to contemplate what you have read, and also make notes, apply other techniques. But this one revolutionised reading for me, and of course makes the retarded school taught way of reading even more obsolete.

If you want numbers e.g. pages per second... it all depends how much effort you will put into practice. There is basically no limit...

It makes reading more pleasurable and exciting. It is fast, so you don't get bored as easy, and of course you stay focused longer and remember more (you don't fly away with thoughts...)... It's cheap enough to buy and try for a week.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. André Casal

André Casal Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    If the point is to download knowledge faster, a much better alternative to speed reading is audiobooks because you get to listen during tasks that don't require your full attention like driving, working out, walking, jogging, commuting, washing dishes, folding clothes, traveling and so on.

I get to listen to an audiobook a week on average.

Everyman likes this.
  9. Everyman

Everyman Get To The Choppa! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $615
    From my experience. When we do two things at a time, we don't do anyone of them good. And when we drive, we focus on driving. Obviously. I even stopped listening to music while at gym. I wanted my brain to focus 100% on the muscles I work on. See Arnold's advice.

It's a form of meditation. I advise to do only one thing at a time, and treat it as meditation. For me it worked much better, even if I spend less time. I get more out of it because it's quality time.

10. Lavern Muller

Lavern Muller New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Reading is worth, but what about correct pronounciation dude!
    I mean this problem is with me of making incorrect pronounciation while reading too fast.

Everyman likes this.
  11. HackVenture

HackVenture Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,808
    I assume you are talking about business books and the objective should be knowledge.

Go 80/20 and realize majority of the important information is in a minority of the number of words.

Learn to read fast yes but don't be afraid to slow down and take notes or digest when you come to a part that resonates with you.

Everyman likes this.
  12. El_Johnson23

El_Johnson23 P.C.O. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $257
    I've been speed reading for a while, but I mostly tailor my speed to what am I reading and why. For skimming, pre-reading, or for a quick run-down on a book or article it is great. But for any type of deep, analytical or pleasure-type of reading, it simply doesn't work for me.

These are the books I used to get my reading and speed-reading developed in the last few years. I still review them from time to time

1. How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading [Mortimer J. Adler]
    2. 10 Days to Faster Reading [The Princeton Language Institute]

Everyman and MakeItHappen like this.
  13. Anakalypsi

Anakalypsi New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $99
    Short: Speed read to find information that you're actively searching on for some reason. For deeply understanding something new or engaging with your creative part of your brain it is worthless.

Everyman likes this.
  14. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,734
    I dunno about speed reading, but I love to listen to audiobooks or podcasts at x2 speed.

Works like a charm with headphones.

Everyman likes this.
  15. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,756
    I highly recommend the book: Speed Reading For Dummies. The guy explains how it work and gives you things to practice.

It's hard and I haven't put in the work required to be good at it.

But speed Reading is not skimming.

Basically all it is is reading without having that voice inside your head read to you. Because that voice is too slow. You then can move your eyes quicker and start using your peripheral vision to read. And that doesn't just mean your left or right peripheral. That's the hardest part for me. Once you can read with your peripheral vision you start reading quicker because you need less eye fixations per page. When you're good you can read whole paragraphs with one or two eye fixations.

This increases reading speed which in turn increases comprehension because we can fit more information into our short term memory and connect more dots before our minds forget what we read.

So, for example, a speed reading god would read the above paragraph by looking at the center of it and read the whole thing instantly. (Maybe not on PC but on my phone the above paragraph is 5 lines with around 4 to 7 words in each line)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    Everyman likes this.
  16. Everyman

Rep Bank:
    $615
    Why are you worried about pronunciation while reading? I am curious and actually don't understand.

Why would you say that? I am asking because my experience is to the contrary. I am interested - is the method or something else?

17. Tidder Jail

Tidder Jail Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $192
    I like to read books on kindle because it becomes easier to do what you did. You just highlight the text in kindle, export them, copy/paste to google docs and style it the way you want

RazorCut likes this.
  18. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $377
    I've studied speed reading pretty in depth in the past. Basically, what I've taken from it, is to first look at the table of contents to get a feeling of what will be in the book.

Then, when you are reading, you can kind of skim through parts that don't really apply currently to your life, and in the parts that you are interested, you can slow down and read at normal speed.

I've found the advice of 'reading diagonally' and 'reading two sentences at a time' and similar advice to be hogwash. Just look at the titles of the different sections and skim over the paragraphs as you normally would to get the gist of it.

Tidder Jail likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.