The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Some critique needed on my fishing eCommerce website

Marketing, social media, advertising

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 13, 2016
Hi,

I have a number of eCommerce sites and started this new one approximately 6 months ago

I have had it redesigned at least 3 times but at a small charge!

My main traffic source is Google PPC which is expensive.

I hold inventory with branded names but can I get this to convert in scale - NO!

Yes I get some sales but the PPC destroys any profit.

I did a test I selected a product category and lowered the price were I was selling less than cost I got sales but not a great quantity.

I think I broke the rule of road to entry here and I might have to admit I skrewed up here as people are selling on eBay which I think is wiping me out.

My investment in stock was approx £4K so no big numbers here some usefull comments would be great here.

Thanks,

Mark

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have had it redesigned at least 3 times but at a small charge!

I think your biggest problem is that you've wasted the primary real estate at your website with a photo and a poor headline.

You have 3 seconds to grab attention, and you've used that space poorly.

Use Observed Modeling to guide you -- how are the MOST SUCCESSFUL eCommerce sites organized? How do they grab attention?

Take a look at Wayfair.com for example.

You need to use a stronger headline, and don't waste top-of-fold space with just a photo ... entice, make offers, demonstrate value.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 13, 2016
Are you sure you're not an SEO back link spammer?

All your posts have links and are getting reported by users as SPAM.
Thanks for your input much appreciated. Which website is getting this?

My my main website is Picking Winning Horses that sells my books these are my own blog posts and articles that I am passionate about.

Are you talking about this website?

I have a number of ecommerce sites so curious!

Just nearly finished your latest book got it Monday this week now at the end its very good indeed the best one out of the three. I like the TAM brilliant I picture many rats hunting for food !

Thanks,

Mark Horrocks
+44 7973-786657

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 13, 2016
I think your biggest problem is that you've wasted the primary real estate at your website with a photo and a poor headline.

You have 3 seconds to grab attention, and you've used that space poorly.

Use Observed Modeling to guide you -- how are the MOST SUCCESSFUL eCommerce sites organized? How do they grab attention?

Take a look at Wayfair.com for example.

You need to use a stronger headline, and don't waste top-of-fold space with just a photo ... entice, make offers, demonstrate value.
Thanks again for your input just having a crap day juggling domestic life with gardening life hate gardening!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I agree with MJ. Take a look at Amazon.com. What is the first thing you see on that site? Hint: Its stuff you've looked at previously (stuff you thought about buying but haven't yet), and stuff you might be interested in buying. There are no big pictures of a guy in a boat.

On your site, you won't have the automation that Amazon does, but you could have something like this:

[The best lures for ] [fast scrolling: Trout, Cod, Catfish, Tuna, Salmon] [button: Find your lure]

Or, something like that.

You'll have to experiment to see what works, but fishing sites are a dime a dozen. Why would someone want to go to your site? Its not 'to buy fishing gear.' It might be: 'to buy the best possible fishing gear I can get for my exact needs and budget.' ... Unless you're an expert fisherman with decades of experience, you won't know what that gear is. Even if you are, the amount of new gear on the market each years is overwhelming, I'm sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.