The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software Dev Aiming for Freedom

jaybittner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
What's up all. I'm Jay. Stumbled onto an interview with MJ on Youtube and really enjoyed the no BS attitude. I started listening to a bunch of podcasts/interviews about the book/principles and eventually purchased Millionaire Fastlane . I just finished that up and found it to be the book I needed right now, at this point in my life. I'll give a short life synopsis from college (I grew up in LA, living in Austin currently):

22 - Graduated college in Marketing. Did a social media internship. Was never able to find a real business job at a company (this was around 2010, during the recession)

22-25 - Worked in construction for my dad's company. Started doing manual labor then learned electrical. Was an electrician for a few years. Construction was never my goal so I didn't try to get involved in running the company (I wanted to be location independent). Doing construction did give me a strong work ethic though.

25 - Got super sick (I have Crohn's disease). Spent an entire year sick and lost 35lbs. Almost lost my colon (the 5th medicine I tried that year put me into remission). I realized that life was short and could be ripped out of your hands quickly so I need to figure something out. It's a chronic illness as well so that was making me feel a lot of pressure, knowing it could come back anytime

25-26 - Tried to build an Amazon FBA company whenever I wasn't working. I made a lot of mistakes, but I eventually found a niche. I was living in Downtown LA so I was reselling products from restaurant supply warehouses. I was basically trying to hustle at scale (since I could easily refill products). I had one good hot sauce product that I sold 700ish units of ($30/profit per sale), but that was the extent of my success. Looking back, I should have tried developing my own brand/product, but it wasn't clear to me at the time. I really enjoyed checking my email and seeing new sales every day (still one of the best feelings in my life).

26 - Saw a niche in the LA market for Software Development. Went to one of the first bootcamps in the LA market. Bet all $12k I had on it that I would succeed. Coded 12hrs/day. Was desperate to be out of construction. Got a job at a startup and made a lot more $$ then I ever had. Started doing Sidewalker behaviors (spending hundreds of dollars on partying and dates), justifying it by the fact that I had to suffer a lot in previous years so I should enjoy myself. In a way, I have no regrets now that I paid that money back.

27 - Lost my job. Lost my car and apartment since I had $0 saved. Couldn't get another job because my skills were too niche based at previous company. Spent 3 months in a room coding 12 hours/day until I had a more marketable coding skill. Got a new job.

27-29 - Spent 2 years working nonstop with no vacation. Commuting 2 hours/day. Started getting depressed and hating life. Felt like I was bleeding money in LA (high rent, car, CA tax, etc). Wanted out. I knew I was producing the most on my team (at my job) so I resigned and said I was moving to Austin but I would be willing to do contract work. They said I could work remote. So I got full time remote work on contract.

I got to Austin and started controlling my schedule and work environment. Started tasting freedom. Started feeling alive again. That was around 4 months ago. Did some work from Colombia in October. I'm heading to Mexico next week to work from there/have lower expenses/less taxes. (I got a re-up on my contract through Dec 2018)

I know if I want actual freedom, this isn't enough. This is cool, and it feels good, but it's not freedom. I need to finish the job and make an actual business that gets me actual wealth. At the point where I can't tolerate another situation where I'm trading code/hours of my time for a fee. Having the medical condition really magnifies the situation. I need to resolve this for good. Just turned 30 and I'm feeling the sense of urgency. Finding this forum couldn't have come at a better time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...