The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Social Network for boomers

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
New social network site for babyboomers: Pensionbook

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Who says boomers can't be social!?! Hello, some boomers/older folks live extremely social lives.

Sorry, I don't find the ad to be that funny. In fact, I think it'd be a brilliant idea to start some sort of online social network for older folks. Afterall, age is a state of mind!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Off course age is a state of mind!
But I think that older folks tend to dislike computers (at least from where I'm from)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The picture is funny but I think the idea is great -- I know many seniors that are active on the internet. There seems to be two groups of seniors: Those who fear the computer will explode if they press a wrong button and those who embrace it and actually use it daily.

I wonder if any research is available that shows seniors who are active on the web.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Wow, so everyone who is a Boomer is a Senior and is to old for the internet?

I guess I should stop reading & stop posting.

Maybe I should get a walker and live in assisted living.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
No! At least in my case, that's NOT what I was saying. My Dad is 60 and has a blog! (he's a lawyer not in tech)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Janet, I'm with you. Of course, I think we're very close to the same age as well.

It's interesting how fast this thread went to age-ism. (Not sure on the spelling, or if it's even a word)

First of all, I'm not offended - just interested.

If you had substituted "woman" or "black" or "Latino" for any of the things that were said here about Seniors, I suspect the moderators would have been all over this thread and it would have been pulled.

But, it was okay to say all of those things because it was based on age???

I heard Gloria Steinham (remember her anybody?) a few years back and she said the discrimination she faced with being over 60 was WAY worse then she ever experienced as a woman.

Just food for thought....if anyone is interested. :coffee:

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
So where can I apply to become a developer? :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
wow, I wasn't expecting that this silly joke would raise emotions that way.
It was supposed to be funny, not offensive.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Me neither, I apologize if anyone felt offended, that was not my intention :(

I think that I would feel upset too if it were about Latino's, Diane, you're right.

About the statistics MJ:

I don't know if this info is to be trusted, but it says -among other things- that in Australia, with a 70.2 % Internet penetration among population, only 12.9% are 65 years old or more.

In this one about the UK, it says:
"There is still a large divide between the young and the old, with 83 per cent of the 16 to 24 age group accessing the Internet within 3 months prior to interview, compared with 15 per cent of the 65+ age group. This is also supported by data that show there are now only 10 per cent of the 16 to 24 age group who have never used the Internet, compared with 82 per cent of the 65+ age group."

Here is a more detailed study but it costs $300!

And if you check this it says that "over 55s, or ‘silver surfers’, are close to becoming the largest demographic age group online."

So I think yes, it could be a good idea to develop a social network!

Cheers for everyone!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
No worries.

I think that one of the benefits of the Internet forum is that we get such a diverse group of people together, but who share common goals. You get a chance to meet people from different parts of the worlds and who come from different places, in a social-economic sense. It broadens our reach, and our sensibilities. And, along the way, we often get the opportunity to look at things in a completely different way.

I like that a lot.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Me too, In reality, I think that internet knows no age, country, skin color or religion. In fact, I have never viewed myself as a "latino" or "argentinian", I'm a citizen from earth, that's it.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I'm not offended, I have been thinking that maybe I might like assisted living. No more house work, no more yard work, and I'd most likely be the youngest coolest chick in the joint. Might work out for the best at that. LOL.
Just think it's funny that people use boomer to cover such a wide range of people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.