The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So....

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I've been retired now, out of the race for...er....two-three years?

What's going on? Russ and Spidey still around?

I spun by the RD forums and it was like a school zone.

BTW, I like all the emoticons. :smxB:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Doood!

And here I figured you got some special secret agent assignment, and had to go deep under cover.

(either that, or you were in jail! ;) )

Missed you bro'-- whatcha been up to?

Still seeing Erin Grey? ;)

I've posted a couple of updates on our sitch in the past few days-- look at the 2000-2009 thread, or just search a few of my past posts.

Been thinking about you for some reason. Great to see you post! :banana:

-Russ H.

PS I would LOVE to see you post to the above thread-- having seen some of the amazing changes you went through when you first joined the RD boards, I'm guessing you have a helluva story.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PS Spidey goes by "Venom" on these boards.

Haven't seen much of him. :(

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
*ahem*....that's JENNIFER Grey.

Figgered it's time to get back in the game. I was looking at a grain elevator operation that was up for auction a couple weeks ago, and had an idea for some bicycle accessories (now that I know a lot about plastics), earlier this summer.

Like a disease, it's pulling me out of my cocoon....

How's the wine this year? Any good recommendations to overcome my fondness for Cotes du Rhone?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
*ahem*....that's JENNIFER Grey.

Gotcha! :D

Figgered it's time to get back in the game. I was looking at a grain elevator operation that was up for auction a couple weeks ago, and had an idea for some bicycle accessories (now that I know a lot about plastics), earlier this summer.

Like a disease, it's pulling me out of my cocoon....

Good to hear. And an appropriate metaphor-- I remember you talking about your appearance (and it being scary to small children), and all I kept thinking was: Is he serious? Does this guy realize how many people's lives he's changed for the better w/his posts? No one cares about your sub orbital ridges! (or whatever the heck it is that Neanderthal men have-- call me clueless on that one).

So like a caterpillar who holed his-self up, here you are, coming out as a butta-fly!

(sorry, I've been a bit short in the metaphor department lately. I does my best.)

How's the wine this year? Any good recommendations to overcome my fondness for Cotes du Rhone?

Well, I did find a South African wine I thought you might like. Now where was that bottle . . .

Actually, some of the stuff coming out of South America right now is insane. Under $10 a bottle, and really, really good.

Oh what the heck, keep drinking those fur coats from the Rhone. They'll keep you warm this winter. ;)

-Russ H.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I remember talking to Erin on the phone.

Dang that lady drinks a lot of coffee....

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I remember talking to Erin on the phone.

Dang that lady drinks a lot of coffee....

Yeah, that's not the only thing she likes to drink.

Don't go toe to toe w/her at a bar, bubba. You'll regret it. ;)

I miss her. Haven't heard much from her since *you* disappeared (hence my astute conclusion that the two of youse was on the lam somewheres) ;)

I'm running out to dinner (and to drive around w/the missus and lil' one to look at Christmas lights). Will check in later! :)

-Russ H.

Bobbo- great to hear SteveO will be at the Beer & Pancakes 2010! (and I was intentionally mixing up Erin Morgan and Jennifer Grey-- we had a joke going for a while that they were the same person)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Talk about a blast-from-the-past; I think you were member #3 to join here many moons ago.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
So.....what do all of you brainiacs know about farming?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
So.....what do all of you brainiacs know about farming?

I only have 2 words for you as a potential investor:

Govt Subsidies.

Farmers (large scale) are the mother of all govt subsidies-- totally under the radar from the tax/citizen's rights groups (who would want to take money away from a poor, humble farmer?)

Had a client a while ago who owned thousands of acres of peanuts. He'd inherited part of the family biz from his daddy, and grew it bigtime.

I remember him telling me, offhand, that he got paid more some years *not* to grow things-- so he'd structured his entire PLAN around using govt subsidies that prolly weren't going to go away.

A related article (note: My client is not mentioned, his farms were not in OK)

Was more than a millionaire. Just don't know how many zero's he had behind that first number. :)

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Had a client a while ago who owned thousands of acres of peanuts. He'd inherited part of the family biz from his daddy, and grew it bigtime.

Bet he was in Georgia! and his name wasn't Jimmy.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I've been retired now, out of the race for...er....two-three years?

What's going on? Russ and Spidey still around?

I spun by the RD forums and it was like a school zone.

BTW, I like all the emoticons. :smxB:

Hey Man --

Congrats on getting out of the RR! I assumed maybe you had gone under with all of the hype about the bad markets in Michigan, but you must have invested for cashflow and done things right. Great job!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Been thinking about you for some reason. Great to see you post! :banana:

-Russ H.

PS I would LOVE to see you post to the above thread-- having seen some of the amazing changes you went through when you first joined the RD boards, I'm guessing you have a helluva story.

YES! Lets hear it!!:hurray::smxB::groove::fastlane:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, so my burning question is:

What is it about this thread that is attracting these ads? :wtf:

-Russ H.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
OK, so my burning question is:

What is it about this thread that is attracting these ads? :wtf:

-Russ H.

Farming
Cows
Moo
Bubba
bear and pancakes

.... Georgia?

Just a few guesses.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
What...you don't recognize Ms. Grey when you see her?

Ouchie.

Actually, the real Erin Grey (Buck Rogers fame) is looking OK:

Erin Grey who played Col. Wilma Deering on Buck Rogers on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sadly, though, she's been reduced to signing autographs at comic book conventions (see the poster's comment on the link above).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvkSrjB5GI&feature=fvw[/ame]

And Jason's heart throb (Macy Gray) is also looking fa-boo:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.bvonstyle.com/media/2009/06/macy_gray2.jpg :D

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oops. I stand corrected, Bobbo.

Apparently, Erin Grey did get bigger . . .

only not what you'd think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmeSi0_ZrVc&feature=related]YouTube - Erin Gray sure got bigger in the 90's.[/ame]

(serves me right for googling "Erin Grey bigger"). Oof.

-Russ H.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
[shakes head and walks away at the horror of thinking people would mistake the Greys.....] :coffee:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I only does it to bait ya, big guy.

Hoping to bring you back around these here parts.

Lame, I know, but it's all I got. :shruggie:

Where you livin' these days?

-Russ H.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
YES! Lets hear it!!:hurray::smxB::groove::fastlane:

I'm sorry; I didn't see your reply. The answer is simple. I was simply too stupid to watch and listen to the idiots, I mean experts on television spouting off. I knew within 6 months after 911 that something was wrong, and I knew, I mean...I knew in 2003 that the housing was going to collapse. At the time, the only other people taking that line were people who thought Bush orchastrated 911 and people who wore tin-foil hats (oh....and a couple of Nobel-prize winning economists who thought Greenspan was an idiot...). But it was obvious. I got OUT of construction and into real estate, then into commercial, then sold everything by...2006, I think. I put a lot of my money into gold like the other tin-foil hat people.

Since then, I've been like that guy...you remember him Russ; he was the big fireworks freak--the young guy over on the RD forums. He'd do something for a while, make enough money, then sit back and wait till it started to run dry, then come out again.

Now the time is getting just about right for looking into a couple things. I mean; you can practically buy a manufacturing plant here for what a nice car costs. You can get labor for next to nothing, and muncipalities will do ANYTHING to bring in business. Now is the time.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I'm sorry; I didn't see your reply. The answer is simple. I was simply too stupid to watch and listen to the idiots, I mean experts on television spouting off. I knew within 6 months after 911 that something was wrong, and I knew, I mean...I knew in 2003 that the housing was going to collapse. At the time, the only other people taking that line were people who thought Bush orchastrated 911 and people who wore tin-foil hats (oh....and a couple of Nobel-prize winning economists who thought Greenspan was an idiot...). But it was obvious. I got OUT of construction and into real estate, then into commercial, then sold everything by...2006, I think. I put a lot of my money into gold like the other tin-foil hat people.

Since then, I've been like that guy...you remember him Russ; he was the big fireworks freak--the young guy over on the RD forums. He'd do something for a while, make enough money, then sit back and wait till it started to run dry, then come out again.

Now the time is getting just about right for looking into a couple things. I mean; you can practically buy a manufacturing plant here for what a nice car costs. You can get labor for next to nothing, and muncipalities will do ANYTHING to bring in business. Now is the time.

Very cool, if I'm reading this right.

Find a shut down plant in an area w/20% unemployment, where you can build some kind of solar or alternate power gizmos, develop a biz plan, and get yourself a few mil in govt funding, not to mention prop tax breaks and other kinds of incentives . . .

Or is there a different direction you're thinking about?

-Russ H.

PS Dee-lighted to hear you cashed out. We considered doing in in '05 (would have had an easy 2 mil), but we decided we were having too much fun. Erk. :coco:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...