The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I'm turning 20 in two days....

D

DeletedUser394

and I'm not content. Haven't done much with my life up to this point, and I'm slated to go back to school in a month.

Basically I want some adventure.. maybe move to another country for a year or two (or forever), screw university altogether, get a job (have one currently), and build a business on the side.

I have a very boring life, and am too dependent on family for most things (a roof over my head being the biggest thing I guess). I want to finally achieve independence.

I'd like to build something, in a new place, starting off on my own.. thoughts? Anyone ever feel like this?

I don't want to slog through school for another 4-5 years (which is what is about to happen), and I'm annoyed/frustrated with most of my family. I don't have many (okay any lol) friends in the city I live in now, so there's really nothing keeping me here.

I know there are many countries with incredibly low cost of living (yes, standards are lower as well... so long as I don't get some kind of disease and die within a month of being there, that'd be nice).. so if I got some crap job (or two) and was able to support myself fully while experiencing new things in a new place I think I'd be happy... or at least happier than I am now. There isn't a country on earth, that I wouldn't consider moving to (well, North Korea, Cuba, etc are out obviously)... but China seems interesting.

I like exploring and seeing new things. After a while being in the same place/situation it gets old and I want to move on. I'm open to moving anywhere and doing anything.

I speak french, so that opens up another 40+ countries as valid possibilities.

The problem I can think off of the top of my head would have to do with visas/travel restrictions. I'm Canadian (not american) if that changes any options, etc.

Anyway, would like to hear if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/opinions/personal stories/experiences.

I'd even work for someone for free if it meant room/board/food was covered. I'm just tired/frustrated of the same old thing, with the same people, and the same crap regurgitated and served up each and every day. I want some adventure and excitement, and I feel now is as good a time as any.

Don't get me wrong, life is decent at the moment.. but there's so much room for improvement.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Got a Tough Choice? HelpMyDecision.com Helps You Make Better Decisions!

Truth is, not a single member of this forum can really help you. We can give you stories (I decided to go to school in NYC, didn't want to stay there, now heading to Scarborough, ON). What's most important to you?

To me, it's evident you can make money anywhere, seeing how well you did in the Hustler thread.

Also, why don't you have any friends?

(If I had to recommend any place, try New Zealand. It looks awesome.)

D

DeletedUser394

Also, why don't you have any friends?

Moved to a new city around 2 years ago. Life consists of going to work, coming home, repeating. I'm somewhat introverted.

Crazy I haven't actually made any friends in a city I've lived in for over 750 days now that I think of it.. but it is what it is. Doesn't bother me at all :)

How'd you get into Canada?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Moved to a new city around 2 years ago. Life consists of going to work, coming home, repeating. I'm somewhat introverted.

Crazy I haven't actually made any friends in a city I've lived in for over 750 days now that I think of it.. but it is what it is. Doesn't bother me at all :)

How'd you get into Canada?

Going to UTSC. Management. I'll actually be able to support myself going there with the veteran's benefits I get, thanks to my father. From what I've heard, staying won't be much of a problem, either, like it is in the US (getting a work visa in the US is very hard, and I believe done on a lottery-type basis. I could be wrong). Then again, international students very rarely have plans to stay in the country that they chose to study in anyway.

Do friends matter to you? I mean, making a friend is as easy as going to a bookstore and meeting a guy/gal who is looking at the kind of books you like.

And, as far as the New Zealand thing goes, I have a friend who moved there from the US. College dropout who met a kiwi girl on WoW, decided to go visit her. After returning to the US, he packed up his stuff and moved straight away to NZ. Got a job there and everything without visa hassles. Married the girl and now they have a house together. So that can be done, if you're wondering. You may have to arrange for a job there first, though. I'm not too sure how this stuff works, all I know is that it's possible.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Ryan, I have seen you grow a lot over the last 4 years. You do have a pattern of behavior that is getting better. Since you asked here is what i have seen.

You get dissatisfied with things, people, places, yourself, etc. and you, justifiably, make a move. Then you repeat the behavior. Now, your repeating pattern has slowed down over the years. You used to get bored in days and weeks. Now you have been sticking with something months to two years. It's a sign of growing up.

Ryan, there is nothing wrong with change itself. You are very young and have a lot of experiences and life lessons in front of you. My concern is with your happiness and inner contentment.

No one and no place is responsible for making you happy with Ryan. Change is expensive in time and money. The only way to build up anything worthwhile, business, reputation, education, etc. is to stick with it through the good and bad times. If you keep getting discontent and doing the "grass is greener on the other side" you will kill a lot of years. Do the best you can to make sure that the changes are for you, not so someone or something can make you happy.

I am not telling you to change nor am I telling you not to change, that has to be your decision.

i am telling you this so you can be self aware and hopefully make the best choice for Ryan. Different life experiences and adventure is always closer than you think.

Good luck Ryan.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I say do it. You will finish school and nothing will change. You are still an entrepreneur making decisions on your own.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
If I were you I would work on my people skills first.
Moving to a new city wont necessarily change your situation...you have to put yourself out there and meet people.

Also, look up the country you want to move to...especially a place like China...I spent a month there a few months ago...its a great place, but very different to say the least.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
You want something to work on and get the satisfaction of progress? Work on your body, buy arnolds book "the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding".

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
I'm just tired/frustrated of the same old thing, with the same people, and the same crap regurgitated and served up each and every day. I want some adventure and excitement, and I feel now is as good a time as any.

Don't get me wrong, life is decent at the moment.. but there's so much room for improvement.

I would say move. I've felt this a few times, and each time I moved cities and it is certainly refreshing. I'm content where I am now (Auckland, New Zealand) however I have only been here 4 or 5 months.

I moved out of home at 18 and that was a great choice - in with some very extroverted people who would wake me up at 2am to do shots and drag me to the clubs! It certainly helped me break the monotonous "same crap regurgitated and served up each and every day" you are feeling.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
As much as I hate recommending this, since I banned video games from my lifestyle.

But I think a video game might help you for a while, or a fantasy novel, to take your mind off of reality until you see the truth clearer. Just don't jump at anything without thinking about for a month at least. Jumping to a new country is no joke, and you maybe unhappy as you are right now. Happiness is found within, I believe, and then once you know yourself you follow your self.

I see what is going to happen, I am going to drift about from plan to plan, and I think you are in the same position to just do whatever because you feel like life has no meaning. I am trying to think of the present moment, and just be happy right now.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
to take your mind off of reality until you see the truth clearer

Most people don't have the capacity to see reality, it depresses them far more than anything else, that's why they avoid it. One reason games and entertainment is such a huge business. Ryan, your traveling down a dangerous path where the very motivated people who cant figure it out just yet settle in a purgatory of depression. Your still very young, you'll be fine. If its a change you seek and you have no liabilities then time is on your side, your not even 20. Time is worth more than money any billionaire on this planet will tell you that.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Most people don't have the capacity to see reality, it depresses them far more than anything else, that's why they avoid it. One reason games and entertainment is such a huge business. Ryan, your traveling down a dangerous path where the very motivated people who cant figure it out just yet settle in a purgatory of depression. Your still very young, you'll be fine. If its a change you seek and you have no liabilities then time is on your side, your not even 20. Time is worth more than money any billionaire on this planet will tell you that.

I avoid video games/most entertainment because it's a time waste, but in some circumstances I think it helps go through time to think. Or it may not? Reality is depressing, but you have to face it of these days. If you don't, then you would be living a life someone else wants you to live. "I should go to college to make my family proud " is not good enough, "I should go to college to become a doctor/lawyer/enrich my mind" then yes, good.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"The pursuit of happiness is the source of all unhappiness."

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling."

"As long as you think that the cause of your problem is 'out there' – you're suffering in paradise."

"Life is now. There was never a time when your life was not now, nor will there ever be."

"We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are."

Calgary

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 28, 2011
Interesting. Perhaps you are blocking out the people in your life who don't have the same mindset as you.
If I recall correctly, I was trying to setup a "Calgary" meet and you didn't seem very interested (even though I was going half way across the city to chat over coffee at chapters).

Calgary is a very boring city, but there's definitely money here. I know guys who didn't even finish high school and took 3 different certificates and works in the oil rigs during the winter months making $900 a day doing nothing. The smart ones are taking school online or reading into books as there's lots of idle time up there as a "boiler" (other jobs may vary - insulator, truck driver, etc). Sometimes life is hard and unfair and you have to survive through that. If you do plan on moving, try moving to at least Vancouver before leaving the country. Vancouver and Toronto are very different in comparison to Calgary.

One thing to note - make sure you save enough money so in a worst case scenario, you can come back home and have a roof over your head.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I have a very boring life, and am too dependent on family for most things (a roof over my head being the biggest thing I guess). I want to finally achieve independence.

IMO - this is huge advantage for you. If you have a good family that takes care of you, provides food, shelter, and comfort, then you don't know how good you have it. It gives you a huge opportunity to take advantage of not having to work to pay bills, buy food, etc... You can keep on working at your entrepreneurial skills and hopefully find something that works for you. If you fail the first few times, at least it won't be a huge loss. You will learn your lesson and give it a shot at something else.

If you move to another country, your going to have to find a job so you can pay for food, shelter, clothing, etc.... You might be forced to work long hours for low pay, which would allow for minimal time to work on anything. You could get stuck in the trap of working just to survive.

On the other hand, it may teach you how tough life really is. It might force you to learn so important life lessons that may help you grow into a better person. It may also force you to learn how to work your a$$ off when your backs against the wall and you have no other option. That, in itself, can be a huge life lesson. You'll understand what it takes to survive and it could teach you what it takes for a business to survive.

Hopefully, whatever you chose, turns out well. Good Luck! And Happy Birthday!

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Maybe just go on a lil vacation for a few days if possible. I know, "wherever you go there you are," etc., but it can be nice to get away to refresh in situations like that. You might come back with a whole new perspective on everything.

D

DeletedUser394

IMO - this is huge advantage for you. If you have a good family that takes care of you, provides food, shelter, and comfort, then you don't know how good you have it. It gives you a huge opportunity to take advantage of not having to work to pay bills, buy food, etc... You can keep on working at your entrepreneurial skills and hopefully find something that works for you. If you fail the first few times, at least it won't be a huge loss. You will learn your lesson and give it a shot at something else.

If you move to another country, your going to have to find a job so you can pay for food, shelter, clothing, etc.... You might be forced to work long hours for low pay, which would allow for minimal time to work on anything. You could get stuck in the trap of working just to survive.

On the other hand, it may teach you how tough life really is. It might force you to learn so important life lessons that may help you grow into a better person. It may also force you to learn how to work your a$$ off when your backs against the wall and you have no other option. That, in itself, can be a huge life lesson. You'll understand what it takes to survive and it could teach you what it takes for a business to survive.

Hopefully, whatever you chose, turns out well. Good Luck! And Happy Birthday!

I more or less work full time now (seeing as I have nothing else to do haha).

That bold part sounds exciting.

And thanks :)

D

DeletedUser394

Maybe just go on a lil vacation for a few days if possible. I know, "wherever you go there you are," etc., but it can be nice to get away to refresh in situations like that. You might come back with a whole new perspective on everything.

B&P 2013... a year away, but I'm ready and waiting..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.