The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So...I got an Instagram DM from a musician worth $50 million

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
**subtle brag here**
---He wants to me to do some funny video edits/meme for his famous band.
---I make funny content for the golf niche on my small IG account. He likes golf and saw it from all the people who repost my stuff.
---How much time and effort should I put into this? He offered to pay, but I said I would do free work simply for the connection. Give give give...
---I doubt this would help my long term goal of growing my page with niche followers, but I understand the opportunities of big connections. I don't have a lot of free time.
Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

greenGabbard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 13, 2017
Fresno, Ca
**subtle brag here**
---I make funny content for the golf niche on my small IG account. He likes golf and saw it from all the people who repost my stuff.
---How much time and effort should I put into this? He offered to pay, but I said I would do free work simply for the connection. Give give give...
---I doubt this would help my long term goal of growing my page with niche followers, but I understand the opportunities of big connections. I don't have a lot of free time.
Thoughts?
Go for it. I always tell ppl its not who u know, but rather how u know them! So give it a go at an angle that would be beneficial to your endeavors. Good luck whatever the case....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Dude... take the payment!
I would accept pay if it was a regular occurrence that consumed all of my time. But I would rather get a get a good referral and reputation that could be worth more than a small chunk of change

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I would accept pay if it was a regular occurrence that consumed all of my time. But I would rather get a get a good referral and reputation that could be worth more than a small chunk of change
Overdeliver and get both

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
make him pay you with an endorsement of my casual app game hoppity hop and if it goes viral ill give u 50% cut of profits hahaaaaaaa

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I feel that payment makes me work harder, but to each his own!

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
**subtle brag here**
Thoughts?

could he drive a lot of traffic to your niche???

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Yeah it is a myth that doing something for free makes a person more likely to give you a referral or something. If anything it just presents you as someone willing to do something for free. So that is the kind of referral you can get.

The fact is, this is rich enough that whatever you charge won't even be a teensy tiny blip on what he makes in interest alone. So, get paid healthily for your work... do a good job... and get connections and referrals that will pay you healthy fees too.

Anyways, you already made the call here, but something to think about.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Not a fan of freebies for celebrities. I would open a door for them if their hands were full, but I wouldn't give them anything in my professional capacity (like donate stuff for awards shows like I've been asked to). I was once fooled into giving someone with a celebrity connection something for free. Once. Never again and that entire megacorp for which they work is on my perpetual shitlist.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
Yeah it is a myth that doing something for free makes a person more likely to give you a referral or something. If anything it just presents you as someone willing to do something for free. So that is the kind of referral you can get.

It's not actually a myth, it's a know effect that's been researched called the Franklin Effect (named after Benjamin Franklin)

There's more info here: Ben Franklin effect - Wikipedia

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles

Not charging is devaluing your work and your time in both your mind and his. But don’t flop on him now. Just charge in the future, or cannibalize your own market.

Let us know how this goes and if any fast lane leads come from this.

pwilliams84

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 30, 2017
Florida
**subtle brag here**
Thoughts?

Is it possible that 5 years from now you're running an agency that produces viral media in the music industry and can sell and never have to work again?

Remember that MJ's plan was originally to own a limousine company. Ells' plan was to run a small southwestern burrito place to get through school, etc.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you advertise that you did the work for him? If he/she is well known enough, that could be payment enough.

This is why we recommend pro-bono work on big companies, to build out your resume and grab the ability to create compelling copy and social proof.

It's easier to sell new clients when you can say "We just redeveloped Caterpillars website, a multi-billion dollar corporation."

Likewise, you can sell new clients saying "We did the video for 50 Cent."

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
All great advice. I’ll keep this updated when I can. My original goal was to build a large Instagram following, mainly based on a certain type of video editing, and then later make a course on how to do it. The barrier to entry is kind of high, need an expensive computer, software, creativity, and a lot of time to learn

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Can you advertise that you did the work for him? If he/she is well known enough, that could be payment enough

Likewise, you can sell new clients saying "We did the video for 50 Cent."
I’m sure I could, don’t think it would be an issue

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Is it possible that 5 years from now you're running an agency that produces viral media in the music industry and can sell and never have to work again?

Remember that MJ's plan was originally to own a limousine company. Ells' plan was to run a small southwestern burrito place to get through school, etc.
That’s a great idea. Some major golf agencies are watching me and already offering me freelance opportunities. I’m trying not to let myself get poached for a job lol.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
It's not actually a myth, it's a know effect that's been researched called the Franklin Effect (named after Benjamin Franklin)

There's more info here: Ben Franklin effect - Wikipedia

The effect states that the one who already performed the favor is more likely to perform future favors, not to receive. Meaning that he's more likely to work for free again if the musician asks him to

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
The effect states that the one who already performed the favor is more likely to perform future favors, not to receive. Meaning that he's more likely to work for free again if the musician asks him to
Yes, I looked it up yesterday. It’s very interesting. I’ve been manipulated like that before from a notorious politician in my city. It works!

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
My mistake. You're right

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
That’s a great idea. Some major golf agencies are watching me and already offering me freelance opportunities. I’m trying not to let myself get poached for a job lol.
Wait wut. You have a chance here to establish yourself within the golf niche, your niche, but you're worried it'll lead to a job?

They want to pay you to do what you're currently doing. How can you justify NOT taking that opportunity? It's freelance work - i.e. a one-time gig that could lead to more, which could lead to the hiring of employees, and before you know it you're a major service provider of whatever it is you do (edited videos?) within the space. This is your spring board...

Did I misunderstand?

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011

are you crazy what are you doing just start your agency.

getting clients is the harest part of any biz

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
**subtle brag here**
Thoughts?
Do a paid service, but throw in some freebies.

A perfect analogy would be a main course which you pay for in a restaurant, but there's free stuff like sides, drinks and appetisers.

Similarly, I suggest that if he is looking to make a big feature video to pull in the masses, offer to do other mini side-promo videos for free as well.
Or depending on your range of editing skills, you can throw in some free editing tricks which may be insignificant on first glance, but actually makes a big difference.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Wait wut. You have a chance here to establish yourself within the golf niche, your niche, but you're worried it'll lead to a job?

They want to pay you to do what you're currently doing. How can you justify NOT taking that opportunity? It's freelance work - i.e. a one-time gig that could lead to more, which could lead to the hiring of employees, and before you know it you're a major service provider of whatever it is you do (edited videos?) within the space. This is your spring board...

Did I misunderstand?
I understand, but:
1. I only have 1500 followers -- I can't attract talented employees with that. My biggest challenge will be finding creative people who are better than me who won't want equity.
2. If I freelance content to the Golf Channel, for example, it ruins my own IG page--people will think I'm copying their style. I can come back to them anytime.
3. If I freelance I literally have no time to grow my page
4. I'll have endless opportunities, especially at 10,000 followers. Nobody is going anywhere lol.
5. I also want to have local hot golf girls/models work with me to grow FAST doing creative live edits like Zach King. I'm waiting for 10k followers to even consider that

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.