The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sleep just 2 hours a day...Uberman Sleep Cycle

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
I was thinking about a previous post on sleep cycles and thought it would make a good discusion thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Uberman Sleep Cycle?

Very aggressive: 2hrs total sleep per day, six 20-25min naps evenly spaced throughout the day...

Some background:

Sleep Methods
(check out the charts and table at the bottom of the link)

Uberman Case Study

If not the Uberman has anyone adopted any other cycles?

:sleep:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Is this what Kramer tried to disastrous results?

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I tried this.

My life became crap, and I couldn't remember anything.

I'm going to try it again, and I think you need to go through a month of hell before you enjoy the fruits.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
What a horrible idea. How would you ever get anything done?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I read about somebody who tried this technique, he gave up after two weeks. The main issue to look out for is that you really can't function as your body is adapting to these changes- you're just way too tired to get anything done. So if you have a commitment to your job and your family, you're gonna have issues.

Plus if you miss just one of your little 20 minute naps you're like totally screwed- and in a way I see that as an issue. What kind of business are you doing at 2 am? Not enough to justify being awake at that time every night. However, if you have a job and need to work for 8 hours at at time, have fun explaining to your employer that you need an extra 20 minute break as part of your special sleep schedule. Or maybe you're in a meeting with a potential client but need to excuse yourself for your 4 pm afternoon sleep schedule nap.

Personally I don't need to screw myself up like that. I'll stick with the sleep schedule that everyone else is adapted to. :)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I've always heard of it referred as polyphasic sleep, i think there was a thread about it on here not to long ago

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This is so fricking dumb. Just go to bed early and get up early. I am slowly moving myself back. I was a wake up at 9AM kind of guy, but I am at 8 now and am shooting at 7. I am also going to bed at 11 instead of 1.

What kills me is when I have a meeting in the city at 9AM and I have to fight rush hour. I have to get up at 5:30 to get my workout in.

I am going to Austin tomorrow and El Campo on Wednesday. Early week.

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
Just go to bed early and get up early. I am slowly moving myself back. I was a wake up at 9AM kind of guy, but I am at 8 now and am shooting at 7. I am also going to bed at 11 instead of 1.

x2. I shoot for a solid 6 hours/night. Usually asleep by 12.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I read about it in 'The Game'.

For those guys, it was an epic failure.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the whole idea of becoming fastlane was to keep you from leveraging your time. Sooo if you want to sleep for an entire week, guess what, you are still making money and can get up when you feel like your rested.

2 hours? What are you going to do with the other 22 hours?

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I did this in college for a semester and organized my schedule around the naps. Was insane and scheduling sucked. Something seemed to always come up during one of the naps, although you could push them forward or back an hour or so. I wasted all that extra time by playing computer games non-stop.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
I have a full-time (freelance) job from 11am to 7pm (due to different timezones). But I'm still getting update requests from past freelance projects, this is absorbing most of my time now.

I used to wake up at 7AM.

Now I'm waking up at 4AM to work exlusively on my startup because I want to make a lunch THIS MONTH. Going to sleep at 10PM. Taking a 25-minutes-nap at 7AM and another in the afternoon.

Made this change overnight. Without sleep adapting. And I don't feel tired nor zombie (I also go to gym). I can wake up at 4AM MORE ALERT THAN BEFORE.

Powernaps are just a complement. Been doing them for a long time and I can fall asleep within minutes. And even feel refreshed after just 10 minutes of sleep.

My cheating days are Sundays.

Once the old freelance works are done, I'm going to continue doing this because I want to launch my business this month. And the next 3 weeks will include: marketing campaign, web design + web development.

Make your bets...

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Give me my 12 hours of sleep. I'm still growing. I'm 6'5'' but I still want to get taller/stronger. Sleep is good. I <3 sleep.

Some days I sleep 4-5 hours and others I sleep 8-12 hours. Just depends on the day. I don't focus on sleeping a set amount of time. I go to sleep when I'm tired and wake up when I'm fully rested.
Working out tends to knock the crap out of you if you push yourself everyday.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I would find it more productive to just find out the bare minimum of sleep a person needs to function well for the day, then do that. I am one who doesn't like constant interruptions. For instance, after work and being done at 330, I find myself sometimes being unproductive because I know dinner comes around at 5-530, so I like to eat dinner as soon as possible (girlfriend hates eating at 5). I can't imagine taking 25 min breaks every few hours to sleep. Would rather enjoy a nice bed for 6 hrs a night.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
You need 6-8 hours of sleep for your metabolism to reset, now you can probably do that on a different cycle than every 24 hours. What I don't really get is, what's the point of only sleeping 2 hours? Nobody else you hang with will do that. If you can't get everything done, you are probably doing it wrong.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I gave this a stab in college, but I was never able to stick to the very regimented schedule for more than a couple of weeks. Pavlina did a lot of posting about this (some linked in the other thread). Whenever I see a post about this, the response is almost universally negative, no matter where it's posted, but I'm a little surprised that there's anyone here who wouldn't be able find value in having more time.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
I tried not sleeping for 36 hours and then slept for 6 hours, woke up, another 36 hours with no sleep and then I gave up. Not that I was not focused or couldn't accomplish the tasks I needed to, but I was eating/drinking like crazy in order to keep myself focused ... if I didn't care about my fitness I would be able to work out that schedule w/o any problem for weeks :)

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Depriving yourself of sleep is one of the worst things you can do in your life. It will wreck your health, starting with the heart and brain.
The average adult needs at least 6 hours of quality sleep.
So, it seems wise to accept that a day has 'only' 18 working hours max.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I gave this a stab in college, but I was never able to stick to the very regimented schedule for more than a couple of weeks. Pavlina did a lot of posting about this (some linked in the other thread). Whenever I see a post about this, the response is almost universally negative, no matter where it's posted, but I'm a little surprised that there's anyone here who wouldn't be able find value in having more time.

Time... isn't that more precious than money itself?

Well I can't do this schedule, but I'm kind of doing the dual core sleeping pattern, so I only get 4 hrs a sleep a day. It's basically sleeping for 2 hours, and then another 2 hrs with a gap of 6-8 hrs. Nothing to strict.

I sleep for brain-taxing activities, but if it just non-important like menial labor work OR exercise then I will take caffeine pills.

http://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/overviews/dual-core/

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
but I'm a little surprised that there's anyone here who wouldn't be able find value in having more time

I'm with you splok, pondering eliminating sleep is like searching for the fountain of youth. I would happily give up the need for sleep! Gaining 6-8 hours a day to accomplish stuff. It works out to be around ~2 extra (24hr) days a week!

Fun with math time, 2 extra days a week = 104 extra days a year which means over the next 10 years I almost gain an extra 3 years of life experiences (~2.84 years)! So over the next 50 years I would hit 14 years of extra time. Thus living my life experience age would be 99 even though my body was 85...

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
I can't see the Uberman method working for an athlete, sports professionals, etc?? How much effect will the body have after a physical training workout, gym, tournaments, etc? I read some of those links on 'sleep studies'. Those studies apply mainly to obesity and nothing on various body types(slim, athletic, etc), height, blood type, etc, to prove that sleeping outside of 6-8hrs is unhealthy. I have an athlete body and sometimes I sleep under 6hrs and over 8hrs but not all the time.

Quite interesting to know the different sleeping methods.

D

Deleted5250X

This thread has been a wake up call and has helped me realize how much not getting enough sleep has screwed me up. Last year around this time I was getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night and eating healthy and exercising daily. From January through May I was more productive and got more accomplished than I had in the previous 3 years combined; I finished 61 Semester Units in that time frames.

In August I started a corporate sales job and can tell you it has taken its toll on my health. It is absolutely crazy the toll the stress and lack of sleep takes on your health and degrades my performance at work. If you are able to. Get your sleep.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
This thread has been a wake up call and has helped me realize how much not getting enough sleep has screwed me up. Last year around this time I was getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night and eating healthy and exercising daily. From January through May I was more productive and got more accomplished than I had in the previous 3 years combined; I finished 61 Semester Units in that time frames.

In August I started a corporate sales job and can tell you it has taken its toll on my health. It is absolutely crazy the toll the stress and lack of sleep takes on your health and degrades my performance at work. If you are able to. Get your sleep.

I wish that was true for me, but sleep has only hurt me. When I sleep my day is just thrown off to the curve, and I am too lazy to get anything accomplish. I get 10x more accomplish when I am sleep deprived, taking caffeine pills, and just being insane about my projects. I notice my life fell apart if I am not continuing pushing myself to the limit, because my family thinks it's unhealthy.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I don't think some people can do it. 5 or so years ago, I worked long nights for a year...got about 4-4.5 hours a day sleep maybe; I was tired for basically a year straight and never adjusted. Couldn't do anything physical, even on days off, due to lack of energy and mental dullness.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
If you can fit 6 hours of sleep a night, you should be fine. Your body needs on average 7 hours, you can take an hour off and start your day a little earlier. From the productivity and brain storming throughout the morning, you could fit in a 30-40 min nap at midday and follow it with a cup of coffee. Works like a gem for me and my days are much more PRODUCTIVE.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Don't be mistaken about the number of hours sleep you need.

We don't all need 7 to 8 hours.
Some of us can do with 4 to 5 hours per night.

But that is a genetic thing.
By far the most of us simply need 7 to 8 hours.

Less sleep in the short run means less productivity per hour.
In the long run it means it slowly destroys your body which is the most basic asset that you have in your whole life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.