The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Skydiving

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
In what I'd like to call a moment of insanity I called up the local skydiving club and secured a spot for a Tandem Skydive on my birthday, now mind you, I suffer from acrophobia (fear of heights) but this has been on my bucket list for some time now and I think I finally gathered enough courage to actually do it.
Any regular skydivers here? What is it really like? Is it worth the shock I'm gonna get due to my phobia? :smxF:
Would love to hear any opinions from people who did it.
Best Wishes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
I did it once on my b-day. It was a tandem from 14k to sea level and it was not nearly the rush I thought it was going to be. Since you are so high looking down you don’t really have the images of smacking the ground like you do when you are standing next to a cliff. I was more awakened by the flight up to drop height then I was the freefall. In fact I would say jumping from a 20ft high dive into water is about the level of rush I got. Big props to you on taking steps to get over your fears.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Big Rep++ boost for signing up to face your fear!

Believe me, you won't regret it. It's truly one of the most amazing feelings in all the world!

Your courage will be tested once you start to step out on the edge of the plane. But if you can push yourself to 3-2-1-GO!, you will be glad you did. Skydiving is awesome!!!

I only went once before - a tandem dive, like what you're going on, but getting my skydiving license has always been on my "bucket list" as well.

A piece of advice - as you're descending and are just about to touch the ground (it comes quicker than you would think) START RUNNING - as in while you're still in the air - that way you make a good landing and aren't taking a faceplant. A buddy of mine took a faceplant when we went together (he didn't run before touching down) - my sides hurt from laughing. :rofl: It was sooo funny. So be sure and run, and don't be "that guy".

Enjoy the fall!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I had a fear of flying as well as a fear of heights. I decided that skydiving would cure both of them, so I did it. It was a tandem jump, and since the instructor was taller than me and I was strapped to him, I didn't really have a choice about jumping out of the door as my feet barely even touched the ground lol.

The free fall was a crazy feeling for me. I couldn't catch my breath at all. Kinda like how when you are on a roller coaster and you go over a hill into a big drop and your stomach jumps into your lungs and your heart jumps into your throat. That's the feeling, except it lasts a long time. Once he pulled the chute I really enjoyed myself seeing all the scenery at a birds' eye view.

It's not something that I would do again, but it was worth doing. :)

Oh, and I no longer have a fear of flying or heights--as a matter of fact getting my pilot's license is now on my bucket list.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulation! Skydiving is a fun thing to do. Once you did it, you felt that nothing can stop you! You appreciate the earth more! It's beautiful up there. :)

I remember someone in this forum post a thread about leaving your comfort zone. When I graduated from College. I have to finish military duty. I was so afraid of height and had many other excuses to avoid the challenges.

I finally made the most difficult decision to join the paratroopers / special force division. I got 9 days non-stop intense training before the first jump. I still remember the first time I get on the air plane in my life. 10 minutes later, I jump out the airplane. That was a life time experience.

I fall in love with that. I truly believe that earth is round! :) I have no fear to the height any more!

Now I felt nothing stop me! If I can jump out the airplane and land safely, there is nothing more difficult than that. You have to get out your comfort zone and challenge yourself with something that is impossible to your mental weakness.

BTW, I jump into the fish pound the first time. The 13KG parachute became 54KG. I have to run to the base station after that. I was so happy to survive after all. :)

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Trust me. Jump from 14K is much easier than jump from 400Meters.

You only have 4 seconds to react, if your main chute don't open. It will take only other 4 seconds to become a flat pancake to kiss the ground. :)

I would love to try base jump, if I am still single! :)

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Hey Laughed At, nice move. I'm not an expert, but I've made 8 jumps. You're going to love it. My recommendation is to skip going tandem and go with the AFF course if they offer it. That’s what I did.

The Accelerated Free Fall course takes about 8 hours to complete, but you can usually jump after it’s done. The difference in that and a tandem jump is that they actually teach you how to operate the equipment, how to fly through the air, and you actually make the jump yourself (you aren’t strapped to some dude).

It’s a much better way to go you actually feel like you are in control of the jump. There are instructors that are there with you the first few times, but with each jump you become more autonomous.

So what’s it like? Like I said, you finish the training and then you suit up. The suit is usually either a flight suit or a spandex suite that has handles on the legs and arms (for instructors to grab). You’ll also get some goggles, a radio, and some schools offer a helmet.

Now my perspective was a little different because I’ve grown up flying. I’ve even flown small Cessna 172s like the one I jumped from, so to me going up in the plane was not a big deal. A lot of people get nervous about small planes because they aren’t used to the noise. What’s even weirder is getting into an airplane that has no seats. Don’t let the noise psych you out. Just think of it like a motorcycle, noisy but safe, kind of.

I remember the first jump, taking off and watching the airport become smaller and smaller. The instructors were talking some, but mostly stared out the windows while the small plane putted skyward foot by foot.

I looked at the altimeter on my wrist as it neared 12, 500 ft. It was around that time that the instructors started to look out the ground and spot check the landing zone and for clouds (you don’t want to jump through clouds). After they radio the ground, the lead instructor put his finger to his throat and signaled to the pilot to cut the engine. That is when things became surreal. The throttle goes to the off position and the noisy engine is suddenly mute. That’s when you realize that the noise was actually comforting.

The instructor reached over to the door and released the hatch. With a sudden spring, the door flies open and a rush of wind fills the airplane. I remember Randy (instructor) looking at me and shouting, “Are You Ready to Skydive?” He and the other instructors smiled as they put their hands into a huddle, kind of like foot ball players do. Suddenly, the cult like nature of this group struck me as I saw that all three of the instructors were wearing skull and cross bone rings.

At that time, the instructor with the camera began to exit the airplane. The Cessna 172 is a high wing plane so it was interesting to watch him crawl up the strut and hang off the wing, flying like Superman. Next I was told to go to edge of the doorway. Randy, crawled out the plane having one hand on one of my suit’s handles.
I stepped out onto the door step the way I was trained. You are basically half way in the plane and half out. It was fascinating to look down at my right foot and see the ground 2 miles below. Looking up, the propeller was spinning slowly about 4 feet in front of us. Going through the count sequence I was taught, we released on three. This is when the wind noise went from loud, to deafening.

The first 3 seconds of that fall are burned into my memory as I watched the airplane pull away from me. At first, it was back dropped by blue sky above, but then my body rotated to the freefall position and horizon rushed up into view. I remember thinking, “I can’t believe I’m doing this” as I absorbed the new experience. A few seconds later, the camera person flew up to me and filmed me giving various hand gestures to the camera (thumbs up, what were you thinking?).

You don’t get the sensation that you are falling at all. At least I didn’t. It’s not like jumping off of a fence or a house. It was completely relaxing.

At first, you don’t realize how fast time goes, but I remember the instructor signaling that it was time to pull the chute. I guess I took a little longer than he liked because he forced me to pull. Of course, they get to go to the low deck 1,500 feet before pulling. The newbies have to pull at 5,000.

With a sudden jolt, the five part harness you wear pulls tightly as you watch the canopy unfurl above you (at least you hope it does, look up Burble, it happened to me once). Then just as suddenly as the noise began, it’s over. You find yourself a mile high, drifting by yourself with birds flying below you.

Then a few seconds later, the radio you are given begins to sound out as the ground instructor tells you how to do a toggle check. It’s awesome, watching the ground slowly rise to your feet (by the way, I never fell, and didn’t run). You touch down slowly and can’t believe what you just did. By the time you get down, the camera person has taken their chute off and met you to record your first thoughts.

So in conclusion, it’s an awesome experience. If you are going to do it, might as well go all out, get it recorded, and realize that you are doing what only a small percentage of people are willing to do. Happy birthday and Blue Skies.

One more thing, if you go AFF, hold on to the rip cord, otherwise tradition says you have to buy the instructors a case of beer.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
...as you're descending and are just about to touch the ground (it comes quicker than you would think) START RUNNING - as in while you're still in the air - that way you make a good landing and aren't taking a faceplant.

...watching the ground slowly rise to your feet (by the way, I never fell, and didn’t run). You touch down slowly...

This is probably the difference between the tandem and AFF - landing with an extra 200 lbs. on your back is probably the reason they tell you to start running just before touching down.

I'll have to add the AFF course to the bucket list.

Either way you choose to go LaughedAt, here's to a thrill ride, a rush, and of course - safe landings. :cheers:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
There is no rollercoaster ride feeling since the G's are not there.

The flight up is more scary than the actual dive. when you think about what you are about to do :)

it's really, really cold.

the wind is going to hit your face really hard, almost unbearable, for about 30 seconds

your ears will hurt really bad from change in pressure

did I mention it is really cold?

the chute pull is not as strong as people claim it is.

I did 360's and 180's on the first jump and if they let you do it, you have to pull HARD on the strap to manuever.

pull on both to slow down and land in case your instructor passes out. JK :)

enjoy it. the first 2 seconds out the plane you will have no idea what happened.

TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES.

do a flip if you can out of the plane.

the 3-2-1 is going to scare the crap out of you when you are sitting at the open door looking down :)

good luck

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
The best part about skydiving, If you do nothing, You WILL Die. Talk about motivation :) What if we applied that kind of motivation to all aspects of life? Just a thought.

Classic!

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
BUMP.
First of all I'd like to thank you all for encouraging me to do this, I just went yesterday, I couldn't do it back in May due to some personal problems, but I did it yesterday and let me tell you, it's not something you wanna miss, no matter how old you are you have to try it out, we had a couple who were 65+ on our flight and a 13 year old girl, it's an amazing feeling, and as Rawr said, the scariest moment is when you're sitting on the plane's door and the instructor is counting down and BAM!!... for the first couple of seconds it's INSANE, you won't have an idea how much of an adrenaline rush it is unless you try it out yourself, you'll hardly get the chance to catch your breath, it passes so fast you won't feel it, and then the parachute pulls and it isn't as brutal as it looks, and you get 7 minutes of gorgeous views and relaxation.
I would really recommend it to anyone looking to do something different and extreme!
Thanx all:smx6:

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Congratz on completing your jump. Hopefully, the experience will propel you forward in life and the fastlane.

speed +++

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
My older son JUST broke it to me the other day, that he is trying to go skydiving with his friend.... silence fell into the room.... I asked nervously... "Your going to do it tandem right?" .. "Oh Yeah, of course!" ... sigh

I said "Because I know a guy who's name is Bounce! .. It's bounce for a reason." My son knew the story already..

Then I said.... "Patrick Swayze's brother who is an expert sky diver and he had an accident and lost a leg".....he knew that too... my son took dance lessons from Patsy Swayze.. she is one of my favorite people on the planet!

I get to be a little nervous.. that's my job! I'm a mother!

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
WildFlower-I hear ya! I'm a parent too. I just hope that if my kids ever do something like skydiving that they tell me AFTER the fact! I have curbed unnecessary risks since becoming a parent (no more bungee jumping or helicopters). I did take my daughters up parasailing recently. My 4-year old has no fear. My 8-year old was apprehensive until I got her up there. They both loved it. Great experiences.

Rep++ to LaughedAt though for doing something adventurous and challenging yourself and your fears!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Yea the view from above is pretty nice...
9616_632825121549_32808720_37447062_305840_n.jpg

We went two weeks ago and it was a blast, being a skydiving instructor would be a nice gig, the instructor I jumped with says he only works 8mo's a year and travels the other 4, only issue is you have to have 500 jumps and be in the sport for atleast 3yrs before you can become a certified instructor :smxB:

LaughedAt- congrats(rep+++), btw I had the same fears as you- the plane ride IMO was the scariest part, being at the door wasn't too bad. As far as the chute opening, I was also concerned only to realize afterwards that it looks like that on video b/c the cameraman is still falling, so the chute doesn't actually "yank" you up, lol, I still grabbed the straps pretty hard just in case :p

WildFlower- as far as an experienced jumper such as Swayze's brother getting hurt/dying, I looked into the stats and a majority of fatalities are experienced jumpers who overestimate their abilities, in fact the owner of Skydive Chicago where we went died a few years back in a mid-air collision, a guy who had thousands of jumps under his belt, but did not put safety first.

In addition, they mentioned 3 things- 1) there is no "perfect" parachute, but reserve deployment are usually 1 in 1000 or more, 2) even if your instructor passes out and you can't pull the cord there is an auto-deployment feature built in at about 2000ft, 3) The fatality rate for skydiving is much lower than driving, however, like flying itself, the fear is that ANY accident will be fatal, versus driving where a) you have control, b) a majority of accidents are non-fatal.

photo.php

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Congratulation! How exciting!

I have never jump higher than 400M (I was paratrooper), So I only have 4 seconds to react, if the chute don't open. And 32 seconds to enjoy the view before landing.

Skydiving is one of the thing I love to die for!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.