The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Size of the universe

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You must have just watched "The Universe". It was on the history channel today and discussed this topic. Now what is going to blow minds is that time (or the perception of it) is different around each of those stars based on gravity's influence. At least that's the way I understand it.

Nope, I haven't seen it, but I'll try to DVR it tonight if it comes on again.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I don't know about you guys, but when I look at stuff like this I get really sad.

We are living without a clue as to what is there. And I doubt we will know within our lifetime.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I don't get sad, but it's amazing that a simple diagram can put things into perspective.

I suspect, depending on certain people's beliefs, this might wreck them in a hurry. lol I know it has mine before.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think that at some point you just cannot comprehend the size of some of the stars.

So I'm thinking ok, earth is a grain of sand and Pollux is a Grapefruit. Arcturus could be about a basketball.

Rigel is a the size of a ball chair.
Betelgeuse is about 12 ft in diameter.
KY Cygni is about 50 ft in diameter.
VV Cephei is about 150 ft in diameter.
VY Canoris Major is then about 300 ft in diameter!

Earth is a grain of sand and the largest star is a ball 300 ft tall!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I think that at some point you just cannot comprehend the size of some of the stars.

So I'm thinking ok, earth is a grain of sand and Pollux is a Grapefruit. Arcturus could be about a basketball.

Rigel is a the size of a ball chair.
Betelgeuse is about 12 ft in diameter.
KY Cygni is about 50 ft in diameter.
VV Cephei is about 150 ft in diameter.
VY Canoris Major is then about 300 ft in diameter!
Earth is a grain of sand and the largest star is a ball 300 ft tall!

Exactly, after Rigel its pretty much incomprehensible - it's all just HUGE.

I tried to think how long it would take to fly across - say 18 hrs for earth - thats a couple of years a few starts up.

Say hi to grandma, when you see her again she might be 4 years older!

G-99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks for posting that link I’ve seen that a while ago, but it’s still incredible every time I see it. Another way to see how small we are, we are orbiting the sun at 19 MPS (miles per second). Are solar system is flying around space at 134 MPS (miles per second) 482400 MPH. This is just are solar system and think about how many are out there.
We are flying if you think about. It is hard to think that fast so you can look at it this way. A .50 Caliber sniper round flies at 2700 ft/sec this is 1841 MPH. The space shuttle leaves the atmosphere at 17500 MPH 25700 ft/sec mach 22 and we are not even slightly close to the speed of are solar system.
So the next time you are having a bad day just remember that we are on a rock flying through space and we all could have a really bad day….

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007

So the next time you are having a bad day just remember that we are on a rock flying through space and we all could have a really bad day….

:smxF: That's the way I look at things sometimes.

It's great putting things in different perspectives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.