The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Site to check movement in the city(night)

Tiigs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2017
Me and my friend are thinking in building a website/app so that anyone will be able to check how crowned are some parts of the city during night.

We live in medium size student city where no one is doing this, so no competition .

I do think that I have the html/css/js to make the website happen, the hard part will be building the app and setting up the cams.

Our main concern are the privacy issues relative to the people and bars.

Do you guys think that this idea is worth a shot?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tiigs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2017
Why not buy opted-in location data instead? Cams seem like unnecessary overhead, and you get around the privacy issues.

I get your point but I think that would just make it harder to get traction/attention , and the success of the app/web would proportional to the number of people using only app.

I'm trying to achieve something simple and easy to use. Using a app just for the geo-location option would not be enough IMO, it would have to bring something more to the table.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I get your point but I think that would just make it harder to get traction/attention , and the success of the app/web would proportional to the number of people using only app.

I'm trying to achieve something simple and easy to use. Using a app just for the geo-location option would not be enough IMO, it would have to bring something more to the table.

Not location data from your own app.

You can literally buy aggregated location data from 3rd parties. In some cases, even directly from the carriers themselves.

The infrastructure is already there. All you have to do is be a middleman.

Then once you get enough people using your own app, you can further reduce costs by not having to buy the data.

Tiigs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2017
What problem does this solve?

Before leaving the house you can check which places are more crowded. Or even on the fly on your smartphone.

Here most of the time everyone just stays outside of the bars or on the streets to party.

Tiigs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2017
Not location data from your own app.

You can literally buy aggregated location data from 3rd parties. In some cases, even directly from the carriers themselves.

The infrastructure is already there. All you have to do is be a middleman.

Then once you get enough people using your own app, you can further reduce costs by not having to buy the data.

Well I didn't know about that but I will look in to it. But it sounds a bit strange.

Imagine a app where I just post the location of a random person that did not give the permission in the app.

Maybe I just don't know how it works.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Well I didn't know about that but I will look in to it. But it sounds a bit strange.

Imagine a app where I just post the location of a random person that did not give the permission in the app.

Maybe I just don't know how it works.

It's aggregated data, kind of like how ad tracking works. You wouldn't be able to identify 1 individual person just because they visited your website and now have a tracking cookie. They'd have to put in their info themselves into a lead-gen form.

Furthermore, they opted into the data-tracking when they accepted the terms of service upon signup. The one which you're buying from. (Always vet the source of course.)

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Before leaving the house you can check which places are more crowded. Or even on the fly on your smartphone.

Here most of the time everyone just stays outside of the bars or on the streets to party.

I see. I had the same idea a couple of years back for shopping malls. Currently Google is showing this data too for each shop or address.

I think it's impossible to do this without installing expensive infrastructure. Bonus points if you can solve it without.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
We live in medium size student city where no one is doing this, so no competition .

Hi, my intention isn't to discourage, but I think Google already provides that service. Something like this:
I'm sorry it is in spanish. I'm not sure if your idea would look like this.
upload_2018-9-17_20-41-13.png

Tiigs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2017
Hi, my intention isn't to discourage, but I think Google already provides that service. Something like this:
I'm sorry it is in spanish. I'm not sure if your idea would look like this.
View attachment 21634

I'm looking for something similar, that's a google service for restaurants and specific places, I want the same but to street places with a map location.

JJGoshow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 10, 2018
Phoenix
So, specifically not traffic? And not restaurants and businesses? Just like people that are walking on the sidewalk?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.