The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sidewalkers read nothing but fiction?

darkaxum

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 27, 2011
In an effort to upgrade my wardrobe, I checked out a few goodwills and DI's that are near upscale neighborhoods. I got some killer deals on Gap and Banana Republic clothing that looks like it had only been worn once, if at all.

Perusing the rest of the store I noticed something in the books section. Absolutely no non-fiction. My deduction is that fast laners never part with good books, and that sidewalkers wouldn't buy them anyway. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I don't know. The good wills that I went always had an Atkins diet, medical dictionaries, and random college text books.

I think it depends on why you are reading it. If you're reading a book to write the next biggest thing= fastlane.

If you're reading low quality fiction then it's like watching a sit-com.

If you're reading a non-fiction about healthy eating, then you're not going to become a millionaire either. (most likely)

darkaxum

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 27, 2011
I'm not saying that fast lane people don't read fiction, I've read my share myself. Even some pulp fiction, but my library isn't full of it.

The goodwills I've been to have been stuffed with romance novels and westerns.

darkaxum

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 27, 2011
I have yet to read The Alchemist, but I've heard it's fiction?

Looking forward to picking it up.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fiction vs non-fiction has nothing to do with how much money you make. I read 2-3 nonfiction every month and usually 1 fiction.

My multimillionaire business partner reads nothing but fiction. He has never read RDPD, TAGR, HTWFAIP, all the classics, nope. We had a conversation about this today.

Basic business mindset books help kick a lot of people out of their comfort zones, but many people don't need that. I owned businesses long before I ever finished a business book.

darkaxum

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 27, 2011
Interesting! I don't mind having my assumptions proven wrong. Thanks!

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Almost any place that has (used) books will be stuffed to the brim with commercial fiction. A ton of it gets printed and it's not really meant to be re-read or held on to.

I remember when I was young and at my first used bookstore. I had a big fancy hardbook version of some hot author's latest book. I figured, Surely such a nice hardcover will have some value! And then I get there and see that it is very nearly worthless, because everyone and their mom was looking to unload their same big shiny hardbook version of that book as well.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
I get lazy whenever I read some business books but it is always fun to read fiction books! I know others get their ideas from business mindset books but what you need is a plan and ways to implement that to achieve your goal. Books help but only as a guide, you still have to do everything to make your idea work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I once saw a Suze Orman book at the goodwill store.

Could be an interested discussion between correlation, cause and effect. :)

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I'd have to say there is a strong correlation to what you read as to what you accomplish.

People that read fiction most of the time will only accomplish things in their heads.
People that read self improvement/business books will accomplish things in their own and other peoples lives.

You can disagree all you please but when I'm hiring you at minimum wage I'll point out what you read.
My sources are plentiful on this particular topic. Myself, I used to read nothing but fiction: Stephen King, Tom Clancy, etc etc then when I started to change my outlook on life and my mindset I picked up a business book.....and fell asleep reading it many times. It like anything else had to become a habit. Now when people give me fiction books I thank them and put them up on a bookshelf that is there to look nice and not be touched.
- I have plenty of slowlane employees and I have yet to see any of them read non-fiction or even from a recommended reading list.
- I've seen reading take a man from dirt farmer to multimillionaire in my life already.

So tell me what you read doesn't effect you.

If you're not growing you're dying. This applies to yourself/mind just as much as business.

*This is not to say reading fiction is inherently bad for you, you will become more intelligent and more versed in the language you're reading, so fiction is better than nothing. But for fastlaners it just won't do as a primary reading source.*

darkaxum

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 27, 2011
Need to give liquidglass some speed ++ when I'm in front of a pc...said exactly what I was trying to say.

I think that in many cases, there's a strong correlation between what your brain dwells and what your output is.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Books are only once facet of what makes people successful.

If you are out there hitting the streets, talking to people, hustling, surrounding yourself in amazing people and taking a ton of action - it doesn't matter how many times you've read through Twilight or that you don't know who Napoleon Hill is.

Likewise, if you are a loner who gets his inspiration from reading material, you may find non-fiction books to be the bread and butter of your success and consider every moment reading Harry Potter to be a step backwards in your success.

But at the end of the day, all that matters is attitude and action. As long as you can quench your mental thirst it doesn't much matter what well you draw from.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I go to thrift stores quite often to find eBay inventory. You'd be surprised how many "business mindset" books there are (like RDPD).

Maybe really successful folks donate them on purpose, but I doubt it...

D

DeletedUser394

I read about 85% fiction and 15% non fiction.

Your choice in friends and those you surround yourself with is probably more indicative of whether or not you have a fastlane mindset. Oh yeah, and actually taking action is the only thing that really determines anything.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I found Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant and Rich Dad's Guide to Investing in a Goodwill over 10 years ago. I still own them.

Times have changed and perhaps that has something to do with the fact that we are hard pressed to find non-fiction books in these locations. Maybe people who have found books like these in other such places have also kept theirs.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
I think you should read BOTH fiction and non-fiction aswell as biographies by great people.
However I think there's a very big difference between reading red pill books such as Ayn Rands and Harry Potter. I think great fiction books are very educational, they make you think about the persons how you relate to them, what you can learn from the authors message.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Who cares? Why do we care what sidewalkers are doing? I don't care. Hell, I hate this sidewalker forum. I wish it would be removed. We should focus on what fast laners are doing and doing right and only that.

Geekspeak

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 25, 2013
Philippines
Interesting observation. You may be onto something. I, for one, only read non-fiction books on business, personal growth, etc.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I know some very succesful entrepreneurs who never read business books. Reading is great, but do we really need another inspirational story how some dude changed his attitude and got rich?

The latest book I am reading is Amazon.com: Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters (9780307886231): Richard Rumelt: Books just because I was really interested in the subject. I either want to learn something I find absolutely interesting and I want to have fun. Fun and learning something interesting is equal, but I don't need to learn something, which brings me books that are fictional but great to read anyway like: The Fountainhead, 1983 and John dies at the end.

If you take massive action, I think you are better of playing some Xbox360 in your downtime instead of reading another non fictional book.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I know some very succesful entrepreneurs who never read business books. Reading is great, but do we really need another inspirational story how some dude changed his attitude and got rich?

The latest book I am reading is Amazon.com: Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters (9780307886231): Richard Rumelt: Books just because I was really interested in the subject. I either want to learn something I find absolutely interesting and I want to have fun. Fun and learning something interesting is equal, but I don't need to learn something, which brings me books that are fictional but great to read anyway like: The Fountainhead, 1983 and John dies at the end.

If you take massive action, I think you are better of playing some Xbox360 in your downtime instead of reading another non fictional book.

First off, nice use of a post to promote your referral link.

Let me ask you a question, what level of success (by your own perspective of course) have you achieved by "not needing to learn anything" ?

I entirely agree if you're taking massive action you should always find time to unwind otherwise you will, in fact, go crazy. I myself enjoy playing some Modern Warfare and watching movies in my downtime to let my mind rest. However, I find while taking massive action it's necessary to read non-fiction books such as Jim Collins: Good to Great, etc etc.

The books about how someone changed their perspective and mindset are awesome but they're mind candy, so they don't always help you accelerate but they do assist in keeping you focused on the massive action you may be taking. As I'm sure others will vouch usually you're taking that action alone or if you're fortunate enough with one or two other like minded people. These books are your 'friends' while taking action so you don't quit when the going gets tough as it sometimes does.

Believe me I get enough fiction from talking to slow-laners to have any desire to pick up a fiction novel. I have plenty fiction novels from when I read them and people that don't quite understand what I'm achieving in my life still buy them for me and they look very pretty sitting on my bookshelf, but much like the content found within they are simply an ornament that while pretty on the outside has no intrinsic value.

Who cares? Why do we care what sidewalkers are doing? I don't care. Hell, I hate this sidewalker forum. I wish it would be removed. We should focus on what fast laners are doing and doing right and only that.

You're right I don't think we should CONCENTRATE on what sidewalkers are doing, but I believe those working on success in their own lives should be focused on what successful people do it's easier to avoid traps and change your mindset if you have a clear definition of what is sidewalk behavior and what is fastlane behavior. Otherwise MJ would have written a much shorter book with two chapters: Introduction & Fastlane. Just my two cents though.

Captain Scarlet

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 5, 2013
In my view, I like to stike a balance. Sometimes on the morning commute I feel tired and so I read fiction as I can't concentrate enough on business books. I probably read 70% non-fiction and 30% fiction. It's not all about work ;-)

We all need to escape every now and then.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
In my view, I like to stike a balance. Sometimes on the morning commute I feel tired and so I read fiction as I can't concentrate enough on business books. I probably read 70% non-fiction and 30% fiction. It's not all about work ;-)

We all need to escape every now and then.

I completely agree we all need an escape, and to put a slight spin onto my earlier posts I will say if fiction is your way of escape then that's wonderful.

Personally I don't read fiction unless it serves the purpose of an illustration of success principles. Simply because I have conditioned myself to retain and use all the information I read. So reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King might be some nice mind candy but it won't assist in my success under normal circumstances. But again, just my two cents.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
My guess? Sidewalkers seldom read anything, fiction or non-fiction. They're too busy shopping for the latest bling and watching American Idol. Seriously, of the all sidewalkers I personally know, none of them read, period, unless you count Facebook updates.

Arturo-Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 21, 2011
I just bought The 4 Hour Work Week, by Tim Farris (I think that's the correct spelling of his name, not sure). I had someone tell me he is all BS, but whatever. I just started to read it.

For the longest time I've wanted to read it. So after I saw it at Barnes and Noble, I logged onto Amazon.com and got it for like $14 cheaper, AND it's the "hardcover collectable" version (whatever though, it's hardcover). Never, ever will I buy a book at Barnes and Noble. My old sucker self would buy books there till I found a much better alternative, Amazon. Sometimes goodwill sells books through amazon too, under the used books.

Goodwill in the Burbs also has amazing clothing. Lots of barely worn stuff donated by upper middle class folk who try way to hard to "look the part"! Half the fun is in the treasure hunt of it...looking for newer looking shirts, like PUMA brand, etc...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.