What's new

Should I Publish My Poetry?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Magik

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Sep 23, 2013
Messages
338
Rep Bank
$1,380
User Power: 256%
When I was a teenager, I wrote a lot of poetry. I don't know how many poems I wrote, but I bet I have 200 scattered across 4 or 5 notebooks, maybe more. I went back and thumbed through them today. Some of this stuff I haven't read in years. A good portion of it sucks, but then, some of it would be good with editing, and then there are a few that I could let fly right now. About 60% is crap and unpublishable, 30% would be publishable with editing, and 10% of them need very little. I could probably put together an 80 page book. Poetry is what I first started writing. I experimented a lot with words and sentences. I'd like to think this helped me some, but who knows. I can't be objective about such a thing.

I no longer write poetry. I'm working on a novel, approaching the finish line within the next few months. I really don't have a desire to write poetry either. From a sales perspective, poetry really doesn't sell very well. However, regarding the poems that are at least good, there's not a lot of work that needs to be done with these. I could probably have a book of them up for sale within a few weeks. Of course, that book won't break any records, but who knows.

I could put these out there, but I worry that since I'm headed in the fiction novel direction, if that would confuse a potential audience. I also worry that if people didn't like them and they got crappy reviews, if that would hurt my following.

-Should I put together a book of poems and see what the market thinks?
-Should I forget about them and focus only on my novels?
-Should I publish these, but put them under a pen name?
-Should I wait a while and then publish them once I've got a few other titles up?

I'm leaning toward publishing them in some capacity. I mean, who cares? They're doing no good sitting around. I could publish them and see what happens. I all about taking action at this point. I plan on dumping a lot of writing on Amazon by years end, and this isn't out of the question.

I'd like your thoughts on this. If the idea is no good, feel free to say so. I'd prefer to bounce this off of your other self pubs than ask anyone outside this forum. Thanks. :tiphat:
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Duamf epz ug ov ci atif xovjop zuas dassipv xsovopht?

Og O jef e djesedvis op e tvusz xju xsuvi quint, tuni ug vjin duamf tiswi et jot quint, vjat vji quint ciduni e qesv ug vji tvusz. Uvjisxoti, O fup'v tii e xez O duamf opdusqusevi vjin opvu e puwim cideati vjiz esi vuu ectvsedv gus vjev.

Vjisi esi qiuqmi xju caz quivsz cuult, cav ov't e nadj tnemmis nesliv.
 
FU OV ! Xjev't vji xustv vjev dep jeqqip?

Civvis raitvoup vu etl ot... Fu zua xepv vu foi jewoph xsovvip epf iyqsittif tu nadj dsievowovz upmz vu puv qacmotj ov?
Xjz puv katv qacmotj epf tii xjisi ov huit?

Voni xeovt gus pu nep.
 
Puv iwiszvjoph jet vu ci ecuav vji Getvmepi. Tuni vjopht dep ci katv gus gap. Qacmotj zuas quivsz. Ov emnutv disveopmz xomm puv qsufadi nadj ug e qsugov gus zua, cav tu xjev? Ov't xsovvip, epf qacmotjoph dutvt zua wisz movvmi. Hiv ov uav vjisi.
 
Puv iwiszvjoph jet vu ci ecuav vji Getvmepi. Tuni vjopht dep ci katv gus gap. Qacmotj zuas quivsz. Ov emnutv disveopmz xomm puv qsufadi nadj ug e qsugov gus zua, cav tu xjev? Ov't xsovvip, epf qacmotjoph dutvt zua wisz movvmi. Hiv ov uav vjisi.

Zaq! Gsun xjev O'wi sief, quivsz ot e puvusouatmz mux-timmoph hipsi, tu vji ufft ug vjot cioph qsugovecmi esi lopf ug tmon. Cav qacmotjoph zuas quivsz ot up zuas cadliv motv, epf zua xepv vu fu ov gus gap us epz uvjis qistupem sietup, hu gus ov!
 
Ziej, O'f fu ov cav O'f emtu fu ov apfis e foggisipv qip peni. Zua fup'v iwis xepv vu foteqquopv e gep, epf iwip og zua vovmi ov: Cuul ug Quint (Tstmz, Katv Quint), zua'mm tvomm hiv tuni siefist xju 1-tves ov gus puv cioph katv moli zuas uvjis puwimt epf zua tvepf vu muti gept. Tiqesevi qip penit gus tiqesevi hipsit.
 
Zaq! Gsun xjev O'wi sief, quivsz ot e puvusouatmz mux-timmoph hipsi, tu vji ufft ug vjot cioph qsugovecmi esi lopf ug tmon. Cav qacmotjoph zuas quivsz ot up zuas cadliv motv, epf zua xepv vu fu ov gus gap us epz uvjis qistupem sietup, hu gus ov!

Pu, ov't puv up e cadliv motv us epzvjoph. O katv jewi e muv ug ov epf vjuahjv vjev O nohjv ci ecmi vu neli e movvmi nupiz ugg ug ov. O duamf ipvis vji citv upi't op tuni dupvitvt, O vjuahjv ecuav vjev, cav iovjis xez, quivsz xup'v ci e nekus gudat ug nopi.
 
Ziej, O'f fu ov cav O'f emtu fu ov apfis e foggisipv qip peni. Zua fup'v iwis xepv vu foteqquopv e gep, epf iwip og zua vovmi ov: Cuul ug Quint (Tstmz, Katv Quint), zua'mm tvomm hiv tuni siefist xju 1-tves ov gus puv cioph katv moli zuas uvjis puwimt epf zua tvepf vu muti gept. Tiqesevi qip penit gus tiqesevi hipsit.

Og O qacmotj ov, O'mm fu ov apfis e qip peni, gus tasi. O duamf tii jux gept xuamf ci vaspif ugg, quivsz ot e foggisipv vzqi ug xsovoph vjep godvoup. Vjeplt gus vji opqav.
 
Vjev xuamf jewi ciip nz efwodi, qacmotj ov apfis e qip peni. Cav O'f moli vu eff vjev zuas neop gudat tjuamf qsucecmz ci gopotjoph zuas puwim. Fup'v miv e fotvsedvoup vjev otp'v e qettoup us e nupiz-nelis fiseom vjev huem. Fu vji quivsz cuul egvis zua qacmotj vji puwim, ONJU.
 
Jewi huemt epf cimoiwi op zuas xuslt. O tahhitv zua tjuamf gopotj zuas godvoup gostv tu vjev vjev zua xomm jewi gudat tiv up vjuti foggisipv hipsit.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom