The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Publish My Poetry?

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
When I was a teenager, I wrote a lot of poetry. I don't know how many poems I wrote, but I bet I have 200 scattered across 4 or 5 notebooks, maybe more. I went back and thumbed through them today. Some of this stuff I haven't read in years. A good portion of it sucks, but then, some of it would be good with editing, and then there are a few that I could let fly right now. About 60% is crap and unpublishable, 30% would be publishable with editing, and 10% of them need very little. I could probably put together an 80 page book. Poetry is what I first started writing. I experimented a lot with words and sentences. I'd like to think this helped me some, but who knows. I can't be objective about such a thing.

I no longer write poetry. I'm working on a novel, approaching the finish line within the next few months. I really don't have a desire to write poetry either. From a sales perspective, poetry really doesn't sell very well. However, regarding the poems that are at least good, there's not a lot of work that needs to be done with these. I could probably have a book of them up for sale within a few weeks. Of course, that book won't break any records, but who knows.

I could put these out there, but I worry that since I'm headed in the fiction novel direction, if that would confuse a potential audience. I also worry that if people didn't like them and they got crappy reviews, if that would hurt my following.

-Should I put together a book of poems and see what the market thinks?
-Should I forget about them and focus only on my novels?
-Should I publish these, but put them under a pen name?
-Should I wait a while and then publish them once I've got a few other titles up?

I'm leaning toward publishing them in some capacity. I mean, who cares? They're doing no good sitting around. I could publish them and see what happens. I all about taking action at this point. I plan on dumping a lot of writing on Amazon by years end, and this isn't out of the question.

I'd like your thoughts on this. If the idea is no good, feel free to say so. I'd prefer to bounce this off of your other self pubs than ask anyone outside this forum. Thanks. :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Could any of it be used within your current writings?

If I had a character in a story who wrote poems, some of them could serve as his poems, thus the poems become a part of the story. Otherwise, I don't see a way I could incorporate them into a novel because they are too abstract for that.

There are people who buy poetry books, but it's a much smaller market.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
DO IT ! What's the worst that can happen?

Better question to ask is... Do you want to die having written and expressed so much creativity only to not publish it?
Why not just publish and see where it goes?

Time waits for no man.

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
Not everything has to be about the Fastlane. Some things can be just for fun. Publish your poetry. It almost certainly will not produce much of a profit for you, but so what? It's written, and publishing costs you very little. Get it out there.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Not everything has to be about the Fastlane. Some things can be just for fun. Publish your poetry. It almost certainly will not produce much of a profit for you, but so what? It's written, and publishing costs you very little. Get it out there.

Yup! From what I've read, poetry is a notoriously low-selling genre, so the odds of this being profitable are kind of slim. But publishing your poetry is on your bucket list, and you want to do it for fun or any other personal reason, go for it!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Yeah, I'd do it but I'd also do it under a different pen name. You don't ever want to disappoint a fan, and even if you title it: Book of Poems (Srsly, Just Poems), you'll still get some readers who 1-star it for not being just like your other novels and you stand to lose fans. Separate pen names for separate genres.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Yup! From what I've read, poetry is a notoriously low-selling genre, so the odds of this being profitable are kind of slim. But publishing your poetry is on your bucket list, and you want to do it for fun or any other personal reason, go for it!

No, it's not on a bucket list or anything. I just have a lot of it and thought that I might be able to make a little money off of it. I could enter the best one's in some contests, I thought about that, but either way, poetry won't be a major focus of mine.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Yeah, I'd do it but I'd also do it under a different pen name. You don't ever want to disappoint a fan, and even if you title it: Book of Poems (Srsly, Just Poems), you'll still get some readers who 1-star it for not being just like your other novels and you stand to lose fans. Separate pen names for separate genres.

If I publish it, I'll do it under a pen name, for sure. I could see how fans would be turned off, poetry is a different type of writing than fiction. Thanks for the input.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
That would have been my advice, publish it under a pen name. But I'd like to add that your main focus should probably be finishing your novel. Don't let a distraction that isn't a passion or a money-maker derail that goal. Do the poetry book after you publish the novel, IMHO.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
One book of poetry has done really well in the past year all because of the author's brilliant use of tumblr and twitter to market herself.

M. Strahsberg

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 27, 2014
Have goals and believe in your works. I suggest you should finish your fiction first so that that you will have focus set on those different genres.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.