The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go with Plan A or Plan B?

Idea threads

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
I'm reconsidering whether I should go ahead with the skincare business (Plan A), or sell courses and guides on how to build your own skincare brand (Plan B), considering that more 'shovels' will be needed in such a competitive market. I have the value skew that my products will be anti-oestrogenic with a minimal use of plastics used in the products and packaging. My concern here is how I can make people care about an issue such of this and whether it is worth implementing an 'us vs them' marketing strategy?

Problems with Plan A:
Most people just buy the most convenient skincare product and move on. This will require either exceptional marketing, or an exceptional network to promote my product (through Instagram influencers). They aren't going to care if my product can't gain enough traction, then I'll be spending more than the business brings back.

Problems with Plan B:
It will take longer to earn income through digital means because I don't have skills in those areas. There's a post on here which says that if you're not smart, make and sell physical products because it's faster for you to earn income doing those than it will be for you to sell courses and eBooks. Those things could come afterwards.

I've recognized my weaknesses in both areas and I want to make the right decisions to avoid staying on the sidewalk.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
I'm reconsidering whether I should go ahead with the skincare business (Plan A), or sell courses and guides on how to build your own skincare brand (Plan B), considering that more 'shovels' will be needed in such a competitive market. I have the value skew that my products will be anti-oestrogenic with a minimal use of plastics used in the products and packaging. My concern here is how I can make people care about an issue such of this and whether it is worth implementing an 'us vs them' marketing strategy?

Problems with Plan A:
Most people just buy the most convenient skincare product and move on. This will require either exceptional marketing, or an exceptional network to promote my product (through Instagram influencers). They aren't going to care if my product can't gain enough traction, then I'll be spending more than the business brings back.

Problems with Plan B:
It will take longer to earn income through digital means because I don't have skills in those areas. There's a post on here which says that if you're not smart, make and sell physical products because it's faster for you to earn income doing those than it will be for you to sell courses and eBooks. Those things could come afterwards.

I've recognized my weaknesses in both areas and I want to make the right decisions to avoid staying on the sidewalk.
Have you ever built a successful skincare business?

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
Have you ever built a successful skincare business?
Not yet. You don't need to be an expert in something to be successful at it. In fact, average people seek the advice of those that are similar to them because they don't understand the people at the top. It's possible, but not for people who expect an easy time of it. Stupidity isn't my main problem, it's overcoming my own internal mental resistance. That's why I don't work 'smart'.

Last edited:

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
You should not sell a course on something you haven't ever done, that is no better then all the drop shipping grifters on YouTube. Focus on providing actual value to people.

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
You should not sell a course on something you haven't ever done, that is no better then all the drop shipping grifters on YouTube. Focus on providing actual value to people.
It depends on what you mean by value. You could internalize the lessons yourself and demonstrate competency in those tasks, then be 2 or 3 steps ahead which will gain you a small following. Then you can scale up.

Or, it may be the second step to my sales funnel once I've provided value with my first business. There's nothing wrong with planting a money tree if it helps others and I already know a lot about businesses in general. How many people have heard of the concept of level 5 leadership?

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
I'm reconsidering whether I should go ahead with the skincare business (Plan A), or sell courses and guides on how to build your own skincare brand (Plan B)
Be honest with yourself you don't know (yet) how to build a skincare brand. but you do know how to make the products needed for one right? Why not sell what you really already know about?

I don't remember exactly who said it, but as long as you are just one step ahead of another person, you can help him.

maybe it was @Andy Black ?

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
50% of this forum will say you're money chasing if you create content aimed at something you yourself have never actually accomplished.

The other 50% of this forum will say you can probably research 99% of what you need to know to write such content.

I'll leave it up to you to decide. That said, personally speaking, Plan B has never let me down.

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
Update: I might consider Plan B more now that my dad has forbade me from making soaps in his house.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't remember exactly who said it, but as long as you are just one step ahead of another person, you can help him.

maybe it was @Andy Black ?
Wasn't me. I don't even think you need to be one step ahead of anyone to help them. I could hire a Google Ads newbie to help me do stuff I don't want to do right?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm not sure about this. I occasionally have Google Ads clients who sell courses. I don't know anything about the subject but can setup ads to sell the courses.

I've created a few little Google Ads courses but can't really sell them via Google Ads (low volume, high CPC, not that bothered either). But if I found high demand for, say, curry recipes on Google I could conceivably sell courses on cooking curries without knowing how to cook them.

9w13cky7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 26, 2023
Brussels, Belgium
Update: I might consider Plan B more now that my dad has forbade me from making soaps in his house.
Or see if you can find someone to make soaps that meet your criteria, then add your little bit of magic to the ingredient list and have them send them directly to the consumer. I'm thinking like a coffee of the month club, but that might be too exotic. Maybe just a subscription service for soap that is in a pretty narrow niche, but I think has legs.

Even if you don't sell a bundle, guess what, you've done something that other people could replicate with your guidance, and Plan B then comes into action. If that's where you end up, there's a whole bunch of us here that'll help in any way we can, so don't worry about any potential skill gap.

(Okay, I'm speaking for myself, but I'm sure others will chip in!)

All the best,
Guy

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL

Problems with Plan A:

Problems with Plan B:

I think their could be a market for this. Test with marketing that educates the consumer. Use scientific research to reinforce your message. Have you developed a product?

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
I think their could be a market for this. Test with marketing that educates the consumer. Use scientific research to reinforce your message. Have you developed a product?
Not yet. I'm having doubts about whether I want to go into skincare. Idk whether it's cowardice or a misunderstanding of what my actual purpose is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.