The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I focus on high school or business?

A.I. Woods

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 21, 2014
Hello there,

I am 15 years old, and I consider myself to be far from average. My grades are good, and from a quick glance I might seem to be just like any other teen, but I have my own agenda.

I want to be a businessman - a SUCCESSFUL businessman.

I've already achieved a level of success with my business. I've taken it from $0 monthly income to $1,500 monthly income over the last 6 months. I believe that I can take it to $3,000 monthly within a year from now, and $6,000 within 3 years.

I'm wondering whether I should focus on school or my business. Looking for some perspectives from the outside, rather than just those of my middle class parents. I don't want to be normal... I have HIGH goals for myself, and don't see any value in most of the stuff I'm learning in school.

I feel as though I could manage to do OK in school and to still do well in business, but I just think that I could do so much better if I focused my efforts toward my business. Of course, I don't plan to focus exclusively on my business and to abandon high school outright, but rather to just spend less time on pointless busywork that'll never push me into closer alignment with my goals and to instead focus it on my business.

To be clear, my question is:
1.) Do you think a student (10th grade) should focus on school if they have the opportunity to create a good business?
2.) What did you personally take away from high school, other than a diploma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Buntsace

Vroom Vroom
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 17, 2015
Hello there,

I am 15 years old, and I consider myself to be far from average. My grades are good, and from a quick glance I might seem to be just like any other teen, but I have my own agenda.

I want to be a businessman - a SUCCESSFUL businessman.

I've already achieved a level of success with my business. I've taken it from $0 monthly income to $1,500 monthly income over the last 6 months. I believe that I can take it to $3,000 monthly within a year from now, and $6,000 within 3 years.

I'm wondering whether I should focus on school or my business. Looking for some perspectives from the outside, rather than just those of my middle class parents. I don't want to be normal... I have HIGH goals for myself, and don't see any value in most of the stuff I'm learning in school.

I feel as though I could manage to do OK in school and to still do well in business, but I just think that I could do so much better if I focused my efforts toward my business. Of course, I don't plan to focus exclusively on my business and to abandon high school outright, but rather to just spend less time on pointless busywork that'll never push me into closer alignment with my goals and to instead focus it on my business.

To be clear, my question is:
1.) Do you think a student (10th grade) should focus on school if they have the opportunity to create a good business?
2.) What did you personally take away from high school, other than a diploma?

Being 19 I might be able to relate a little more.

I don't know why you think it needs to be one or the other. I might get hate for this, but the school system is terrible. It was completely irrelevant for me and my goals. Waste of my life I will never get back. Which is why I "dropped out" (that is too lame of a solution and term though, I paid a private school to graduate me early) at 16. Only thing I found from school was that it showed me what I DIDN'T want to be. Average (aka one of my many motivations). For the masses though, it's good. Because not everyone is a "Hybrid" with a Entrepreneurial Mindset. Average people need the work force, most aren't cut out for a if you can't preform you don't eat lifestyle.

You can get through high school fairly easily. Bs & Cs require very little work, plus now a days you can usually pay people online to do the big projects.
With that being said, if you REALLY can't stand to be there (makes you depressed, and think its pointless all day) find a way out. And I don't mean dropout.
"HOW can I get out of school now w/ a degree?" Find the answer to that question and you deserve to be out. Otherwise, pound out both of them.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
I think having your High School Diploma is a good idea; you never know when it might be a good box to have ticked.

(What if you wanted to take a particular job so you could learn a new skill at someone else's expense, but their minimum entry qualification was a High School Diploma?)

@Buntsace presents an interesting solution (early, private, graduation for a price - can you afford to do that with your income?).

If you're generating cash, can you outsource some of your business processes? Depends on what your business is.

Buntsace

Vroom Vroom
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 17, 2015
I think having your High School Diploma is a good idea; you never know when it might be a good box to have ticked.

(What if you wanted to take a particular job so you could learn a new skill at someone else's expense, but their minimum entry qualification was a High School Diploma?)

@Buntsace presents an interesting solution (early, private, graduation for a price - can you afford to do that with your income?).

If you're generating cash, can you outsource some of your business processes? Depends on what your business is.
there are quite a bit of private untraditional school systems that do this, but it obviously will be worded 1000% different than pay for you diploma!
enough money can solve any problem in todays world :)

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Without a doubt at least pass high school with good grades. It will give you the opportunity to go to college if you want. You may not want to but at least you have options.
Definitely work on your business and business skills on the side while you do your academics. Push toward that fast lane!

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Johnny Earle (aka Johnny Cupcake) did a lot of different businesses in high school.

What kind of business do you do?

Yeah high school is useless and college is useless unless you get some kind of useful college degree.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
This will come off as douchey, but you really should be able to handle both. High school is stupidly easy- it's a joke. They will pretty much pass anyone that shows up, and even if you don't, there's still a good chance they will let you through.

I had tons of time all throughout high school. Granted, unlike you I would spend it on time-wasting activities. Regardless though, I put in no time, never studied, and still did the whole Honor Roll thing and the college classes and all that stuff. Still had sooo much free time.

College is the same way btw. If you ever end up on Reddit (bad habit, don't) you'll find endless "woe is me, poor broke college student with no time for anything". It's all BS. School just doesn't take that much time, and if you think it does, it's your own issues with time management.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I can relate. I'm 17 and I'm a senior in HS (only because I skipped junior year). Once I realized that the only thing I was doing there was absorbing meaningless information and spitting it back out onto a test only to forget about it a day later, I reorganized my priorities a bit.

Now I sit in class and work on my business--which I suggest you do the same. While I might be able to get more done without the burden of school for seven hours a day, there was one main reason I chose not to drop out or fail:

I have a safety net. As much as some people advocate for 'burning bridges', it is much smarter to maintain some level of assurance--reason being, we are both young and sure as shit don't know as much as we think we do. I don't know your situation, but as long as I'm in school, I have my parents footing the bill which allows me to devote everything to my business.

So instead, I settled for graduating a year early while getting a head start on my business. Now I have one semester left and it is taking all of my willpower to maintain adequate grades.

Anyways, its nice to have something to fall back on, so I'd recommend you pay your dues while growing your business. Don't have to get A's and like Buntsace said, its easy as hell to keep B's and C's without studying or anything.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Well I'm a Junior in high school and am pretty bad in school so it's a little easier for me as nobody really expects much from me. If I where you I would keep your grades in a B or C range and work on business though don't remove your efforts in high school completely.

A.I. Woods

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 21, 2014
Great responses everyone; I'm really learning quite a bit from them, and I see now that I'm not the only student on this forum - definitely makes things a bit better. Thanks for your responses so far everyone!

A.I. Woods

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 21, 2014

What I'm doing now is writing books, but I plan to branch out into other things in the very near future. I have considered outsourcing, and have been researching and dipping my foot into it over the last few months. Seems like a viable option, based on what I've seen so far, and I'll definitely be outsourcing on a larger scale soon.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I only read the title and my answer is High School.

The lessons you learn indirectly in school are valuable.

High school taught me a little bit about how valuable networking is. I used to go on tour with celebrities and because I was close with some of my teachers, they would allow me to focus less on work and attending class, than most of my classmates.

Maybe not the best example, but school teachers you a lot.

You may also hear your classmates complaining about something, think of a way to fix it & POOF, million dollar business started.

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
@Boxster is right, you should be able to handle both, especially as you seem to be (relatively) smart and are driven to succeed.

You've got a lot of growing up to do. This isn't a personal dig, it is true of every 15 year old.

The stuff that I learnt in high school (that is valuable to me now), isn't the stuff that I learnt in class but the stuff that I learnt in the school yard and the principles office. It's not just about the stuff they teach in class. Make the most of it, learn as much as you can.

Keep working on yourself. Keep working on your business. Save as much of your money as you can. Then when you are done with high school, you'll be in a much better position to launch (or grow) your fastlane business.

All the best.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
From doing my internships, for Social work, let me remind you of the thousands of people standing in the unemployment line, at food trucks, and pantries, because at some point in time they decided they didn't need a high school diploma and the school system sucked. And then the never go back to school and not hired because they don't have a diploma. That's just regular Mcdonald's jobs. Factories in Michigan at least are wanting you to have a diploma. Anything else, will look down on you think it's a red flag because you never finished high school.

The Fast lane is a nice reality for everyone. I don't know the percentage of how many drop outs of High School ever made a million dollars? I'm not saying it's not possible, as Eminem did it. High School diploma is always nice to fall back on. College I'm not sure it really matters. There are multiple paths after high school. The diploma is just a nice home base to branch off in any direction.

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
My advice is get highschool the F*ck out of the way and focus on your business at the same time. Id put my business first though. You sell ebooks and make 1500/month? Better than 99% of 15 year olds. Hell, im 18 and dont make shit lol

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
You've got a lot of growing up to do. This isn't a personal dig, it is true of every 15 year old.

I totally agree with @Mr.B. You may not think so now, but you are younger than you would like to think. You say you are above average and so it might be (you are obviously doing what the other 99% are not) but you cannot skip "growing up."

I get a feeling of naivety from your post and just like so many other teenagers, one likes to think that I am above average because you are good at searching for information online or because you have found thefastlaneforum. I'm not saying this to pound you down, but to help you think. You will look back in only 5 years and think: Wow I'm glad I didn't drop out of HS, it was such a breeze after all.

I think you should follow the best points given to you in this thread:
  • Work on your business while in class
  • outsource some school work
  • outsource some business
  • finish high school for the option to go to college if your business don't turn out right.

Work on your business, finish high school, skip college, get in the fastlane, sell your business, retire early in the Bahamas (or where ever suits you).

Buntsace

Vroom Vroom
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 17, 2015
15 = very very little life experiences. going from being told what to do all day to being self productive is a big change. most can't handle it

A.I. Woods

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 21, 2014
I'm not saying this to pound you down, but to help you think. You will look back in only 5 years and think: Wow I'm glad I didn't drop out of HS, it was such a breeze after all.

I think you should follow the best points given to you in this thread:
  • Work on your business while in class
  • outsource some school work
  • outsource some business
  • finish high school for the option to go to college if your business don't turn out right.

Work on your business, finish high school, skip college, get in the fastlane, sell your business, retire early in the Bahamas (or where ever suits you).

Great points, thanks :)

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I'm pretty sure you should be able to handle both. I have always had a lot of free time. In college and high school. What gets you is the "learning" of things you find pointless. The way I did it was like this.
I didn't put more time towards my goals etc. I did school until school was done, then I focused on my stuff. Pretty simple equation. If you want to focus on your business, finish your school work or w/e and then focus on it.

Kubson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 6, 2014
Finish your HS, get the diploma, but have good grades in school as the last point on your priorities list. I am very surprised with some of advices you got here.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This will come off as douchey, but you really should be able to handle both. High school is stupidly easy- it's a joke. They will pretty much pass anyone that shows up, and even if you don't, there's still a good chance they will let you through.

Not always true. Some high schools are harder than others and require a larger time commitment. Anyway, back to OP.

General advice: Stay in school, get a B- average (or equivalent), college is optional. If all you have is a minimum wage job and no business idea, go to community college (or the equivalent) and learn basic finance and business principles.

Specific questions: Why do you hate school so much? It's probably the only place where you can spend 7 hours around girls your own age. There's applicable stuff to learn, like how to write properly and do math in order to calculate business profits. Sure, it's boring for the most part and there's too many rules, but there's some life lessons to be learned from your teachers.

Why do you think that $1,500/mo is a lot of money, specifically enough money to be able to drop out of school on without getting a job? Why can the business only ever grow to $6,000/mo?

If the business disappears for some reason, what do you plan on doing? Are you saving your money? What have you learned from this venture that you can take to another venture that can make you $10k, $50k, $100k+/mo in years to come?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Not always true. Some high schools are harder than others and require a larger time commitment. Anyway, back to OP.

I just hate hearing the excuse "I don't have the time". And the place it is least justified is while in high school.

A.I. Woods

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 21, 2014
It looks as though my intentions may have been misconstrued a bit, so allow me to elaborate.

In all honesty, I love school. My current grades are all A's and I take many advanced classes. Girls, close friends, sports, and many other things - how could I not like it?

But I like business even more. I would never for a moment even consider dropping out of school entirely, and my parents would never allow it. Instead, my original question was more along the lines of should I focus on high school, or on business. As in, should I be willing to allow my grades to perhaps drop a bit (down to a B or C average, which is a drop down from what I have now), in order to devote more time and resources to my business.

From what I've seen so far, it looks as though you guys agree that allowing my grades to drop a bit wouldn't be too bad. In all honesty, I feel as though much of the stuff that I'm learning will never be applicable outside of the immediate school environment.

So to be clear: I do not truly hate school, but simply wasting my time aimlessly on learning random formulas and mumbojumbo. I simply want to spend slightly less time on school, and to instead spend this extra time investing in my business instead. I would NEVER dropout, but would definitely consider allowing my grades to drop to a B or C average (my current average is an A).

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
How about sticking to a schedule?

Wake up at 5. Exercise from 5 to 6. Do school from 8-3 (or however long your day is). Do your homework from 3 to 5. Do business work from 6 to 10. Sleep at 10. Take Friday night off to hang out. Spend all day Saturday on business work (say 8 to 6), hang on Saturday, rest/errands on Sunday.

I just made this schedule up. But if you're paying attention in class and spending 8 hours a week on homework, using idle class time to catch up on homework, you should at least be able to maintain a B+/A-. You're spending 26 hours on business work, and you have Friday and Saturday night to chill with the homies and the hunnies.You don't have to chill if you don't want to but I would just cuz high school can be fun if you want it to be.

tl;dr balance is good for now, you can focus when you're done with school/off during the summer. Also, get bigger goals. $6k/mo in 3 years ain't shit. Go for $6k/mo by the end of the summer, and if you can't do that you're in the wrong business.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Life will never be easier than high school/college. Just be glad that you found TMF now. You've got a 15 year head start compared to many of us.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
You should definitely get your degree - especially if you like school. Not having one may not hold you back now, but if later you decide you want to go another route, it's pretty much required (and GEDs don't look as good).

That said, there are several options.

You can do as much of your homework/school work as possible during school so that you can focus on business at home. I used to do homework during lunch time, and would get a large percentage done then and on the bus ride home.

You could look at different educational methods - online school and homeschooling come to mind - where you can finish the graduation requirements in probably a lot less time, and with homeschooling, at least, you're able to study specific subjects that may be more applicable to you - for example, for math you can figure out a way to learn what you need to for math through studying something like business analytics or accounting, which would both be good to have a basic knowledge of. A lot of places allow homeschoolers to continue doing sports, as well, if that's a passion.

You could be content with getting Bs/Cs instead of As by putting a little bit less effort into your school stuff. And/or talk to the teachers to see if you can do any homework assignments in a way that would be useful for your business. There is often a lot of leeway with specific projects where you can chose your own topics - just do something that will be more useful to you. If you have a senior project, you could definitely use your business for that, as an example.

To be honest, if you are writing for your business, your English teacher may be a good resource. Just a thought. My English teacher was a published poet, and knew many people in the industry and had a lot of tips on getting books published.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.