The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SEO implications of 301 Redirects

Marketing, social media, advertising

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK
My site at Compucademy was chugging along OK with it's SEO, but then it got blocked on FaceBook. I also felt it was not focused on quite the audience I wanted, so I decided to remake the site on a new domain: Compucademy - Python Programming and Computer Science Education . The new site contains new posts and also modified versions of some of the old posts.

I've put 301 redirects on the old posts to the versions on the new domain for the ones I've edited and republished. I intend eventually move all the posts over to the new domain, but they need tweaking and it will be a slow porcess.

What I want to know is, what are the SEO implications of this situation? For example, where does the SEO juice go when I add a redirect from Compucademy to Compucademy - Python Programming and Computer Science Education ? Is keeping both sites dertrimental to my SEO on the new site? Should I do a permanent redirect on the whole domain and fix up the posts later?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spraybottle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 18, 2014
Hmm, it sounds to me like you haven't 301'd the site and just 301's individual pages.

I would recommend you build out all the pages that you need to, 301 to correct new pages, then 301 the entire site over. Input in Google search console that you're migrating the site to a new domain. Then, keep pumping out new content to the site about a month after the transition. I would also track keywords on the new domain and old domain to see how the 301 is impacting the serps.

Not sure how your SEO was impacted by Facebook on the old domain though. If the site's still holding its ranking on Google then I don't see any problems holding onto the old domain.

Joseph1986

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2020
Canada
You can easily see the impact of SEO on your new website by its rankings on Google. So if you notice that it's not as high as it was before, then you should do the permanent redirect on the whole domain, but if everything it's okay, it can work for now at least. I would recommend redirecting everything to the new website though, and even though you'll have some struggle with fixing the posts, you'll have a problem less after. You can reach out to an MSP SEO Services company and let them fix everything or do it on your own, it doesn't really matter. The important thing is to make sure all that SEO juice goes to your new website, not the old one.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.