The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I think you paint with too broad a brush , like...the hypnagogic effect from being at a rony robbins event IS THE POINT

Thats why he has no few books vs the amount of live events he does , he got started with nlp and hypnosis and gestalt therapy and yeh jim rohn but anyone can write a goals list or make a vision board or wtf ever.

You pay the 800 dollars and fly half across the country to experience that so you can leave all super pumped up and actually execute or whatever.

I think if you could say anything broadly about the self help movement (negatively) its that the act of reading a book fills an emotional need - the authors know this , its not really a secret (on this forum we call it action faking)

Idk what the angle is now that print sells a lot less but this was huge in the 80's and 90's , look up some of these authors and the sheer amount of stuff they pushed out

I remember when "the secret" got big , they had like entire aisles at bookstores that were just "law of attraction" books regurgitating the same stuff (one series the hook was that the information was being telepathically picked up from an interdimensional being or something?)

Anyway , i'll admit I like reading for readings sake (read that as "I use it to procrastinate a lot") but at least i'm insightful enough to recognize that. One handy rule of thumb I've found is if I have a problem I need to tackle (and the solution involves learning) , "three book limit". Also before reading the first book you have to have done some massive action toward the goal in some other way (never leave the scene of a decision / new goal without having taken massive action)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Madame Peccato

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I don't know where I'd be without self-help. Probably would have stuck a .38 in my mouth in the mid-90s.

Same but without your books.

As for the OP yeah, some people get sucked in and turn into Self-Help Junkies. But self-help is a tool, and as with every tool, it's about how you use it, the tool itself doesn't do you any good or bad.

I have stopped reading self-help books for the most part, because I feel like I was reading more for the sake of reading more, thinking I was doing myself a favor. Nowadays I pick up this type of book only if I plan to immediately implement what it talks about into my life.

Adir Barak

Contributor
Dec 20, 2020
Nowdays I pick up this type of book only if I plan to immediately implement what it talks about into my life.
That's the only way it should be done IMO.
It's still a slippery slope from time to time, getting hyped by a book or concept you can't immediately use, but for the most part I try to learn what I need in order to tackle my current and immediate next problem.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Same but without your books.

As for the OP yeah, some people get sucked in and turn into Self-Help Junkies. But self-help is a tool, and as with every tool, it's about how you use it, the tool itself doesn't do you any good or bad.

I have stopped reading self-help books for the most part, because I feel like I was reading more for the sake of reading more, thinking I was doing myself a favor. Nowadays I pick up this type of book only if I plan to immediately implement what it talks about into my life.

Exactly...

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Lol look at the word “self-help” closely. The word “self” is in it. You have to put in the work to help yourself. Not expect somebody to come in and do all the self-discovery for you. Lol. So I’m not sure how that’s a cult.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2020
You're right about all of that.

But...

Building a business is real

Being positive and improving your life with your attitude is real

Getting in great shape is real

Suckers get suckered and easily fall into cults and other bullshit, so just don't be a sucker and focus on what's real.
I agree, I'm kind of wondering if there is a bigger issue here with the OP though. Is trying to use this argument because he's afraid of taking action toward business?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Hi Andreas, It is per month, with the first month being half. This is a great question, I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!