It seems in every kind of endeavor, there are the polar opposites of doing what you love regardless of the personal and monetary costs, and cranking out shit for a quick buck. I prefer quality over quantity. I like Erica Jong's approach, but I realize it's not optimized for commerce. The guy in your previous post, who publishes 7 books a week, is the kind of person I loathe. They not only don't care about the books they are outsourcing, they don't care about books at all. They will happily destroy an entire industry if they can make some quick bucks along the way. But then I don't make $10k a month on ebooks, and am basically only successful at working for other people. Whom I usually loathe.
Short term gains vs. Long Term gains. I think I'd rather spend my time writing 70,000 words a week in a novel. My motivation is to write quality books that people will read over and over again. Generation to generation.
Reach your greatness and full potential. If you're outsourcing, you're not reaching you're greatness as a writer. You're reaching your greatness by paying someone else to do it for you.
There's negatives and positives to most of what I read and watch. I just try to pull out what I feel is major key points and throw out the rest. I think after awhile because they're being big mouths about outsourcing, readers are going to pick up on that, and I think they will learn the difference or like you said, they'll ruin the industry and literally tick off the writing community, and publishers. There all in it for the money, so perhaps it will come down to the war of the roses between Business writers and Authentic writers. I'm not really sure. We'll find out.
Jong has some good points, but yes the business part was swayed the other way. I think I just have to be balanced in my approach and not swing to hard to the left or the right.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
