The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scalable

BLSH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 14, 2008
Ive noticed this word thrown around here on the forum & was wondering if someone can give me the definition & example of the term as its used here.

Thanks

"Scalability is a desirable property of a system, a network, or a process, which indicates its ability to either handle growing amounts of work in a graceful manner, or to be readily enlarged."

Picked from the link below....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

I look at it kinda like this -- when a system is scalable it is supposed to be future-proof. If your company grows, you can add more hardware/modules/etc. to increase capacity to adapt (scale) your old system to your now bigger/different requirements.
Does that make sense?

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I especially like scalability when it doesn't require extra effort. For example, if your company handles 100 sales a week now, but could handle 1000 with the same amount of effort and no changes to infrastructure.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
A real life example of the danger of not being able to "scale" your business:

About 15 years ago I owned a photo frame business. I was an innovator and my designs were ahead of the curve (ie. Ikea hadn't knocked them off yet).

I was making good money, but doing almost everything myself, and working at full capacity.

At a retail trade show, a buyer for a large chain of framing stories walked into my booth and wanted to place an order to supply 50 stores (to start!).

That single order represented a year's sales at what was my production level at the time. I had to refuse it, since my business was not scalable (I was just too inexperienced to understand the concept at the time).

A couple years later "my" frame styles were in every shop in North America for 1/10th of the price I was selling them for.

Lesson learned, your business must be able to grow large. When getting a "jackpot" order is bad news, you don't have a real business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
Lesson learned, your business must be able to grow large. When getting a "jackpot" order is bad news, you don't have a real business.

You also have to be prudent with large growth scalability especially dealing with one very large buyer. Today we live in a global market with suppliers with minimal labor costs in parts of the world and non existent government safety requirements.

What if Jonleehacker had taken the order, leased a 20,000 sq ft building on a ten year lease, bought $100k with of equipment and tooling, and hired 20 people then had the buyer use him as a suppler for only two years before a competitor in China arose that was willing to produce the same product for 1/3 the price? Would he have made enough in those two years to cover his set up costs and still make a profit?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.