The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sales Advice

yahshar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 21, 2007
Long Beach, CA
I'm looking for advice on sales techniques. Any and all comments are welcome. I've taken over a promotions agency that sells Sign Promotion packages, where we increase foot traffic into businesses by displaying brightly colored sign near high traffic intersections and malls.
Here's our website which is getting a complete face-lift by the way: http://showandtellsigns.com/
The company is 5 years old and up until I came aboard their primary means of sales was cold calls and walkins. I'm new to sales but I understand that I must learn it if I am to be successful in any venture I take on.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I think if you are doing business to business sales, walk-ins and cold calls are going to be a lot of your sales. A nice website will help, but I still think you have to get out there to sell this.

If you haven't already done this, you should join all the business related organizations you can: Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, Toastmasters -- all of these people are good at "spreading the word of mouth" which can be critical in your type of business. Join every community thing you can. This is a good way of attracting businesses to your business.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
You need to sit down and think are you doing sales or are you doing marketing? Oh yes they are two diff. things.

Talmadge

yahshar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 21, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Thanks China, I've heard someone say that before but there's so much going on right now it slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.

TNT, I know I need to do both, but at this point I'm establishing and refining the Sale Rep. position so I can turn it over to someone else and move on to Marketing and other areas. Does that make sense or would you use a different approach?

Thanks again guys.:smx19:

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
You are starting marketing when you are developing the sales position. Sales is a part of marketing. They are different but sales is a part of the marketing stratagy.

Talmadge

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
<saving this spot to respond later>

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
Create an assumptive close for all situations. Like real estate for me, when I am talking to a distressed seller:

So when can I come out and take a look at the house? Is tomorrow ok, or do you prefer Friday? <-- This is a dual assumptive close, they have 2 choices, and either way I get my appointment.

Then at the house:

So here is the contract, I just need you to help me fill in the closing date. What day would be good to close on?

I increased my closing ratios after incorporating an assumptive close.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
jimculler

Trial closes like you are talking about is a must.

Things like what color do you want? would delivery tomorrow be ok or do you need a weekend? I need to check and see if that is in stock( you should already know but a good close).
you should have at least 5 or 6 of these.

Also any good sales person should be able to overcome at least 3 objections. The average person will not buy untill after 3 objections.

A sales person should also know there are objections coming and overcome them before the customer brings them up. If the item is expensive then you have to build value in it and then make sure the customer can see that value. Develope your pitch around these kind of things.

In a study on sales people that did well vs those that did not one big thing that was found is that those that did not do well just did not ask for the close. You can do a great presentation and build all the value but if you do not ask them to buy you will not get the sale. something as simple as do you want one can make a sales persons number of sales double to triple.

If I can help with anything about sales let me know. I have a fairly good background in sales. I am willing to help anyone that needs it.

Talmadge

yahshar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 21, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Create an assumptive close for all situations. Like real estate for me, when I am talking to a distressed seller:

So when can I come out and take a look at the house? Is tomorrow ok, or do you prefer Friday? <-- This is a dual assumptive close, they have 2 choices, and either way I get my appointment.

Then at the house:

So here is the contract, I just need you to help me fill in the closing date. What day would be good to close on?

I increased my closing ratios after incorporating an assumptive close.

That's good. Can I use that, and if so how much will it cost me? ;)

yahshar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 21, 2007
Long Beach, CA
jimculler

Trial closes like you are talking about is a must.

Things like what color do you want? would delivery tomorrow be ok or do you need a weekend? I need to check and see if that is in stock( you should already know but a good close).
you should have at least 5 or 6 of these.

Also any good sales person should be able to overcome at least 3 objections. The average person will not buy untill after 3 objections.

A sales person should also know there are objections coming and overcome them before the customer brings them up. If the item is expensive then you have to build value in it and then make sure the customer can see that value. Develope your pitch around these kind of things.

In a study on sales people that did well vs those that did not one big thing that was found is that those that did not do well just did not ask for the close. You can do a great presentation and build all the value but if you do not ask them to buy you will not get the sale. something as simple as do you want one can make a sales persons number of sales double to triple.

If I can help with anything about sales let me know. I have a fairly good background in sales. I am willing to help anyone that needs it.

Talmadge

This is great stuff. As I develop my sales scripts and methods I'll bounce them off you.

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.