The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SaaS product or development agency? That's the thing.

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
Hey,

I'm curious about your answers because of lots of different opinions in my surroundings. I will tell you briefly about my situation.

Currently, I work as a software developer and also make some money on the side by flipping cars from US insurance auctions. Although it is possible to make quite good money by importing cars, I don't see my future in this field due to some limitations with this type of business. On the other hand, I'm a full-time programmer in a medium-size software company and to be honest I hate this job. Not because I don't like programming, I definitely do and earn decent money there but I feel it limits me a lot. I'm already tired of switching projects all the time, working in a poorly managed environment and having no chances to improve things. Even if I point something out that we can do better in our organization (development flow, planning process, managing, talking with clients) I always hear "Yes, you're definitely right. We should do this." and after a week nobody remember about that conversation, so finally I said to myself "f*ck that". Well, somebody might say "change the job" and frankly, I had thought the same before I went for a few interviews... Thereafter I'm sure I will be burnt out before 25 if I stay in this kind of job.

So I sat down and asked, "what options do I have?". You already know my answers from the title so I started working on my product in the automotive niche that I'm going to launch in September. As I'm able to code mostly everything that comes to my mind for mobile and web, it's not hard for me to implement an MVP. However, there is something that surprised me. I have talked with people who are running some sort of businesses including IT-related ones and got opinions like this:

- you can't run a SaaS business without a big budget,
- "Do you have a vast community around you? No? Then leave it.",
- you don't have enough experience (actually the funniest one for me),
- you should be in touch with valuable, experienced people who already achieved a lot,
- you should have a mentor,
- you can't make it without funding,
- you should first run service based business and then reinvest money from that (that sounds interesting to me, could be an option),
- it will be easier for you to run a development agency instead of a SaaS product if you want to leave your job faster.

And a lot more opinions like that. That's why I came here with my question. To be honest, I don't see myself in different hustles than related to IT, that's my path no matter what. I'm not afraid of learning and failing, actually I have already failed a few times with cars that I went into debts but finally, I ended up with good profits. I know I need to learn a lot about sales, marketing, and other stuff but that's not the problem. My biggest struggle is that I don't want to lose my time, working on something for a few years to just figure out that it's not going to work seems strange to me. My biggest goal, for now, is to leave the 9-5 job to be able to full-time work on my things.

What will you do depending on my situation? I prefer building a product instead of running an agency but maybe it's true that it's better to a run service based business and reinvest money from that?

Thanks in advance for your answers, cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
I have quite similar situation. I'm a full stack developer, but I feel trapped and tried with eCommerce (twice), but still no success and no idea what to do next.

In your case, You already found an idea that you can do by yourself so maybe just focus on that. There's nothing that can stop you from doing that.

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
I have quite similar situation. I'm a full stack developer, but I feel trapped and tried with eCommerce (twice), but still no success and no idea what to do next.

In your case, You already found an idea that you can do by yourself so maybe just focus on that. There's nothing that can stop you from doing that.

To be honest, if you're a software developer I don't see a need to switch to eCommerce, you already have the skill to build a profitable business.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
To be honest, if you're a software developer I don't see a need to switch to eCommerce, you already have the skill to build a profitable business.
I switched because I couldn't find an idea to do with my skills and having many small customers seems safer to me than having few big clients.

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
I switched because I couldn't find an idea to do with my skills and having many small customers seems safer to me than having few big clients.
Alright now it seems to be more understandable.

martin_clear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
What will you do depending on my situation? I prefer building a product instead of running an agency but maybe it's true that it's better to a run service based business and reinvest money from that?

I actually know a guy who owns a pretty successful product (cashback portal, 100k+ active users) and he began as freelancer, switched to agency and once he has a successful agency he started building a product with that agency as a side project.

You cannot build everything yourself! Today web needs to have marketing, devops, developers, front-end developers, copywriters, support, social media expertise.

From that point of view I believe that having an agency where you have all these people and when they do not work on client projects they just work on your project seems as a good idea to me.

Practically no one build their successful company at the first place not even Zuckerberg, Gates or Jobs. Zuckerberg built FaceSmash, Gates was building traffic control software and Jobs was working hacker device for free long-distance calls.

You just need to make a first step towards your plan. It will be perfectly enough if you will be successful freelancer with multiple clients and from that it is so much more easy to start building some product than employee.

Just a first step!

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
I actually know a guy who owns a pretty successful product (cashback portal, 100k+ active users) and he began as freelancer, switched to agency and once he has a successful agency he started building a product with that agency as a side project.

You cannot build everything yourself! Today web needs to have marketing, devops, developers, front-end developers, copywriters, support, social media expertise.

From that point of view I believe that having an agency where you have all these people and when they do not work on client projects they just work on your project seems as a good idea to me.

Practically no one build their successful company at the first place not even Zuckerberg, Gates or Jobs. Zuckerberg built FaceSmash, Gates was building traffic control software and Jobs was working hacker device for free long-distance calls.

You just need to make a first step towards your plan. It will be perfectly enough if you will be successful freelancer with multiple clients and from that it is so much more easy to start building some product than employee.

Just a first step!
Thanks a lot for your answer, I like your suggestion.

mikodigital

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 19, 2019
France
I am really in tune with what you said. i believe being a freelance is still slowlane, but a big step towards fastlane... this is what i learnt being a freelance :
  • learn to be 100% responsable and accountable for everything
  • learn to make strategic decisions, navigating your business
  • learn to manage money, accounting, business law
  • learn ro find new clients and what makes clients happy or not (keep them)
  • learn extra skills sets (communication, marketing, seo, design, project management, subcontracting...)
  • learn to manage your time
  • learn problem solving and risk taking
  • learn to think independently and freely
:)

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
Sure, freelancing might be a good first step before starting an agency even if it's more and more saturated each year.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.