The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

S.C.O.R.E VS MEET UP ,BNI AND TOASTMASTER

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Hello Forum,

My first business lead me to using the phone book and also calling the coaches at S.C.O.R.E to learn business, Later in life I learned about Meet Up, BNI and Toastmaster. My question to you is what is the best path to learn business ? This Forum to be honest seems to me a better resource than any of the above.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Hello Forum,

My first business lead me to using the phone book and also calling the coaches at S.C.O.R.E to learn business, Later in life I learned about Meet Up, BNI and Toastmaster. My question to you is what is the best path to learn business ? This Forum to be honest seems to me a better resource than any of the above.
I went to a local BNI recently, claimed to be the best in town. Yes, they were friendly and welcoming, but not owners of medium/large companies. It was just a bunch of self-employed drones trying to network.

I haven't found a local group or club as yet.

Last edited:

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
I went to a local BNI recently, claimed to be the best in town. Yes, they were friendly and welcoming, but not owners of medium/large companies. It was just a bunch of self-employed drones trying to network.

I haven't found a local group or club as yet.
Its hard to judge based on one meeting sometimes. I try to go to 6 before making an opinion about the group.

But also checkout: EO (Entrepreneurs organization), YPO (young presidents organization), Tiger 21, Long Angle.

These ones have requirements to join to the people are of a certain calibre generally.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
BNI is for failing real estate agents and MLMers, I got invited to it and realized it was a joke instantly.

All the legit business owners are out with their friends doing cool shit and just hanging out.

Learn business by doing business, when you're a winner you'll meet other winners.

Your life would be much better if you just trusted your own ideas and intuition and stayed in your own lane, then when other people asked YOU for advice you helped them. It would raise your self esteem and would reinforce that you are the winner. Positive reinforcement ftw.

Business meetup things are full of people with low self esteem. It's palpable.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
BNI is for failing real estate agents and MLMers, I got invited to it and realized it was a joke instantly.

All the legit business owners are out with their friends doing cool shit and just hanging out.

Learn business by doing business, when you're a winner you'll meet other winners.

Your life would be much better if you just trusted your own ideas and intuition and stayed in your own lane, then when other people asked YOU for advice you helped them. It would raise your self esteem and would reinforce that you are the winner. Positive reinforcement ftw.

Thank you Johnny Boy, bookmarked the local EO and read up on membership requirements. Bookmarked the website and EO will be a part of my vision board I will achieve this.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Its hard to judge based on one meeting sometimes. I try to go to 6 before making an opinion about the group.

But also checkout: EO (Entrepreneurs organization), YPO (young presidents organization), Tiger 21, Long Angle.

These ones have requirements to join to the people are of a certain calibre generally.
Thank you Hong Kong as I told Johnny Boy EO is in the plan. Nothing is impossible it may be challenging but can be done over time.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Thank you Johnny Boy, bookmarked the local EO and read up on membership requirements. Bookmarked the website and EO will be a part of my vision board I will achieve this.
literally the opposite of what I said lol best of luck though

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
literally the opposite of what I said lol best of luck though );

Nope, I want to learn the exact steps!!! Mmmkey???

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

This is fair criticism.

That said, not all BNI groups are awful. It all depends on the members.

Plus, if you're not a winner, if you're not used to putting yourself out there, it's a pretty decent place that forces you to put yourself out there.

I've watched maybe a dozen people with no experience in sales join a BNI group and over the course of a year really polish their abilities.

For it to actually grow your business, you need to be in a group with enough extroverts who already have clients that fit your client profile. "Power teams" like:
  • mortgage person, credit repair, realtor
  • social media, web designer, seo (too often these guys do what the others do, which cracks me up, but when they don't it is a good team)
  • pool guy, house cleaner, dog walker
  • Business insurance, commercial leasing agent.
When you don't have sales skills and you have to "sell yourself" to a room full of people and you pay dues and lunch every week, you either step up your game or you wash out.

Hello Forum,

The best way to learn business is to do business.

The second best way to learn business is work in a job that lets you learn the type of business you want to run.

The third best way to learn business is to get a sales job. Personally, I'd say a business banker. I learned a lot about businesses in that role and wrote about it here:

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Nope, I want to learn the exact steps!!! Mmmkey???

Antifragile nothing wrong with ambition to push yourself. You should see the requirements to be a member of the EO weak minds need not apply.It holds you accountable even when you let yourself go.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
This is fair criticism.

That said, not all BNI groups are awful. It all depends on the members.

Plus, if you're not a winner, if you're not used to putting yourself out there, it's a pretty decent place that forces you to put yourself out there.

I've watched maybe a dozen people with no experience in sales join a BNI group and over the course of a year really polish their abilities.

For it to actually grow your business, you need to be in a group with enough extroverts who already have clients that fit your client profile. "Power teams" like:
  • mortgage person, credit repair, realtor
  • social media, web designer, seo (too often these guys do what the others do, which cracks me up, but when they don't it is a good team)
  • pool guy, house cleaner, dog walker
  • Business insurance, commercial leasing agent.
When you don't have sales skills and you have to "sell yourself" to a room full of people and you pay dues and lunch every week, you either step up your game or you wash out.

The best way to learn business is to do business.

The second best way to learn business is work in a job that lets you learn the type of business you want to run.

The third best way to learn business is to get a sales job. Personally, I'd say a business banker. I learned a lot about businesses in that role and wrote about it here:

Bizydad I have had some experience and activity in all 3 maybe I am just not giving me enough time to adjust as listed in the 67 steps.Never a banker though but Vector Marketing,Direct TV, four Network Marketing gigs and Action x press Printing and Web and a slew of social media volunteer gigs to beef up on my people skills over a time span of 14 years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.