The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Road to Becoming a Fastlane Author

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As I'm writing this, I can't help but find the humor in my situation. I'm sitting at work on one of my breaks, mulling over some ideas on what I should write. It's been a rough morning, everything seems to be broken and everything is high priority. I work in IT, and it doesn't help that I realized two days ago that all I do is fix other people's internet access. I get paid well for a Slowlane job, it's a six figure salary, but this isn't for me.

My goals are simple:
- to never again wake up to the noise of an alarm clock
- to never again sort through items by weight at the grocery store to make sure I don't overspend
- to never again hear the words "It's hump day!" or "Yay, Friday!"
- to never again say I can't afford something
- to be able to travel anywhere I want, when I want
- to have a nice house on a nice piece of land to come home to when I'm done travelling
- to never again have any sort of debt

It took me awhile to land on writing as my Fastlane plan. I've been writing fiction in some way or another since I was 10. But as I looked into the world of publishing I realized that, to make a real living, you not only had to be good, but lucky. Something like only 10% of traditionally published authors made their living off of writing alone. So, I gave up and went to school.

Fast forward to last year. I began to realize I wasn't meant to work for someone else, but instead wanted to work for myself. I have a passion for making my own beer, cider, and wine, so I started exploring those avenues. It was about this time my dad ran into an old friend of the family who had been a self made millionaire twice over.

I did some research, and realized the start-up costs for beer and wine as a business wasn't cheap. So, I made myself a plan that, once my fiance was out of med school, that I would quit my job and start my own business. This would take about five years, and saving a lot of money.

At the end of last month, I finally got some time to sit down with that family friend. He basically told me he thought my five year plan was too conservative, and that I should try and go for it now. And that he would even invest with me if he liked my plan. As motivation, his wife told me to get MJ's book, and read it while I was at training for work. The following week I went to Las Vegas for training, and instead of partying and gambling, I read TMFL (I did some gambling, of course, and actually left Vegas $500 richer than when I got there).

When I got home, I found myself at this forum, with Held for Ransom's thread staring me in the face. There it was, my original passion, making someone money. My 10 year old self was screaming in my head.

In writing, there are no start-up costs. Just a computer and your imagination. I told my fiance (who's also an avid reader in my genre), who was skeptical but supportive, and I dove in.

Today, I have a short story and three drafts in a series ready to publish. I have another rough draft in a second series almost done. I carry around a laptop case with my laptop, several notepads, and a clipboard inside, so whenever I get a break I'm writing or jotting down ideas. And I'm writing down every idea that comes to mind. After reading my new work, my fiance is more excited than when I first told her. My work isn't novel length (roughly 12,000 word each, novella range), but she commented that she liked them better than many other authors' first novels.

Sure, she could just be saying that, to spare my feelings. But she's not that type. She calls me on my bullshit, which is one of the main reasons I'm with her.

I hired out my cover art on fiverr, and so far been impressed with the results. I don't know the first thing about designing my own artwork, and in the interest of getting my work out with eye-catching covers, I spent the $5 to get it done.

This weekend, I'm e-publishing my short story, to get used to the process of e-publishing and establish my pen name. I plan on using Amazon and Smashwords, and create a website, facebook an twitter accounts, and a Goodreads profile. And then within the coming weeks roll out the rest of my novellas, as I get into a routine of being able to complete a story every two weeks, or sooner.

I'm a month ahead of my original schedule. I had wanted to get my first story published by the end of September, but I've got the work done I wanted to in half the time, so I'm going for it.

And, once I can replace my current income with writing royalties, I'm quitting my Slowlane job and making some of the items on my list a reality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So my update after the long weekend is as follows:

- My fourth story is done with it's primary edits. Now, I let it sit for a few days while working on story #5 (which is 4000 words in so far, and set to be about 4-5 times that length). Then I edit again, then pass it along to the chief (aka my fiance) for final approval.

- Got covers completed for stories 1-4. I went with The Book Cover Designer, since they had lots of options from several artists. Also, buying four covers at once got some attention, especially after I told them I plan on releasing 2-3 stories a month. May have someone to work with regularly, who's interested in creating work I can use, especially if they know I'll buy it.

- I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work, and I've started researching potential marketing for my multiple book series (two started, two more being planned). I'll eventually lower the price on my shorter work and make collections, and use them as loss-leaders.

- Now I just need a kick in the butt to get my website made. I've gotten lots of good advice here (especially in PM's, you all know who you are), but the writing is driving me. I almost can't stop. I'm carrying around pads of paper and my laptop like a junkie, only taking breaks when it gets too warm in my office (stupid Arizona). But, since I'm looking into marketing and creating a brand around my pen name, I just need to buckle down and do it. Before I release book two in my series, I'm getting it done. That's my pledge.

So... how's everyone else coming along? :)

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
So... how's everyone else coming along?

Great job, Breaking Free!!

I'm 4k words into my novella. I'm planning to have it be around 25k words (about 100 pages), I'm adding 1,000 words a day & will be done with writing by 9/23. Then I'll start editing and figure out a cover (I have my eye on a few from Go On Write).

I'm writing this one under my own name. I already have a pretty healthy social media presence + email subscribers, so it seems a bit foolish to pick a new name & release it out into the ether, especially when I actually LIKE this story and am not embarrassed to write it lol. I'll still probably play with the pen name thing when I want to write something...trashy/cheesy...but for now I think I'm going to try to leverage my following & network to spread the word.

I've set a goal to publish this novella by 9/30!

(then I'll start on the next, hopefully rolling out end of October, then the end of November...and so on..)

Good luck everyone!

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Just realized I never posted an update last week. Hmmm.

Released novella #2 last week, with a slightly different genre to try and expand my base. Didn't go so well, with my results to date as the following:

Short Story #1 - 1 sale
Novella #1 - 6 sales
Novella #2 - 2 sales

This week I'll release the third, with a short story next week while I get novella's 4 & 5 edited, and write #6. Depending on how those go, I'll either push to finish that series (with about 12 books total) or move onto my second series. It will be in the same blanket genre but a much different niche, and a different format along with longer books.

I also have a series of short stories in the works (2k-3k words) that I plan to release as a series, to get more work under my pen name. Even at $.99, I can't complain about any sales/royalties at this point.

Smashwords took forever to approve my books, so none of my results include its distribution. It's been downloaded there, and in one person's library, but no purchases. Also no reviews/feedback.

I also got an idea for a non-fiction work that could spin into or from a blog site, so that may be something I do under my real name should I ever make enough writing fiction to quit my job.

And I REALLY need to stop procrastinating on my website, goodreads, etc. I think because I work in technology that the thought of learning more technology bores the crap out of me, which makes me want to write.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
So... how's everyone else coming along?

I think I need to get remarried so I can have someone to outsource work to, lol. So many husband and wife teams! :)

I'm amazed at how fast you're flying through the process. Today, I'm working on covers for my series, and, hopefully, I should have the first book published by end of the day.

Lovin' the updates.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Next book uploaded. This time to both Kindle and Smashwords. Phew, talk about a learning curve on formatting. But, it should just get better from here!

I'll be using my short story's KDP free days to try and draw attention to my pen name and get people drawn to my book. Now, back to writing...

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work

You're on fire, seriously! It sounds like you're well on your way in the "producing lots of work" department. Well done! Have you had any results so far from your first book? Or is it too soon to tell? I'm recalling that Held for Ransom might've said it tends to take 10-14 days to know what kind of results you get, but any indicators so far?

I'm still plugging away on books 4 and 5, but doubt I'll be hitting publish on either of them for at least a few weeks. Book 4 has a ton of illustrations, and book 5 will be at least 20K words, so I still have a ways to go. I need to clone myself, dang it!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
So my update after the long weekend is as follows:

- My fourth story is done with it's primary edits. Now, I let it sit for a few days while working on story #5 (which is 4000 words in so far, and set to be about 4-5 times that length). Then I edit again, then pass it along to the chief (aka my fiance) for final approval.

- Got covers completed for stories 1-4. I went with The Book Cover Designer, since they had lots of options from several artists. Also, buying four covers at once got some attention, especially after I told them I plan on releasing 2-3 stories a month. May have someone to work with regularly, who's interested in creating work I can use, especially if they know I'll buy it.

- I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work, and I've started researching potential marketing for my multiple book series (two started, two more being planned). I'll eventually lower the price on my shorter work and make collections, and use them as loss-leaders.

- Now I just need a kick in the butt to get my website made. I've gotten lots of good advice here (especially in PM's, you all know who you are), but the writing is driving me. I almost can't stop. I'm carrying around pads of paper and my laptop like a junkie, only taking breaks when it gets too warm in my office (stupid Arizona). But, since I'm looking into marketing and creating a brand around my pen name, I just need to buckle down and do it. Before I release book two in my series, I'm getting it done. That's my pledge.

So... how's everyone else coming along? :)

Sounds great! Keep up the writing.

If you need help with website, I can help out. I'm thinking of launching Author Website creation services and I need some examples for portfolio, I would be willing to do few freebies for members on this forum. I've done a few already but need more. So this could work out if you need help! ;)

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
So I'll admit that I've obsessively googled about ebook over saturation and sales. For every success story, there's about a hundred failures.

But by using my google-fu, I found this gem of a blog. It perfectly describes what us new writers have gone through, and what those like Held for Ransom did.

Why Slow is Good

Yep - definitely agree with his reasoning.

And yet, I’ve actually watched multiple authors on various forums publish their first book, with absolutely no prior following, openly discuss their first and second week sales numbers with smiling emoticons, and then after the sales fall off over the next few weeks, they post about how they are barely staying afloat… and that they don’t know what to do… and that it seems like the time of the indie/self-pub author is dead.

I think this is exactly why you see the successful self-publishers pushing out title, after title, after title - staying on those newly published lists and getting sales. You see struggling authors all over other forums, saying how you have to do social media, how you have to market your books, and on and on. What you don't usually see - are the big name (or even moderately successful) self-published authors chiming in on those discussions with any regularity. Why? Because they're too busy writing their next book, with 3 more in the wings.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was debating on doing an update this week, as it hasn't been the most productive of weeks. I did release another novella, bringing my catalogue to 9 published books, and three more awaiting a second read/edit.

I'm also doing a sale on my first novella, since I now have 5 in that series. Strongly considering dropping them all to .99 and doing a collection once I hit six in that series.

I'm also shifting gears a bit, but just ever so slightly. I'm hesitant to discuss it, since it's a competitive environment, but I hope it will help me get some sales and pen name recognition.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Well, it's out there. My novella collection is now available for sale. I've written over 100k words in the past two months, and this is that culmination of that work and effort. It's a little serene, and simultaneously calming and nerve wrecking.

I've dropped about $500 on marketing at various sites, with it basically starting this Wednesday and running a week. I couldn't list or count all the sites I used, as well as the other sites that want reviews before you can submit with them.

I'm going to leave this little link here. It'll show you my published works, my pen name, and my work on sale for .99. I ask that there's no feedback on the forum about the work, or repeating my pen name. I'm essentially tossing myself out there; this is a business, and I need to treat it as such.

I'd say wish me luck, but... I don't believe in that. I'm making my own luck.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So last night I published a short story onto Amazon, and used KDP Select to try and get it some exposure. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

But, really, I'm using it for practice. I wanted to test the waters on how to publish an ebook that I kind of don't care what happens to it. It's not part of the series that I'm writing, so it it's lost in limbo, oh well. It wasn't tough to publish, just educational on going from a Word document to an ebook.

It's also giving me the opportunity to build a brand around my pen name. Created my Amazon author page, and now time for social media. Does anyone have any opinions on building a website? Like what service, program, etc. My IT slowlane job doesn't give me much exposure to actual websites, unfortunately.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
By short, it's really about 2500 words. I had thought it was closer to 2000, but at that point, I really feel like I'm splitting hairs. I priced it at .99, and it's in the same genre as the other stuff I'm working on.

Now my genre is huge, but they're pretty picky buyers. I'm worried that since my stories are shorter that the 2.99 price point is going to hurt me, whereas if I priced it lower, the perceived value would hurt. It's a pretty gray area that I hope to overcome with sheer content. My latest rough draft is already going to be twice the size of my previous work, so if anything I'll put my shorter novellas at a lower price point as a loss leader into the different series that I'm working on.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You're on fire, seriously! It sounds like you're well on your way in the "producing lots of work" department. Well done! Have you had any results so far from your first book? Or is it too soon to tell? I'm recalling that Held for Ransom might've said it tends to take 10-14 days to know what kind of results you get, but any indicators so far?

I'm still plugging away on books 4 and 5, but doubt I'll be hitting publish on either of them for at least a few weeks. Book 4 has a ton of illustrations, and book 5 will be at least 20K words, so I still have a ways to go. I need to clone myself, dang it!

No sales yet. Haven't used my KDP free days, waiting until I have more books out then adding to the back "Also by..."

20k words isn't much as I'm learning. Plan and write, rinse repeat :)

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Britnidanielle, 1k words a day isn't much. Do you have other things going on? I only ask because there are ways to really increase that exponentially.

You're right, it's not. I write for a living...so I'm writing all of the time during the day, then I switch to mom mode. I work at home, while homeschooling my son. So that eats up my day time. I work on my novella at night. I could totally do more than 1000 words, but I find myself writing-editing-rewriting the same section-editing again-writing. It takes me a while to get through it. I'm going to try to stop thinking so much and increase my output, but it's hard for me not to go over each section a million times while I write it. I tweak as I move along.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sure it's not saving me much time lol, especially considering I'm adding 1,000 words a day to your....7500? lol I also re-read the section I worked on the next day & make tweaks as well. So it's a slow, slow process. That said, I'm going to have my 25,000 words by Sept. 23 & publish by the 30th. So...we'll how I'll adjust as I continue to go along.

Don't be afraid to change and adapt. I'm by no means an expert, and my 7500 a day has been reduced to a thousand like you, thanks to my slowlane job. But we're doing the important thing, and that's sitting down to write every day.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Okay, someone slap some sense into me. My first book uploaded overnight, and at 9000 words, Amazon only gave it 21 pages. Ugh. So I started questioning my 2.99 price point.

Then I looked at my downloads, on both Amazon and Smashwords. Overnight, I had 5 previews on Smashwords, and 3 sales on Amazon (with 1 return). Now, I'm writing a paragraph, then checking my stats on both sites.

And I need to be more productive today...

It's soooo hard to not look at stats, isn't it? I'm continually slapping myself. I'm no help!

About your price point, you could always keep it at 2.99 for a while and then drop it to see what happens. Or, you could do the reverse, start out at 99 cents and raise it once you see what kind of results you get. That's the nice thing about the Kindle system, isn't it? It's so easy to make these changes on the fly.

On a cheery note, three sales is waaaaaay more than I had when first starting out, so you're obviously onto something. I had ZERO sales until I ran a freebie.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So I did pull the trigger on novella #3 last night, and Smashwords is starting to distribute my other books to other vendors. However, I'm tempted to tell them to stop. Here's why:

1. My description gets horribly manged in each vendor's listing. Kobo doesn't like some punctuation, and Apple doesn't like carriage returns.
2. It *still* hasn't shown up in Barnes & Noble.

And that's just after some light poking around. I'll still use them for their service, think I'll have them stop pushing out to Apple, Kobo, and B&N. Anyone else have a similiar experience?

Last edited:

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Don't overworry about social media sites, just pick one of them first and master it. Maybe Goodreads should be first, maybe Facebook. Pick one that you enjoy and understand most.

Good luck and keep us updated! ;)

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Released a short story this weekend, as I didn't have much opportunity to write with family in town. Also doing a KDP promo for my other short story, which so far has resulted in 20 downloads. Though, after they left, I wrapped up a novella and am now taking a break of a re-write on a separate series. Though I stumbled on these podcasts, which are mostly good, but this one is pure gold:

http://selfpublishingpodcast.com/71/

It's with Dean Weasley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Everyone who is writing on this forum(mostly applies to fiction), listen to this podcast now.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I wish! But I've only been publishing a month, which is another reason why I'm not going to watch sales. I have one main series, which I think was a mistake to put all my efforts into it at first. I should be writing books in different series, and have 3-5 series instead of soon six novellas in one series.

But that's just me. I want to cast a wider net.

Why not put the first on perma-free to drive a stream of sales to the other 5? Read about one guy doing this with a 3-book novella series and pulling 60k in 12 months off the series. I'm sure not all do quite that well, but even 1/4th would be pretty nice for one series.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As a small update, this had been a slightly off week for me. My slowlane job has been kicking my a$$, so today I drove up to Sedona (if you ever get to Arizona, go there!) to clear my head. Saw some art, tried some wine, met some fun people. Also during the drive I realized how to fix a couple drafts I'm working on, so it wasn't all lost productivity.

I'll still get a novella and a short story out this weekend. But I'll need to bust my a$$ this week to maintain productivity.

Sales are still slow, only having sold three books since the 1st. Not encouraging, but I only have seven books out there. By the end of the month I should be able to start taking my first series, discount the first book to probably free, and make some collections from the rest, thus expanding my bookshelf (and this will not count to my book count by end of the year).

Also, I wanted to share these tidbits I found from Hugh Howey. If Dean Wesley Smith is the college professor for writing professionals, Hugh Howey is the guy at the top of the class:

http://www.hughhowey.com/facebook-chat/

http://www.hughhowey.com/listen-to-yourself/

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks Gym. I have to keep in mind I only have seven books out, none of them breaking 15k words.

And I plan on making the first book in each series I write perma-free or .99, but it's always nice to see how it works out for someone else. Just need books in the series to back that up.

All these case studies are interesting. It seems there's some overlap as to what works for some people, so it's a challenge to recreate that for ourselves.

Yeah, just get to 20 as fast as you can. Don't overworry about the money until then. I've seen someone on KBoards with 50+ short stories doing well ( I think it was short stories..).

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
And today my author rank in science fiction broke the 1,000 mark, and has been holding all day.

From just a novella. That's pretty exciting. It almost, almost makes me wish my novel wasn't in the fantasy genre, so I can capitalize on that momentum.

Keep at it, find your niche...

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Really? I found it encouraging.

The amount of people in that thread with 10-20 titles and not making anything... Granted many of them admitted to doing little/no promotion, but still.

I think it goes to show that the ebook marking may be leveling out. First, you had the publish anything and make $$$ with little/no effort. Then, it started getting tougher and Amazon started adjusting their algo's, changing how promos affect rankings and stuff. Now, you have a lot of people who have been pretty consistent at pumping out loads and loads of titles over the years, with new authors popping up every day, effectively flooding the readers with more books than they'll ever be able to get to in a lifetime.

Pretty sure this is the same life cycle that every marketplace goes through. Now books seem to pretty much need some kind of promotion to get going and maintain rankings. I'm sure if you get to a certain threshold in your genre that sales can become somewhat self-sustaining, but mostly it seems that on-going promotion is a mandatory component now. It makes me wonder how long the perma-free promotion model will remain effective and whats next.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Now books seem to pretty much need some kind of promotion to get going and maintain rankings.

Wrong. Stop thinking this nonsense. If you ask losers why they can't play NBA you think anyone would give you an honest answer?

These people don't write what sells. Period. Doesn't mean book isn't good, it just isn't selling. A lot of terrible covers.

Copy the winners. I actually didn't go to that thread on purpose - stick with what works, don't listen to failure.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Great update! Please keep us posted on your progress as you move forward.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Lol, seems like we were starting our threads at almost the same time. Also seems like we have similar plans and goals. Looking forward to updates. :)

+speed

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
Speed + for an excellent post and making things happen.

My goals are simple:
- to never again wake up to the noise of an alarm clock
- to never again sort through items by weight at the grocery store to make sure I don't overspend
- to never again hear the words "It's hump day!" or "Yay, Friday!"
- to never again say I can't afford something
- to be able to travel anywhere I want, when I want
- to have a nice house on a nice piece of land to come home to when I'm done travelling
- to never again have any sort of debt

LOVE the goals. I hope you reach each and every one of them sooner than you dreamed possible!

Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
So last night I published a short story onto Amazon

Oh wow, that's so exciting isn't it, pushing that button for the first time? Congrats!!! Please do keep us posted.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, when you say "short," how short is it? And even though it's not part of the series you're writing, is it in the same genre and under the same pen name? It will be interesting to see how the sales impact each other. And, since you're using KDP select, does that mean you're planning to do some free-sales days?

For me, it didn't seem like I had any sales at all until I did the freebie thing to get the ball rolling, but that might've been because I didn't give it more than a few days, or because my genre (I now believe) is kind of shallow, buyer-wise.

I can't wait to her how your progress goes!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.