The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Road to Becoming a Fastlane Author

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
As I'm writing this, I can't help but find the humor in my situation. I'm sitting at work on one of my breaks, mulling over some ideas on what I should write. It's been a rough morning, everything seems to be broken and everything is high priority. I work in IT, and it doesn't help that I realized two days ago that all I do is fix other people's internet access. I get paid well for a Slowlane job, it's a six figure salary, but this isn't for me.

My goals are simple:
- to never again wake up to the noise of an alarm clock
- to never again sort through items by weight at the grocery store to make sure I don't overspend
- to never again hear the words "It's hump day!" or "Yay, Friday!"
- to never again say I can't afford something
- to be able to travel anywhere I want, when I want
- to have a nice house on a nice piece of land to come home to when I'm done travelling
- to never again have any sort of debt

It took me awhile to land on writing as my Fastlane plan. I've been writing fiction in some way or another since I was 10. But as I looked into the world of publishing I realized that, to make a real living, you not only had to be good, but lucky. Something like only 10% of traditionally published authors made their living off of writing alone. So, I gave up and went to school.

Fast forward to last year. I began to realize I wasn't meant to work for someone else, but instead wanted to work for myself. I have a passion for making my own beer, cider, and wine, so I started exploring those avenues. It was about this time my dad ran into an old friend of the family who had been a self made millionaire twice over.

I did some research, and realized the start-up costs for beer and wine as a business wasn't cheap. So, I made myself a plan that, once my fiance was out of med school, that I would quit my job and start my own business. This would take about five years, and saving a lot of money.

At the end of last month, I finally got some time to sit down with that family friend. He basically told me he thought my five year plan was too conservative, and that I should try and go for it now. And that he would even invest with me if he liked my plan. As motivation, his wife told me to get MJ's book, and read it while I was at training for work. The following week I went to Las Vegas for training, and instead of partying and gambling, I read TMFL (I did some gambling, of course, and actually left Vegas $500 richer than when I got there).

When I got home, I found myself at this forum, with Held for Ransom's thread staring me in the face. There it was, my original passion, making someone money. My 10 year old self was screaming in my head.

In writing, there are no start-up costs. Just a computer and your imagination. I told my fiance (who's also an avid reader in my genre), who was skeptical but supportive, and I dove in.

Today, I have a short story and three drafts in a series ready to publish. I have another rough draft in a second series almost done. I carry around a laptop case with my laptop, several notepads, and a clipboard inside, so whenever I get a break I'm writing or jotting down ideas. And I'm writing down every idea that comes to mind. After reading my new work, my fiance is more excited than when I first told her. My work isn't novel length (roughly 12,000 word each, novella range), but she commented that she liked them better than many other authors' first novels.

Sure, she could just be saying that, to spare my feelings. But she's not that type. She calls me on my bullshit, which is one of the main reasons I'm with her.

I hired out my cover art on fiverr, and so far been impressed with the results. I don't know the first thing about designing my own artwork, and in the interest of getting my work out with eye-catching covers, I spent the $5 to get it done.

This weekend, I'm e-publishing my short story, to get used to the process of e-publishing and establish my pen name. I plan on using Amazon and Smashwords, and create a website, facebook an twitter accounts, and a Goodreads profile. And then within the coming weeks roll out the rest of my novellas, as I get into a routine of being able to complete a story every two weeks, or sooner.

I'm a month ahead of my original schedule. I had wanted to get my first story published by the end of September, but I've got the work done I wanted to in half the time, so I'm going for it.

And, once I can replace my current income with writing royalties, I'm quitting my Slowlane job and making some of the items on my list a reality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Great update! Please keep us posted on your progress as you move forward.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Lol, seems like we were starting our threads at almost the same time. Also seems like we have similar plans and goals. Looking forward to updates. :)

+speed

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
Speed + for an excellent post and making things happen.

My goals are simple:
- to never again wake up to the noise of an alarm clock
- to never again sort through items by weight at the grocery store to make sure I don't overspend
- to never again hear the words "It's hump day!" or "Yay, Friday!"
- to never again say I can't afford something
- to be able to travel anywhere I want, when I want
- to have a nice house on a nice piece of land to come home to when I'm done travelling
- to never again have any sort of debt

LOVE the goals. I hope you reach each and every one of them sooner than you dreamed possible!

Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So last night I published a short story onto Amazon, and used KDP Select to try and get it some exposure. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

But, really, I'm using it for practice. I wanted to test the waters on how to publish an ebook that I kind of don't care what happens to it. It's not part of the series that I'm writing, so it it's lost in limbo, oh well. It wasn't tough to publish, just educational on going from a Word document to an ebook.

It's also giving me the opportunity to build a brand around my pen name. Created my Amazon author page, and now time for social media. Does anyone have any opinions on building a website? Like what service, program, etc. My IT slowlane job doesn't give me much exposure to actual websites, unfortunately.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
So last night I published a short story onto Amazon

Oh wow, that's so exciting isn't it, pushing that button for the first time? Congrats!!! Please do keep us posted.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, when you say "short," how short is it? And even though it's not part of the series you're writing, is it in the same genre and under the same pen name? It will be interesting to see how the sales impact each other. And, since you're using KDP select, does that mean you're planning to do some free-sales days?

For me, it didn't seem like I had any sales at all until I did the freebie thing to get the ball rolling, but that might've been because I didn't give it more than a few days, or because my genre (I now believe) is kind of shallow, buyer-wise.

I can't wait to her how your progress goes!

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
By short, it's really about 2500 words. I had thought it was closer to 2000, but at that point, I really feel like I'm splitting hairs. I priced it at .99, and it's in the same genre as the other stuff I'm working on.

Now my genre is huge, but they're pretty picky buyers. I'm worried that since my stories are shorter that the 2.99 price point is going to hurt me, whereas if I priced it lower, the perceived value would hurt. It's a pretty gray area that I hope to overcome with sheer content. My latest rough draft is already going to be twice the size of my previous work, so if anything I'll put my shorter novellas at a lower price point as a loss leader into the different series that I'm working on.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So I'll admit that I've obsessively googled about ebook over saturation and sales. For every success story, there's about a hundred failures.

But by using my google-fu, I found this gem of a blog. It perfectly describes what us new writers have gone through, and what those like Held for Ransom did.

Why Slow is Good

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
So I'll admit that I've obsessively googled about ebook over saturation and sales. For every success story, there's about a hundred failures.

But by using my google-fu, I found this gem of a blog. It perfectly describes what us new writers have gone through, and what those like Held for Ransom did.

Why Slow is Good

Yep - definitely agree with his reasoning.

And yet, I’ve actually watched multiple authors on various forums publish their first book, with absolutely no prior following, openly discuss their first and second week sales numbers with smiling emoticons, and then after the sales fall off over the next few weeks, they post about how they are barely staying afloat… and that they don’t know what to do… and that it seems like the time of the indie/self-pub author is dead.

I think this is exactly why you see the successful self-publishers pushing out title, after title, after title - staying on those newly published lists and getting sales. You see struggling authors all over other forums, saying how you have to do social media, how you have to market your books, and on and on. What you don't usually see - are the big name (or even moderately successful) self-published authors chiming in on those discussions with any regularity. Why? Because they're too busy writing their next book, with 3 more in the wings.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The title after title philosophy goes back well before ebooks, too. I love how the blog referenced Steven King.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Nice! Congrats. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks everyone.

I did learn something valuable about formatting. Don't tab in your paragraphs if you're using MS Word, it can create for some weird formatting in your book. Instead, use the auto indentation Word provides. Turned out much cleaner.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm worried that since my stories are shorter that the 2.99 price point is going to hurt me, whereas if I priced it lower, the perceived value would hurt. It's a pretty gray area that I hope to overcome with sheer content. My latest rough draft is already going to be twice the size of my previous work, so if anything I'll put my shorter novellas at a lower price point as a loss leader into the different series that I'm working on.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this dilemma.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So my update after the long weekend is as follows:

- My fourth story is done with it's primary edits. Now, I let it sit for a few days while working on story #5 (which is 4000 words in so far, and set to be about 4-5 times that length). Then I edit again, then pass it along to the chief (aka my fiance) for final approval.

- Got covers completed for stories 1-4. I went with The Book Cover Designer, since they had lots of options from several artists. Also, buying four covers at once got some attention, especially after I told them I plan on releasing 2-3 stories a month. May have someone to work with regularly, who's interested in creating work I can use, especially if they know I'll buy it.

- I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work, and I've started researching potential marketing for my multiple book series (two started, two more being planned). I'll eventually lower the price on my shorter work and make collections, and use them as loss-leaders.

- Now I just need a kick in the butt to get my website made. I've gotten lots of good advice here (especially in PM's, you all know who you are), but the writing is driving me. I almost can't stop. I'm carrying around pads of paper and my laptop like a junkie, only taking breaks when it gets too warm in my office (stupid Arizona). But, since I'm looking into marketing and creating a brand around my pen name, I just need to buckle down and do it. Before I release book two in my series, I'm getting it done. That's my pledge.

So... how's everyone else coming along? :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work

You're on fire, seriously! It sounds like you're well on your way in the "producing lots of work" department. Well done! Have you had any results so far from your first book? Or is it too soon to tell? I'm recalling that Held for Ransom might've said it tends to take 10-14 days to know what kind of results you get, but any indicators so far?

I'm still plugging away on books 4 and 5, but doubt I'll be hitting publish on either of them for at least a few weeks. Book 4 has a ton of illustrations, and book 5 will be at least 20K words, so I still have a ways to go. I need to clone myself, dang it!

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
So... how's everyone else coming along?

I think I need to get remarried so I can have someone to outsource work to, lol. So many husband and wife teams! :)

I'm amazed at how fast you're flying through the process. Today, I'm working on covers for my series, and, hopefully, I should have the first book published by end of the day.

Lovin' the updates.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
So... how's everyone else coming along?

Great job, Breaking Free!!

I'm 4k words into my novella. I'm planning to have it be around 25k words (about 100 pages), I'm adding 1,000 words a day & will be done with writing by 9/23. Then I'll start editing and figure out a cover (I have my eye on a few from Go On Write).

I'm writing this one under my own name. I already have a pretty healthy social media presence + email subscribers, so it seems a bit foolish to pick a new name & release it out into the ether, especially when I actually LIKE this story and am not embarrassed to write it lol. I'll still probably play with the pen name thing when I want to write something...trashy/cheesy...but for now I think I'm going to try to leverage my following & network to spread the word.

I've set a goal to publish this novella by 9/30!

(then I'll start on the next, hopefully rolling out end of October, then the end of November...and so on..)

Good luck everyone!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
So my update after the long weekend is as follows:

- My fourth story is done with it's primary edits. Now, I let it sit for a few days while working on story #5 (which is 4000 words in so far, and set to be about 4-5 times that length). Then I edit again, then pass it along to the chief (aka my fiance) for final approval.

- Got covers completed for stories 1-4. I went with The Book Cover Designer, since they had lots of options from several artists. Also, buying four covers at once got some attention, especially after I told them I plan on releasing 2-3 stories a month. May have someone to work with regularly, who's interested in creating work I can use, especially if they know I'll buy it.

- I've decided to stop obsessing over the idea of over-saturation in the ebook market, as well as price points. I am going to overcome it by producing lots of work, and I've started researching potential marketing for my multiple book series (two started, two more being planned). I'll eventually lower the price on my shorter work and make collections, and use them as loss-leaders.

- Now I just need a kick in the butt to get my website made. I've gotten lots of good advice here (especially in PM's, you all know who you are), but the writing is driving me. I almost can't stop. I'm carrying around pads of paper and my laptop like a junkie, only taking breaks when it gets too warm in my office (stupid Arizona). But, since I'm looking into marketing and creating a brand around my pen name, I just need to buckle down and do it. Before I release book two in my series, I'm getting it done. That's my pledge.

So... how's everyone else coming along? :)

Sounds great! Keep up the writing.

If you need help with website, I can help out. I'm thinking of launching Author Website creation services and I need some examples for portfolio, I would be willing to do few freebies for members on this forum. I've done a few already but need more. So this could work out if you need help! ;)

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Gymjunkie. I'll send you a PM and we can discuss options.

I've adopted the philosophy that if I can't do a good job with something within a couple hours that I can pay a nominal fee for someone else to do, I'm going to pay someone else. Book covers are a perfect example. They're the shiny coat of paint on a car. It's the first thing you see, so to me spending $35 for a cover better than what I can make is a good investment. It helps that I have a slowlane job that pays well, so the investment doesn't hurt.

Which is also why a website service sounds good. I pretty technical, but for me to learn how to build a site would take me away from writing. That could be another 10k words.

My drive is already causing some parts of my life to suffer. I don't remember full conversations with my fiance. I don't go out with friends. It is like I'm working two jobs. But, if it's something I want to work, I know I have to make sacrifices. That way when I succeed I can do whatever I want. So even though my updates are on progress, I'm leaving out those details.

Britnidanielle, 1k words a day isn't much. Do you have other things going on? I only ask because there are ways to really increase that exponentially.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You're on fire, seriously! It sounds like you're well on your way in the "producing lots of work" department. Well done! Have you had any results so far from your first book? Or is it too soon to tell? I'm recalling that Held for Ransom might've said it tends to take 10-14 days to know what kind of results you get, but any indicators so far?

I'm still plugging away on books 4 and 5, but doubt I'll be hitting publish on either of them for at least a few weeks. Book 4 has a ton of illustrations, and book 5 will be at least 20K words, so I still have a ways to go. I need to clone myself, dang it!

No sales yet. Haven't used my KDP free days, waiting until I have more books out then adding to the back "Also by..."

20k words isn't much as I'm learning. Plan and write, rinse repeat :)

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I think I need to get remarried so I can have someone to outsource work to, lol. So many husband and wife teams! :)

I'm amazed at how fast you're flying through the process. Today, I'm working on covers for my series, and, hopefully, I should have the first book published by end of the day.

Lovin' the updates.

Congrats! It feels good getting work out there.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, shoot me a PM, we will talk. I'll probably do a few more for Fastlaners, maybe will start another thread for it.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
My drive is already causing some parts of my life to suffer. I don't remember full conversations with my fiance. I don't go out with friends. It is like I'm working two jobs. But, if it's something I want to work, I know I have to make sacrifices.

I seriously love you guys! Finding so much in common with many of you. Breaking Free, my kitchen floor got mopped for the first time in a month yesterday when my hands reached their word limit--about 7500 plus email and social media. My husband accuses me of not listening to him just because he can hear the keyboard clicking as we converse. Your plan for marketing sounds just like my own, except articulated where mine is just fuzzy in my head. And thanks for asking about everyone else's progress...seeing the replies is inspiring.

For my own update (and yes, I'll start a thread soon) I now have five titles published in my fiction genre. I'm within 8000 words of my target on a full-length novel that I think crosses over some genres. Writing this fast means probable extensive re-write, and I've found a source of beta readers at Goodreads that I'm going to leverage for that purpose. I spent part of the weekend crafting a cover for this one, in the process learning a bit about using Gimp. My husband didn't recognize one element for what it was, so I need to re-do it with less blurring, and when I do, will publish on my own progress thread for critique/commentary. I'll be glad when I can afford someone else to do that for me, but unfortunately I don't have a slowlane job, or any other type of job to fund my writing projects. Hmmm, maybe THIS should be on my own progress post. But now, I'm itching to finish my book. BBL.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Britnidanielle, 1k words a day isn't much. Do you have other things going on? I only ask because there are ways to really increase that exponentially.

You're right, it's not. I write for a living...so I'm writing all of the time during the day, then I switch to mom mode. I work at home, while homeschooling my son. So that eats up my day time. I work on my novella at night. I could totally do more than 1000 words, but I find myself writing-editing-rewriting the same section-editing again-writing. It takes me a while to get through it. I'm going to try to stop thinking so much and increase my output, but it's hard for me not to go over each section a million times while I write it. I tweak as I move along.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You're right, it's not. I write for a living...so I'm writing all of the time during the day, then I switch to mom mode. I work at home, while homeschooling my son. So that eats up my day time. I work on my novella at night. I could totally do more than 1000 words, but I find myself writing-editing-rewriting the same section-editing again-writing. It takes me a while to get through it. I'm going to try to stop thinking so much and increase my output, but it's hard for me not to go over each section a million times while I write it. I tweak as I move along.

I feel your pain. I've had to really, really work hard to not edit as I go, and I still catch myself doing it sometimes. Now it might work for you, but for me, I found it was a waste of time. This is because I wind up, at the end, editing it again as a whole. For me, it's been more productive to focus on getting words typed versus quality. The three rounds of cleanup I do really go a long ways for that quality.

Now I do know of several talented writers that swear by editing as you go, so what works for me may not be best for you; your process may be saving you days worth of editing. I would be interested to compare notes and overall time spent from start to end.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Now I do know of several talented writers that swear by editing as you go, so what works for me may not be best for you; your process may be saving you days worth of editing. I would be interested to compare notes and overall time spent from start to end.

I'm sure it's not saving me much time lol, especially considering I'm adding 1,000 words a day to your....7500? lol I also re-read the section I worked on the next day & make tweaks as well. So it's a slow, slow process. That said, I'm going to have my 25,000 words by Sept. 23 & publish by the 30th. So...we'll how I'll adjust as I continue to go along.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sure it's not saving me much time lol, especially considering I'm adding 1,000 words a day to your....7500? lol I also re-read the section I worked on the next day & make tweaks as well. So it's a slow, slow process. That said, I'm going to have my 25,000 words by Sept. 23 & publish by the 30th. So...we'll how I'll adjust as I continue to go along.

Don't be afraid to change and adapt. I'm by no means an expert, and my 7500 a day has been reduced to a thousand like you, thanks to my slowlane job. But we're doing the important thing, and that's sitting down to write every day.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Don't be afraid to change and adapt. I'm by no means an expert, and my 7500 a day has been reduced to a thousand like you, thanks to my slowlane job. But we're doing the important thing, and that's sitting down to write every day.

Thanks! I overthink things, like my story lol, but using the snowflake method is DEFINITELY helping me out. I feel like I have a sense of direction and I'm not just winging it as I go along, which has been the death of my other fiction efforts.

Can't wait to hear about your results!

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Next book uploaded. This time to both Kindle and Smashwords. Phew, talk about a learning curve on formatting. But, it should just get better from here!

I'll be using my short story's KDP free days to try and draw attention to my pen name and get people drawn to my book. Now, back to writing...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.