The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Remote job labor arbitrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
As a fun experiment I’ve been sending out half assed resumes to jobs on indeed.com trying to land a remote job that pays 40-60k a year and then have VA’s do it.

It would be a fun way to test if this is a viable strategy. It’s just some straight up arbitrage but in the labor market. Find a job that overvalues the actual labor needed to perform a job and use cheaper labor to accomplish it. No market is perfectly in equilibrium. Especially the labor market. With the rise of VA’s there’s probably a ton of inefficiencies to take advantage of.

Now I’m curious how many jobs I could get doing this.

Maybe you could get 10 remote jobs and have VA’s do them and make a half a million a year essentially as a contractor but for BS jobs.

This may fizzle out. It may turn into something. But it’s an interesting idea and I’d laugh my a$$ off if I ever read a story about the person who did this on a large scale and made a killing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Something like this has been done before where a man outsourced his job to someone in China for a fifth of his salary.

A security check on a US company has reportedly revealed one of its staff was outsourcing his work to China.

The software developer, in his 40s, is thought to have spent his workdays surfing the web, watching cat videos on YouTube and browsing Reddit and eBay.

He reportedly paid just a fifth of his six-figure salary to a company based in Shenyang to do his job

. . .

"Evidence even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. All told, it looked like he earned several hundred thousand dollars a year, and only had to pay the Chinese consulting firm about $50,000 (£31,270) annually."

It has been done before, and can be done again!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
What type of labor jobs?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What type of labor jobs?

Labor means work. Not a labor job like digging ditches. Labor like employees in general. It’s referred to as the labor market in economics.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Something like this has been done before where a man outsourced his job to someone in China for a fifth of his salary.

It has been done before, and can be done again!

He still had to go in to work. I mean having 5-10 “full time” jobs and living somewhere else with nothing but a laptop.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
That's not the most ethical way to do business, is it?

Your entire revenue stream and livelihood is built around lying to people who are trusting you.

It might be possible, but do you really want to be the kind of person that literally lives a lie?

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
With @csalvato on this one. Yes it may work, but is it the right to do to the end companies? Why not just start a contracting company at that point and be up front? That's what we've done in our business for the services end and you probably stand to make more money actually contracting imo....

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
That's not the most ethical way to do business, is it?

Your entire revenue stream and livelihood is built around lying to people who are trusting you.

It might be possible, but do you really want to be the kind of person that literally lives a lie?

The business needs work done and will pay a certain rate for it. If the work gets done their business should grow and be able to provide profit for the owner(s) who is/are happy.

The assistant needs to work and will charge a certain rate for it. If they have work and are paid at their market rate they should be happy.

All business is being the middleman between organizing resources and some other entity consuming the product of those organized resources.

Am I unethical because my employee works for 15/hr and customers effectively pay 100/hr for our work?

Is it justified because I pay for the resources to perform the work? (Mower/truck/trailer) Does it become unethical if the costs are lower? It is a free market.

The assistants could apply for the jobs and perform the work themselves and make more money. The businesses could reach out and use assistants themselves instead of offering positions for too much money.

Reactions: SDE

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread closed, the forum isn't going to give a voice to a money making hustle where the main gist of the hustle is a massive deception.

If you're sending out resumes with YOUR name, it's implied that YOU'RE doing the work.

Am I unethical because my employee works for 15/hr and customers effectively pay 100/hr for our work?

It's not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads