The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Red pill, down the hatch

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
My next plan tomorrow is to outline the tech/functionality the site I would need and then weigh the pros/cons of learning it myself vs hiring a website developer.

The obviously pro in hiring the website developer is speed but the slower track of learning it myself would seem to have more long-term value. Thoughts?
If the website is a straightforward website and/or its functionality can be done using Wordpress, then build it yourself. You'll learn a ton, which will help if you need to outsource later--it's WAY easier to outsource something you know how to do, rather than trying to hand off something & hope whoever you hire can/will do it the way you want.

psyguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 3, 2019
If the website is a straightforward website and/or its functionality can be done using Wordpress, then build it yourself. You'll learn a ton, which will help if you need to outsource later--it's WAY easier to outsource something you know how to do, rather than trying to hand off something & hope whoever you hire can/will do it the way you want.

Ok, great and that makes sense. I'll see what wordpress can do and then go from there. Thank you!

SeanC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 2, 2019
Ok, great and that makes sense. I'll see what wordpress can do and then go from there. Thank you!

Wordpress does 99% of what you'd need to do for most prototypes - DM me if you have any questions.

You've got good points about it maybe not being a good idea to just quit your only paycheck and start on a venture that probably will fail.

Shows more common sense than most Gary V chanters.

Here's what I'd suggest - take some of your best business ideas. Figure out what they have in common. Figure out what your role in taking action for those ideas will be. Maybe you'll do it all - but you'll probably outsource some quickly if its at all successful.

Now that you've figured out your role - try to freelance in that role for a bit. You can often make enough to live off (maybe a bit spartan) of working as a part-time freelancer.

Now you're:
1. Getting paid to learn the thing you need.
2. Seeing ways that other people's ventures get all *****'d up, so you're raising your odds of success.
3. Saving enough extra time in the day to put into your venture.

If it fails - no problem, you acquired a ton of skills, and can try again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

psyguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 3, 2019
Wordpress does 99% of what you'd need to do for most prototypes - DM me if you have any questions.

You've got good points about it maybe not being a good idea to just quit your only paycheck and start on a venture that probably will fail.

Shows more common sense than most Gary V chanters.

Here's what I'd suggest - take some of your best business ideas. Figure out what they have in common. Figure out what your role in taking action for those ideas will be. Maybe you'll do it all - but you'll probably outsource some quickly if its at all successful.

Now that you've figured out your role - try to freelance in that role for a bit. You can often make enough to live off (maybe a bit spartan) of working as a part-time freelancer.

Now you're:
1. Getting paid to learn the thing you need.
2. Seeing ways that other people's ventures get all *****'d up, so you're raising your odds of success.
3. Saving enough extra time in the day to put into your venture.

If it fails - no problem, you acquired a ton of skills, and can try again.

Thanks Sean,

I appreciate the advice and offer. I probably need more ideas that don't suck before I can identify themes but the control and scalability of websites and apps are appealing.

Vic Sage

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Aug 7, 2017
Pittsburgh PA
Here's my two cents on the "100 ideas" idea: The last time I did this, I spent time every day trying to produce 10 ideas a day until I got a hundred. The thought being, if anyone doesn't know this trick, that the process of generating dozens of ideas of varying worth will produce one great idea. I started out with the only things that occurred to me at first -- ideas to improve my existing business. Then I ventured outside my field and came up with some novel ideas, like a bamboo-planting service for people who want fences. Then, as I wound my way toward 100, I was writing things like "bacon-flavored chewing gum" and "suits for house cats". It was getting bizarre. In the end, interestingly, the first ideas I had were the best. I implemented them and increased my business, lowered my overhead, and eliminated the headaches that were making me search for ideas for other pursuits. Ultimately, I liked my own business again. So it might be that the first idea you get is the right one (attach zen parable of your choice here).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...