The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Real Estate Investment Club

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm considering joining my local REI Club. What exactly goes on there? Are there guest speakers? Discussions? Activities? Also, would I be allowed to join being that I'm 16? I mean, I can't even legally purchase real estate! Lastly, for those of you who belong to a REI Club, do you think it's worth it? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Simple answer: YES.
JOIN NOW.
Probably you wil have to pay a small fee, but if I were you I'd call them and ask them for a "student special fee" --get it for free if possible.

What's going on in there? It depends, but most have guest speakers and networking sessions. Some will offer training courses. Some others present deals and lok for investors. But the best thing of all is to mingle with people that are in your local market doing stuff. That is the most important thing, IMO.

Let us know how it goes when you join. And congratulations for deciding to take action.

PS: STOP THINKING THAT YOUR AGE IS A PROBLEM. YOU CAN DO ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT OTHERS CAN.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Simple answer: YES.
JOIN NOW.
Probably you wil have to pay a small fee, but if I were you I'd call them and ask them for a "student special fee" --get it for free if possible.

What's going on in there? It depends, but most have guest speakers and networking sessions. Some will offer training courses. Some others present deals and lok for investors. But the best thing of all is to mingle with people that are in your local market doing stuff. That is the most important thing, IMO.

Let us know how it goes when you join. And congratulations for deciding to take action.

PS: STOP THINKING THAT YOUR AGE IS A PROBLEM. YOU CAN DO ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT OTHERS CAN.
Thanks for the advice. On the website it said the fee is $160 or something around there. I'm gonna send them an email to see if there is anything they can do regarding a student discount. I might wait until this March to join though, because then I'll have my license and I'll be able to transport myself without having to rely on my parents who will be working when most of the meetings take place.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
My guess is that there is more than one Real Estate Investment Club in your area. The fee of $160 seems rather steep to me.

But, of course, ask for the discount.

If you don't ask, the answer is always "no."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

I think this is excellent advice anyone can follow.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Agree with others, don't let your age deter you from joining. That being said, count on being the youngest person in the room and don't be suprised to get strange looks from older people ...talking from prior experience, remember their problem not yours. I joined a REI club and looked way younger than most others, can almost say I was always the youngest, yet I enjoyed the group a lot.

What went on in the mentioned REI club? First thing, meetings were held once a month for two hours. As any formal club, there would always be an opening with a brief discussion about the group's health and direction, then new members would be introduced. The majority of the time was spent listening to guest speakers. During every session, a guest speaker would ramble for about an hour and then there was an open forum were people could ask questions. Boy, people loved asking questions and there were plenty of interesting discussions! Obviously, all the guest speaker were related to the field in some form (e.g. small claim court judge, county tax assessor, CPA, RE attorney, code enforcer, successful foreclosure investor, etc.).

I should also mention that before every meeting, people were encouraged to show up 30 minutes prior so they could network with other folks. Many people followed this route as it was an excellent way to network. Also, the majority of group members were directly involved in real estate: mortgage officers/brokers, realtors, contractors, investors, etc.

Best thing by far: most people shared a deep interest in RE ... because it's just that cool.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I just checked the one in my area and it cost $125

Same situation for me. I have looked into 6 different clubs with 60 miles. All have memberships of $100-$200. There is one free club here as well. Many will allow you to attend one meeting for $15-$20.

There is one membership fee club that might be worthwhile for me in Denver. It was founded and is run by William Bronchick. $199/yr. He's a big RE investment guru that gives $4k seminars. So the math doesn't add up for me. Why the small fee per year, when is seminars run for so much per weekend. My concern is the meetings are just sales ploys. (That little voice again)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, they probably are. Those" free" seminars are usually a way to reel in the big fish for their big seminars. If you want real information for free then start asking questions here, there are enough experts willing to help you and answer for free. Nobody will do things for you, they will guide you, but you are the one that has to take the steps. Now, if you can't invest $199 for education/networking opportunities then start reading more books and free information available on the web, and ask questions here. Libraries should then be one of the places you visit often.

Many clubs will let you go to a couple of meetings for free if you ask.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.