The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth it to buy one of those real estate investment courses?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
"Entrepreneur" recommended one, but I can't find the link now.

If someone here has bought one they thought was comprehensive & worthwhile, could you recommend it?

Lastly, what do you guys think of this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 25, 2020

If someone here has bought one they thought was comprehensive & worthwhile, could you recommend it?

All depends on how dedicated you are to actually taking action.

If you know you aren't ready for the level of dedication required in one of those high ticket programs, just dabble with something for $10 on Udemy until you're ready.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Biggerpockets.com has a lot if free resources. My advice is to listen to a few podcast and read a few blogs/ ebooks on the different asset classes to help figure out what path you are interested (SFH, MF (1-4), MF(5+), Flip, Wholesale, Airbnb, etc).
Each has different pros and cons and difference on cost, time to get return on money,cash flows, and risk. A few people on this forum are in one if not multiple areas. Post your questions and start to narrow it down to what type fits your needs. From there you could start looking into specific books and courses. Use the free stuff first!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I'd start with the bigger pockets forum and podcast and then do my first deal. Find an agent that is experienced in whatever type of real estate you want to do (i.e. multi family rentals, flipping, etc.) and lean on their experience during and after the deal. There's no replacement for real world experience, and the easiest thing to do is leverage that from other people.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Uh? RE is mostly a lone-wolf operation. Sometimes, we come together in packs for our contact circle, but most of our time is spent sniffing out the deals and doing the work required. It's endless hours of research and looking at properties -- one dead-end after another to find that one deal...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Probably not. Back in the 90’s before the internet I’d say yes. My friend bought the Carlton Sheets course and everything was totally new to me as a 20yo. But now, everything can be found online and their are many people who will help you.

My question is, what is the purpose for buying the course? Is it a general knowledge course? Or a niched down course on something specific?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
General knowledge.

I'm queasy about buying overseas as I have no annual leave this year and IF I was going to buy something, I'd end up buying without even seeing the property. Besides, I have no experience, and don't even know who I can trust.

I'd most likely end up investing in a REIT instead, but even that requires a lot of research.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
The advantage of physical property is leverage.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
General knowledge.

I'm queasy about buying overseas as I have no annual leave this year and IF I was going to buy something, I'd end up buying without even seeing the property. Besides, I have no experience, and don't even know who I can trust.

I'd most likely end up investing in a REIT instead, but even that requires a lot of research.

Are you buying for cash flow? Do you have parameters? Even though I live in the US, I’ve bought property sight unseen based on the numbers.

I assume you are planning to get a loan? I would learn how mortgages here work? The rate you’d probably get and get an idea of what rent to sale price ratio you would need to make a good investment.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I'm planning to borrow from my parents.
Graham Stephan / MeetKevin says the key is find below the market deals.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You're borrowing? Are they going on the title? How are you going to secure their interest?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Ok but what does that mean to you? Are you fixing and flipping? Buying and holding? What’s your criteria for a below market deal?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Real estate existed long before there were courses on it.

Look up John Jacob Astor and tell me if you think he ever went to a Rich Dad seminar.

You can learn a lot by reading, but you learn more from doing. The last thing you want to do is shell out thousands of dollars for a course that teaches you information you can find for free.

Save that money for your deals.

edit; the guy went to Harvard and learned a ton from his wealthy family, who probably also bank rolled him. Still, tons of Ivy League grads with rich parents never take ANY action on stuff like this. And nearly every entrepreneur I know in this space in my area looks like a truck driver, has no formal training, and has just been at it for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Real estate existed long before there were courses on it.

Look up John Jacob Astor and tell me if you think he ever went to a Rich Dad seminar.

You can learn a lot by reading, but you learn more from doing. The last thing you want to do is shell out thousands of dollars for a course that teaches you information you can find for free.

Save that money for your deals.

edit; the guy went to Harvard and learned a ton from his wealthy family, who probably also bank rolled him. Still, tons of Ivy League grads with rich parents never take ANY action on stuff like this. And nearly every entrepreneur I know in this space in my area looks like a truck driver, has no formal training, and has just been at it for years.
You've brought up an interesting dilemma between those who are born with a leg up and the rest of us. I have known a lot of people who have had all the family advantages and then never really fulfilled that promise.

I believe it comes down to having a fire in one's belly. It's the high internal heat that propels you to do whatever it takes to become successful in real estate or other businesses. Yes, I've paid for a lot of classes and bunches of higher education that have helped me along the way. And, I've read piles of books, watched hours of podcasts, and listened to an endless stream of audiobooks. At the same time, I was out there day after day getting the hands-on experience while risking my own money. Applied education has a different gravity point than book learning.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Hehe, the course I'm looking at is like $30.

I think I'll start with BiggerPockets podcast then go from there.

I guess I'm mainly looking at buy & hold. I'm mainly interested in generating rental income.

This is interesting:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5veYUeatw

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
hey @fastlanedoll ,

recently I learned where and how to study.

I do agree that podcasts are valuable, but don't start with a podcast.

read 3 books on real estate investing, but select those books carefully and must be by different authors.

why books?
books are more information-dense and generally well thought out.

then watch podcast passively, like when you jog doing nothing. that how you will gain some unconventional insights and some very practical ones. podcasts have very valuable points but the rest are fillers.

also don't depend on only one source of information. try and learn from different places. that's how you will have the breadth and will also be familiar with different approaches.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Hehe, the course I'm looking at is like $30.

I think I'll start with BiggerPockets podcast then go from there.

I guess I'm mainly looking at buy & hold. I'm mainly interested in generating rental income.

This is interesting:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5veYUeatw
Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance or BRRR
If that is what you are interested in google that. Also depending on $$ decide between-1-4 units(treated like a single family home for the appraisal and refinance like in the video) and 5+ unit place which is valued by rental income. Haven't touched anything 5+ myself so just going off of stuff I read and listen, but more doors = more cashflow. Learn about alternative financing because his strategy in the video assumes you live in the unit to get the unit for a low down payment. Your everyday bank will want to get 20-25% down for a rental property youare not living in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.