The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Real Estate Innovation in Canada

AKN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 24, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Greetings and salutations fellow millionaires, thousandaires, and hundredaires.

Long time no write. This isn’t a progress thread, or for backlinking, nor is it a vote to determine which shade of grey would best suit my logo. I would like to hear opinions from the expert real estate aficionados, coders, dealmakers, because the platform I have built involves all of the above. In a nutshell, this journey went from a personal frustration, to idea, to curiosity, to skill building, to execution, to prototype, to feedback, to holy shit look what I built and people want to use it. This is the realization of a real estate platform myself, and others in the industry have always wanted to see.

I will give you the quick rundown on how I arrived at this point, how I got fired for being an entrepreneur, how I learned PHP, Javascript, Jquery, HTML5, CSS, AJAX, Git, Terminal, and good enough design…all in under 6 months as I built the website, how I got paid to learn on Fiverr and became a number one seller with a 95% rating, and how I am continuing this eventful journey.

I would especially like to hear anyone’s experience with real estate listing services, particularly investors, first time home buyers, developers, or brokers. Believe me, I know all of my competitors, I have studied them like a hawk, at first glance you might think I built a ‘prettier’ version of what already exists, dig a little deeper and you’ll realize there is much more depth.

I am aware the kind of odds I’m up against, and am moving ahead without fear. The barriers to entry would crush any mere mortal…the magnitude of real estate, the consequences of property and privacy law, the corporations that control everything, the technical challenges and maintenance…bring it.

Real estate online (particularly in Canada, more so on the Westside) seems like it hasn’t evolved since the ‘internets’ came out. Its archaic presence annoys me, and I sacrificed a lot to try and change some aspect of that. I don’t care if I fail, I will fail fast, as I’m miles ahead with new skills and connections, and implementation and iteration will only become quicker and more efficient.

A bit of history and getting fired for being an entrepreneur

Back in my early college days, there was only one class in which I scored an N. Apparently it is a grade reserved for those that don’t show up to class or write the exams. That class was programming, with Microsoft’s Visual Basic to boot. It is now 2012, and the majority of the world spends 95% of their awake time staring at a computer screen. I thought, I better adapt.
evolutionofman.png
Kids half my age are becoming millionaires because of online experiments, people are changing the world and how we interact because of the creation of online communities, people are not subject to modern day slavery and have the freedom to do what they want because of this so called internet. Now, I am not all of the sudden a programming evangelist, it’s something I had to learn to be comfortable with to achieve the desired outcome. Do you need it? No. You can outsource it. Can anyone learn it? Yes, and faster than you think with a bit of dedication and free flowing caffeinated beverages. This is what I chose, to learn the skills that will stay with me for the rest of my life, and ultimately enable me to instruct others on how I want it done with a higher level of involvement.

Fast forward a few years past college, the foray into property flipping, and a contracting stint, and I found myself taking a real estate ‘degree’ program at UBC. I didn’t even think I was qualified to be in that program, which I wasn’t, and that’s why I took every course they offered in hopes that they would grant me a conditional degree at the end. I was wrong. But I found a true passion. I’m not one to boast, but I killed that shit. The best part was that every project required real life application to existing properties. Analyzing value potential, creative financing, and how to handle and make money with money. While I knew I would never fall into that trap of graduating and working until 50 or 60 at some job, then retiring with nothing but pocket lint, the particular path was promising and was a great stepping stone to get experience with real estate, as well as understanding market conditions. Not to mention a cushy 6 figure income and being able to work from home.

I landed the elusive job as an appraiser after 18 months of applying for it…and subsequently lost it after 3. My brother and I took a personal interest in ‘helping’ a distressed owner of a two bedroom condo that had undergone renovations for leaks. The owner’s special assessment was somewhere north of $30,000. My job was to find its market value. Properties like that take a significant decrease in value to compensate for the stigma. I knew what other similar apartments sold for after renovations, and I knew we could do the same to this one. We had been networking with investors who specialize in these types of properties, and thought this one would be a good candidate. It was truly a win-win situation for everyone. The place would be sold, the owner would have his assessment paid, we would acquire an undervalued property, selling it for a healthy return. Instead…I got fired. Word got back to the head honcho, as the homeowner thought we were trying to cheat him out of his home, and used sensitive information to make that decision. I thought I would be sued, but luckily nothing ever came of it. Good intentions, bad outcome. You live and you learn.

At least I still had a job working at a nightclub. When others would celebrate the arrival of Friday, it was one of my busiest days. I would look at properties in the morning, write them up in the afternoon, teach martial arts, train, head to the nightclub to work, party, then make appointments the next morning to do it all over again. Now that I was booted out of a decent gig, all I had to look forward to was breaking up fights and making sure drunk girls didn’t get run over by a bus.

I had previously experimented with web design, the basic shit like wordpress, and a bit of graphics using CS5, but had not progressed until late 2011 after I got fired. After a quick escape to Shanghai to drown myself in Tsing Tao Lager, I decided it was time to go all in. I quit entirely from being a part of someone else’s plan, and was 100% dedicated to creating a business that would change everything.

I started with the basics of programming. The if else statements, the variables, the database, all of that good shit. For those at that point, I have one recommendation: stackoverflow.com. The only thing standing in your way is what question to ask. People would always say I looked tired, but in reality, the red eyes and lazy eyelids were the result of a burning desire to understand a new business, and go as deep down the rabbit hole as I could. Then I found a little site called Fiverr.

Getting paid to learn

I had just begun to get the PHP basics down, enough to echo out the infamous ‘Hello World’, however I wanted to create a login system for the membership aspect of the site. The fact that you could pay someone half way across the world five dollars to complete a block of code you had been trying to fix for the last few days, when it’s close to midnight, and no one else wants to deal with your shit, truly highlights the power of the web. Web based businesses are incredibly attractive to me because you can completely remove time, distance, and inevitably yourself from the equation. Factor in scale, and/or magnitude, and you have what I consider the most sophisticated business model.

I had contacted an individual who lived all the way in India and was a self-proclaimed PHP whiz. I thought what the hell, it’s five bucks. At the time I would have given my left nut to get rid of my programming stall. Within a matter of minutes, I was sent over some code after he had corrected it, plugged it into my site, and it F*ckin worked. He had reformatted the syntax so it was actually readable, and I learned the proper way to structure code. Fiverr got their $1, Jaswinderdeep got his $4, and I regained my sanity and was able to move ahead with my project.

It wasn’t long after I had my good friend in India help me with my code, that I started to really understand programming logic, and realized it essentially applies to every language. From PHP to Ruby to Javascript, you start to see patterns, only handled in their own unique ways. I had taught myself enough about web development, I figured why not test my skills on Fiverr and see it from the other side.

I put up a ‘gig’, as they call it, which allows you to market what kind of skills you are providing. The culmination of my glorious education made me decide to spew out every technical skill I had. My subject line read, ‘I will help you with HTML/CSS/PHP/Jquery/Fireworks/Photoshop/
Word/Excel’. It turned out to be a good tactic, because I had a request for help with nearly every topic I advertised. I though to myself…shit, now I have to back it up. The honest truth was, I never knew how to do a damn thing that was requested of me, but I had the knowledgebase and the tenacity to figure it out, not to mention Google, my secret weapon.

After delivering on a few of the gigs, I was surprised to receive feedback such as:

- ‘This is PERFECT! Thank you, that was QUICK!’,
- ‘Delivered super fast and exceeded my expectations!’,
- ‘Fantastic job! I look forward to contact you again for additional work as it comes up. You provide amazing service’

…and after all the positive feedback, I thought to myself, thanks…Google. Who would have thought, someone asked me a question, I relayed it to Google, got the answer within minutes, and relayed it back to the customer…in exchange for money.

What I started to do next, doesn’t exactly play well with their terms. While the site doesn’t want you to use their model to collect leads, I would frequently get requests to handle larger projects. I was still giving the site business, although not being subject to getting paid peanuts for high quality work. I think it is brilliant for both the seller and buyer. The buyer pays a low fee to determine the quality of work, or simply perform experiments, and the seller is able to ‘tease’ the buyer with access to a quality service. People were so satisfied by the jobs I did, the work continued off the site, and I had my first few clients. Upsell McGee. I don’t need to go into detail, but I made some good money using a skill I never thought I would possess.

...continued below

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AKN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 24, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
LiveorList.com: My brainchild

All the different experiences, getting past an excruciatingly difficult learning curve, and the desire to build my own platform, began to materialize. I went from disbelief that I could actually produce something of that magnitude, to getting real estate millionaires excited about something new. Being involved with real estate as extensively as my brother and I have been, we saw a lot of pain points and opportunities, as well as the echo of frustrations that others in the industry face. As a real estate professional, you need to access every detail about a property. Assessments, zoning, property tax, location amenities, schools, easements…the list goes on. I soon came across a government initiative called Open Data that provides all of this information in machine readable format. I was able to find a way to incorporate all of this data into my platform, which creates a visually appealing representation on a map. Where we were once sued for encroaching on an easement we never knew existed, it is now possible for us to determine all of this data at the outset, with the click of a button.

I have been in talks with the local Open Data organization that encourages entrepreneurs to build products through the use of data that is released. They have shown enough interest in the platform, which led them to suggest a Q & A session to help it get exposure. That kind of reaction is something not usually factored in when building a product of this nature, that there might be people out there wanting to see something succeed, and are willing to help you get there. I have an appreciation for these small wins, or any kind of feedback on something I created from scratch. The Q & A is set to be published in a few days, and I will post the link so you can understand what we are trying to achieve.

I also entered a Google Developer Challenge that coincidentally focuses on how applications use municipal data to solve a problem. I easily display the affordable housing alongside other non-market housing, and am planning on using that as a marketing channel, as a way to get the attention of politicians such as the mayor to showcase how our application helps others become aware of what is available.

As we refined the business model, the platform started to take shape as a useful tool for real estate investors, or anyone who has a personal interest in real estate. A listing service that makes real estate fun, attractive, and informative. It has the personality of a social media platform, focusing on visual aspects and interactivity, as well as the transparency that we longed for all these years. I have built my own version of an MLS system, which I view as an open real estate marketplace for the masses.

Of course, I am not naïve. The majority will still use the MLS, and that will not change. But to be able to provide an alternative for those seeking one, and to be at the helm of a new venture is exciting to me, no matter if it is burned to the ground. Property managers, landlords, investors, homeowners, or developers can showcase properties instead of just listing them, and have all of this data automatically aggregated for them.

6 months, 9+ programming languages, nearly $60,000+ worth of time invested, and I have something I am proud of. Monetary costs so far have been the acquisition of the domain name, hosting fees, and a couple of Javascript libraries. It is unreal how many free development tools are available. Git for version control, Sequel Pro for database management, MAMP for local development, and Stack Overflow for life’s burning questions, to name a few.

The downsides, currently, there is limited data available, and for now it is B.C. centric. With an industry such as real estate, it is very localized, but the magnitude and profit margins are enormous. Monetization strategies we have discussed are leads for exclusive deals, an inclusion of certified home appraisals, premium listings, business advertisement, strategic alliances with listing services, as well as investment deal packages.

We are planning to release property deals as they come in, and I have designed an interactive interface to analyze the investment. We want to encourage those who are interested in freeing themselves through real estate, to learn about different ways to structure a deal, and have the numbers laid out for them. The package includes a mortgage analysis, comparable analysis, profit share analysis, and future value predictions alongside a graphing visualization. There is something for everybody.

Major listing sources have not yet been acquired, and I am not interested in ‘scraping’ them from unreliable endpoints, but the platform is built, and I can now focus a bit more on the business side of things. I want people to be able to easily find rent to owns, FSBO properties willing to do vendor take-back, or other deal properties you would otherwise have to dig for on other services, essentially easing the process in someway shape or form. Nothing is set in stone, what is today may not be tomorrow, but only through feedback and iteration will we be able to determine the best route for us to take.

Website link: liveorlist.com
Twitter: @liveorlist
I am: @aknaamani

If you managed to actually read this, or have opinions, feedback, or want to connect…holler.

D

DeletedUser2

I was just up in Vancouver recently. looking at some Real estate. brilliant.

see if you cant just buy a license to the MLS and port into your platform? it would be so much nicer than the crap they use now

Z

AKN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 24, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Z, it just so happens that it was my brother (Ironwill) you met while you were up here in Vancity. He speaks very highly of you. I figured you would be amongst the first to actually read about the process and relate.

With regards to the MLS, crap is an understatement. I will look into it, but the only viable route in B.C. I am aware of is the MLS Reciprocity, which opens up active listings from the MLS only to realtor profile websites. I've attempted to get my hands on it, but to no avail. Next step, kick the door down guns a blazin' so the industry can finally move out of the stone age.

D

DeletedUser2

Z, it just so happens that it was my brother (Ironwill) you met while you were up here in Vancity. He speaks very highly of you. I figured you would be amongst the first to actually read about the process and relate.

With regards to the MLS, crap is an understatement. I will look into it, but the only viable route in B.C. I am aware of is the MLS Reciprocity, which opens up active listings from the MLS only to realtor profile websites. I've attempted to get my hands on it, but to no avail. Next step, kick the door down guns a blazin' so the industry can finally move out of the stone age.
'

congrats on getting the attention and a write up on your site!

GO GET EM!

Canadian Startup Live or List Wants to Pull Real Estate Listings out of the Stone Age - Techvibes.com

sammich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 16, 2011
great story! thanks for sharing and impressive stuff with the website. i'm also kinda in a similar position with the whole programming/web development stuff but getting paid to learn at my current real estate job. no CS degree or any tech related but learned and continue to learn pretty much the technologies you had mentioned. to able to learn and grasp all that within a short time frame is a freaken daunting task. Very impressive for you to actually do that then utilize what you have learned into developing something tangible.

A bit of a technical question if you don't mind but how did you actually went about laying out the website architecturally?
Procedural based, MVC pattern, OOP? Did you incorporate a framework?

How long did it take you to finish developing it?

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
942%
Jun 7, 2008
Site looks great so far! Well done teaching yourself a skill, remaining dedicated and applying that skill measurably and productively.

I am running on 8 hours of sleep over the last 3 days, so I will revisit this thread and share thoughts / feedback soon.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I'm proud to say that I have managed to read your entire post! Great work thus far and best of luck in the future!

-Sean

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.