The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
It’s super obvious here in Australia.

We are so woke we are closing all our coal fired power stations, yet we still send all our coal to China and India so they can burn it anyway.

We live on the same planet, the result is the exact same, worse in fact because you have the emissions from shipping it to those countries to burn instead of just burning it here.

So now we have expensive power and blackouts while China is laughing at us burning all our cheap coal making cheap power for themselves.

And they’re the ones selling us all the solar panels, again, made with cheap power from our coal, our iron ore and other minerals.
I loooooove seeing woke jabronis here scratch their head when I mention this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not even a company as powerful as Facebook with unlimited cash, influence, and power, can force a success. Love it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Not even a company as powerful as Facebook with unlimited cash, influence, and power, can force a success. Love it.

Love it. Entrepreneurship is not about throwing more money at something and expecting it to work just because you had the money. This is both proof and hope for young entrepreneurs to be unafraid of giants.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

TBH, throwing money at problems isn't a good strategy in business, politics, war, healthcare, any arena. That's not how problems are solved.

So many people have this lazy thinking. "If we just had more funding..."

Cue the meme of the guy standing on a pile of ladders

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
TBH, throwing money at problems isn't a good strategy in business, politics, war, healthcare, any arena. That's not how problems are solved.

Man if only I had $1.5m CAD to throw away at that 2021 SVJ 63 Roadster...

(it works sometimes :hilarious:)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I honestly thought that once you have a lot of money, business is way easier. But that's not so simple. Even if you have a high marketing budget, it doesn't automatically guarantee results. Chances are you're going to blow through it without anything substantial to show for it. In this case, it's better to have less so you lose less money lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I honestly thought that once you have a lot of money, business is way easier. But that's not so simple. Even if you have a high marketing budget, it doesn't automatically guarantee results. Chances are you're going to blow through it without anything substantial to show for it. In this case, it's better to have less so you lose less money lol.
Oh I mean, it certainly helps. Having more money is always going to be preferable to having less money.

But the thing about money is that if you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't matter how much money you spend.

You'll just keep wasting it.

And the most resourceful people can figure stuff out with less resources... It's like reusing scrap material to build something versus buying new.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Oh I mean, it certainly helps. Having more money is always going to be preferable to having less money.

But the thing about money is that if you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't matter how much money you spend.

You'll just keep wasting it.

And the most resourceful people can figure stuff out with less resources... It's like reusing scrap material to build something versus buying new.

Of course. That was my point as well. If you don't know how to spend it well, you're simply going to waste more money. In such a case, it's better to bootstrap.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Having money is a HUGE advantage for ANY business. That's a fact.
However, using money as your key and only advantage leads nowhere. Money is a tool, simple as that.

But I am not saying anything we all don't already know.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Having money is a HUGE advantage for ANY business. That's a fact.

Yes huge piles of money can be important, but I think it is heavily overrated. If money was the key to success, VC investors wouldn't have a success rate of 5%, but more like 50%.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I see the benefit of it if you are hiking up a very steep "stair-master" type of hike. It's low impact but better leg workout. Yet for running, I'd be concerned about injuries. I am a runner and the lighter I am, the faster and longer I go. It's already a high impact sport (on pavement, we were design to run on trails). I'd keep the impact part of it as low as possible, your 70 year old self will thank you.
Makes sense. I had a different reasoning… I’m losing weight and intend to lose more. I want to maintain the same resistance my running body is used to if I can.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Makes sense. I had a different reasoning… I’m losing weight and intend to lose more. I want to maintain the same resistance my running body is used to if I can.

I've lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks by doing 2-day fasts from Sunday night to Wednesday morning.

Running's just harder cause it also increases your appetite.

But I would at least run on a trail instead of concrete / asphalt if you're going to run with a weighted vest.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
If you don't follow Pieter Levels, I can recommend it. He is a 'maker', creating online projects/businesses, and he's really transparent about his projects, earnings (millions of dollars each year) etc. He's created nomadlist.com and remoteok.com to name af few.

His latest project is interiorAI.com (created in 5 days), using AI to decorate your rooms.

This guy is a bit of a legend in Bali. I remember a talk he gave years ago about using things like product hunt in a certain way to launch new little startups like this.

Nomadlist was my favourite website back when I was travelling.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
About 3 weeks ago, someone emailed me an awesome testimonial. I read it and then was distracted, and forgot to save it.

Now I can't find it.

If you messaged me about 3 weeks ago with a great testimonial, please message me again. If I have a search parameter, I can find your original email and respond. Sorry!!!!

Saw these on Fb. Not old enough to remember these.

Maybe someone wants to revive these and sell them on Amazon? Wonder what the jungle scout numbers say?
View attachment 45392

View attachment 45393

Today's upgraded version...

Fruit Loops
Gatorade
Coke
Little Debbie Snack Cakes
Chips Ahoy
Ruffles
Doritoes
et. al.

:cool:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I had a DEXA scan done in May and another one done in September. In May I weighed 168lbs and the scan said my body fat was 24%. Keep in mind the DEXA scan body fat is always higher than other measurements because it uses a low powered xray and measures all the fat around your organs too. For comparison, I'm usually around 13-18% with calipers. It also said my bone density is in the lower percentile.

Anyway, after spending the summer mountain biking. My September scan I weighed 160lbs and my body fat went up to 25%. The scan said that I lost 10lbs of muscle and gained 2lbs of fat. I was kind of surprised because I didn't eat that different and definitely got in alot of cardio exercise.

I just don't believe I lost 10 lbs of muscle in 4 months while mountain biking almost everyday. My May and September scans were not done at the same facility so that's what I'm attributing the difference to. I'm going to get another scan next May at the same place. I'm going to do a 7 month weight train and I'll post the May 2023 results in 8 months!

The scan said that I lost 1 lb of muscle in each leg during this time. One of the reasons I did the scan was to see if biking alone could increase my leg mass. I guess the answer is no, or that it just maintained.

Here's the interesting thing to me. Most people think that when they are losing weight, that they are going in the right direction. My scan told me that I shouldn't be trying to lose weight. But I should be trying to maintain my weight and eat more when I am doing all that cardio. I want to get back to 168lbs and show 8 lbs of increased mass at my next scan.

Anyway, thought this was interesting. The scan costs between $80-$150, I would recommend anyone who is interested in health to get one of these done once or twice a year.

3A15D980-46F2-42B0-84FE-8A9C0E1454A4.jpeg

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
About 3 weeks ago, someone emailed me an awesome testimonial. I read it and then was distracted, and forgot to save it.

Now I can't find it.

If you messaged me about 3 weeks ago with a great testimonial, please message me again. If I have a search parameter, I can find your original email and respond. Sorry!!!!

Today's upgraded version...

Fruit Loops
Gatorade
Coke
Little Debbie Snack Cakes
Chips Ahoy
Ruffles
Doritoes
et. al.

:cool:
Don't forget the 600 calorie honey buns!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I had a DEXA scan done in May and another one done in September. In May I weighed 168lbs and the scan said my body fat was 24%. Keep in mind the DEXA scan body fat is always higher than other measurements because it uses a low powered xray and measures all the fat around your organs too. For comparison, I'm usually around 13-18% with calipers. It also said my bone density is in the lower percentile.

Anyway, after spending the summer mountain biking. My September scan I weighed 160lbs and my body fat went up to 25%. The scan said that I lost 10lbs of muscle and gained 2lbs of fat. I was kind of surprised because I didn't eat that different and definitely got in alot of cardio exercise.

I just don't believe I lost 10 lbs of muscle in 4 months while mountain biking almost everyday. My May and September scans were not done at the same facility so that's what I'm attributing the difference to. I'm going to get another scan next May at the same place. I'm going to do a 7 month weight train and I'll post the May 2023 results in 8 months!

The scan said that I lost 1 lb of muscle in each leg during this time. One of the reasons I did the scan was to see if biking alone could increase my leg mass. I guess the answer is no, or that it just maintained.

Here's the interesting thing to me. Most people think that when they are losing weight, that they are going in the right direction. My scan told me that I shouldn't be trying to lose weight. But I should be trying to maintain my weight and eat more when I am doing all that cardio. I want to get back to 168lbs and show 8 lbs of increased mass at my next scan.

Anyway, thought this was interesting. The scan costs between $80-$150, I would recommend anyone who is interested in health to get one of these done once or twice a year.

View attachment 45398
What were your macros like during this time? Carbs, fat, protein

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What were your macros like during this time? Carbs, fat, protein
I don't track my food. I generally intermittent fast and don't eat breakfast. I kind of just eat whatever. I do make sure I get decent protein. But I don't drink protein shakes like I used to. I also don't do any strength training when I'm biking. I'm usually just too tired to.

Here’s what my fit tracker says. This is considered a tough day. I maybe did these once a week. I’d eat like crazy after this but probably still not enough food to recover fully.

3D94744D-97DE-43D0-B1C2-DD0D28D3A6C4.jpeg
B8E831A6-BA03-4ED8-9ABB-C744EE7B0428.jpeg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Found it!

Hey MJ,

Just wanted to write you a personal note since I've never thanked you for changing my life.

We recently crossed over 3 million units sold... From working in a pet store at 18 for $8.50 an hour, to dropping out & hitting 7 figures profit at 21 through digital book publishing.
(can't find where to attach my sales dashboard here for proof)

MFL honestly was the one of the main drivers behind my success.

I'm not sure how I can repay you, besides recommending your book to everyone I know when they ask me how to get started.

But I do have a confession.. I did not continue to follow your advice, and got comfortable/lazy the past few years.
I recently lost a big chunk of my NW in crypto after not selling the top. Looking back, I was blinded by the "easy" wealth I "made", instead of plowing everything into growing my company.

(gonna do a thread on this soon to help others- I think crypto is one of the biggest distractions to success now.)

This further cemented your principles of not using markets for wealth, and only focusing on stuff you can control.

My focus now is rebuilding, attacking my business exclusively with a new energy, and exiting within 2 years.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and story, it really means a lot.

-{removed}​

Anyone spot the money phrase? Not about earning 7-figures...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don't track my food. I generally intermittent fast and don't eat breakfast. I kind of just eat whatever. I do make sure I get decent protein. But I don't drink protein shakes like I used to. I also don't do any strength training when I'm biking. I'm usually just too tired to.

Here’s what my fit tracker says. This is considered a tough day. I maybe did these once a week. I’d eat like crazy after this but probably still not enough food to recover fully.

View attachment 45399
View attachment 45400
All I can say is you demolished the calorie burn and lost a lot of weight, and the only thing I can think of, scientifically speaking, would be being too low on protein. That’s IF the Dexa is correct.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I've never even heard of a Dexa scan before, but that sounds interesting. Eyeballing I figure I'm like 15% but I have never done anything official.

@biophase You mountain bike, I can't believe you lost muscle in your legs. I have a buddy who got into competitive mountain biking and his legs got very muscular. I'm still waiting for that to happen to me haha. I find I don't work out my lower body in the summer as my legs are always blasted from biking, and if I do any workouts I can't bike as hard, during summer I don't want to stop biking for anything if I can help it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

View attachment 45398
Thanks man I’ll check it out.

This really shows that muscle loss is a real risk to consider when cutting weight. I like being very strong, but my endurance sucks. I want to build endurance, lose weight and keep my strength and muscle. Probably a tall order.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

View attachment 45398

Mountain biking is a lot of endurance / cardio based exercise, so it's going to burn muscle.

If you want to maintain / add muscle, the only way is with resistance exercises. Squats, kettlebells, barbells. You don't have to push yourself to breaking point each time.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia

MitchC

Legendary Contributor