The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
And that's *really* the important bit. Knowledge. Learning how to make money and learning how to keep it are equally important. It's much easier to become wealthy by not handing over a big chunk of income to the government.

Whenever I ask someone who complains about high taxes: "How much time have you spent learning how to reduce taxes?", it's always dead silence. I'm only familiar with minimizing US taxes, but am reasonably sure from talking with other Canadian entrepreneurs that there's numerous ways to accomplish the same thing. Earning money as a salaried employee (W2 income) is the worst possible approach when it comes to taxation.

One of my good friends banked $1M in salaried compensation last year. Only W2 person I know making that much. He'll pay 45% - 55% in overall taxes. Maybe a bit more. He's one of the smartest people I know, but an idiot when it comes to keeping his money out of the government's hands. He relies on advice from W2 earning tax planners who are also idiots.

Another friend is a real estate investor with far more than $1M in equity. None of which is taxable until the properties are sold. He can borrow against the equity and pay 0% taxes on the cash taken out because it's not considered income. It's a loan. There's depreciation to offset positive cashflow (earnings) from other investments. There's tax free 1031 Exchanges into larger investment properties. And so on.

Most CPAs know little that's really helpful. Search Amazon for "tax loopholes" and go from there.
Hi Chris,
you are right, it's a similar process here in Australia. I reckon keep residential investment properties at about 25% equity, 75% loan, do the math to make sure your rental income covers the interest and expenses, and refinance to the same level about every 7-10 years depending on the market forces.
Equity released as a loan/debt, no taxes!
Set it all up in a proper entity and it passes to your kids easily when you go. NEVER pay off the loans. The banks will love you.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I like year round Christmas lights. Every time I drive at night and I see them they make me happy. I wish more people put and left lights up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
I like year round Christmas lights. Every time I drive at night and I see them they make me happy. I wish more people put and left lights up.
But then you’d call them just lights… ;)

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
But then you’d call them just lights… ;)
I like year round lights up on the eavestrough of houses! It brings a nice cheer and happyness to the streets.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
There are two types of people in this world:

1. People who “get” Labor Day off.

2. People who *decide* to take it off.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
"Government is the only institution that can take a valuable commodity like paper, and make it worthless by applying ink." — Ludwig von Mises

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018

I wonder what’s next? Meeting real people, in real life, at a bar? Preposterous! :)

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I wonder what’s next? Meeting real people, in real life, at a bar? Preposterous! :)

I'm not a bar person anymore but randomly was dragged last week to a craphole dive bar at 10 am on a Wednesday morning and met like 15 opposite people, played some pool, had a blast, it was quite the experience I can maybe do once a year.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just watched the Elvis movie. These shows break my heart every time. Everytime there is a star is seems there are leaches just waiting to suck them dry. Much like when you hear about realtives that no one even knows about calling you up if they discover you won the lottery.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I just watched the Elvis movie. These shows break my heart every time. Everytime there is a star is seems there are leaches just waiting to suck them dry. Much like when you hear about realtives that no one even knows about calling you up if they discover you won the lottery.
It amazes how many there seem to be in everyday life, you don't even need to be rich or famous, they'll do it for $100

People stealing from their grandparents and stuff like that

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
There are three types of people in this world:

1. People who “get” Labor Day off.

2. People who *decide* to take it off.

3. People who don't live in the US and don't know when Labor Day is.

(Oh, and people who make sarcastic "ftfy" posts and forget that they can't be deleted when they think better of them)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
3. People who don't live in the US and don't know when Labor Day is.

(Oh, and people who make sarcastic "ftfy" posts and forget that they can't be deleted when they think better of them)

“What what is a weekend?” :rofl: Now that’s real old money wealth!

View: https://youtu.be/4KBAXMpklDU

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am sure this is how these heroes built up their bodies. Food like this!View attachment 45060

Similar to how the best athletes seem to always be drinking the cheap beer, and after a workout.

And then my favorite: If you want to be happy, smiling, and do a lot of nature-inspired activities like kayaking and hiking, start taking pharmaceutical medications, the kind with 3 minutes of orated side-effects.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Lots of know-it-all writers claim that you can just "remove" your difficult customers and grow your biz, easy peasy.

But a lot of times, it's not a simple 80/20 situation. Sometimes your most difficult customers are also the ones that are making you the most money.

It's easy to talk; it's hard to do.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
Lots of know-it-all writers claim that you can just "remove" your difficult customers and grow your biz, easy peasy.

But a lot of times, it's not a simple 80/20 situation. Sometimes your most difficult customers are also the ones that are making you the most money.

It's easy to talk; it's hard to do.
No, I disagree. Difficult customers by definition are difficult (typically take up more time, whine about price and reduce your profit margins, never satisfied with anything, in general they make your life shittier). Early on, few can afford to “fire” them. But as business evolves, the job is to triangulate between best customers and your products.

That’s the path. It works. And as you free up your company time, you’ll be able to spend that time serving the best customers even better. Making them even happier. Increasing your profit margins.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
I’m at the airport waiting for my flight. The plane is full. Boarding is based on zones per ticket. Why do people in economy class line up before business and stand there for 40 minutes? I don’t get it. Huge lineup and once a few do it, the rest like sheep just follow. :rolleyes:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No, I disagree. Difficult customers by definition are difficult (typically take up more time, whine about price and reduce your profit margins, never satisfied with anything, in general they make your life shittier). Early on, few can afford to “fire” them. But as business evolves, the job is to triangulate between best customers and your products.

That’s the path. It works. And as you free up your company time, you’ll be able to spend that time serving the best customers even better. Making them even happier. Increasing your profit margins.
60+ years in, and this is not true.

Exxonmobil is a very difficult customer.

The US Government is a very difficult customer.

We are not firing them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.