wanttogofaster
Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I've concluded that I'm NOT a car guy.I have been researching reliable vehicles for a while now. I need a family hauler. Everything is crap that is designed to break down after 3 years.
I wonder if anyone has done the math on the life-time costs of these measures taken in the name of fuel economy. Ultra-high compression turbo engines, 10 speed autos, auto-engine shut off at lights... surely the cost of your crap breaking after a few years outweighs saving half a dollar at the pumps every time you fill up.
I settled on a 2013 MDX. A 2014/2015 would have been nice as well. In 2016 they went to those atrocious 9/10 speed autos that fall apart and run like crap. I don't want to touch anything that has one of those in it. Why is it so hard to find a standard, or a 6-speed? It is all engineered to break now.
I am going to take care of this thing, and it can be used by my kids in 10 years to use as their own vehicle.
Yes, I like seeing nice cars on the road, but every time I've bought a new car, the novelty wears off within a week or less. Plus, I hate the extra stress of scratching it, kids getting the seats dirty, etc. I take good care of our vehicles, and we rarely have any problems with them.
Every time I think of getting a new car or truck, I think of many of those things you mention (turbocharged 4 cylinders, 10-speed or worse, CVT transmissions, everything controlled on the screen). Yes, repairs are expensive, and that's when the dealership can determine the problem; more often than not, they have no clue.
To be honest, as bad as it may sound, I've considered leasing, so the car or truck is under warranty the whole time we "own" it. Even then, you still have to waste time taking it in when things break.
More than owning/leasing, I'd enjoy going to some track where they're renting some nice cars for the day, and that's it. They don't have to be Ferraris or whatever. I'm fine with an M3 or similar
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?




