• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

OFF-TOPIC Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by MJ DeMarco, Oct 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,535
    The trailer alone is striking, see the emotions on the face of the soldiers who are just coming out of the trenches. Not a single Hollywood movie can come that close. It was beyond horror.

The podcasts of Dan Carlin give a very good impression about how it was. He's a great narrator too.

Here's part 1 (total 6 parts of each ~4 hours, but worth every second):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMT_BVBBsA

Hardcore History 50 – Blueprint for Armageddon I

2. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,535
    That wasn't the point, because groupthinking isn't something bad. Just an advantage if you understand this phenomena in the modern world. Humans are probably biologically not able to not groupthink.

amp0193, sparechange and jon.M like this.
  3. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,805
    MJ DeMarco said:
    The larger question is, what is that "imaginary bond" that bonds them? Race/Religion/Creed is vermin? Rich people are evil? Peace, not war? This feature also leads to groupthink.

I would think its related to people finding something in common about themselves with another person.

Pretend you meet someone that grew up in the same hometown as you, boom you have a ''connection'' with that person, in generally people bond better imo when they have similarities.

Heres a simple example, ya meet a guy at a bar that mentioned he owns a business, wow! Hey me to! Ever hear about TMF?

Scenario 2, you hear a person complaining about they're job & you are a business owner, you have 0 connection to this person and carry on drinking your beer watching the game while ignoring them.

ZF Lee likes this.
  4. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,791
    This book was worldview altering for me.

I went from blindly accepting the religion I was raised in, to now stepping outside of it, looking at it objectively for what it is.

Not good or bad. It just exists, and this is it's purpose, and here's how I will and won't allow it to fit into my life.

And not just religion... but all of the invisible, imaginary forces that exist, only because a group of people think they exist.

Tommo, ZF Lee and Longinus like this.
  5. Longinus

Rep Bank:
    $14,535
    That's better explained than me, thanks.

What also was worldview altering is that "religions" don't have to be like christianity/islam/judaism/... but most state systems work as religions as well. Communism is some kind of religion with their own gods and saints (Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao), rituals, preachers and beliefs. The same can be said about capitalism, nationalism, but even nowadays worship of instagram influencers, etc.

The model of a religion is very universal.

6. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $3,805
    With religion like amp said , he blindly accepted it, think about that! It’s more of where your brought up, have ya ever seen a white Sikh or Muslim? I’m in Canada the most diverse place in the world and have never seen it!

ZF Lee and Longinus like this.
  7. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,791
    It's also allowed me to see deeper into people's behaviors.

A lot of what people do is evolutionary/biological, acting on very primal urges, dating back a million years.

Understanding this, it's much harder to judge the actions of others.

8. Roz

Roz Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $484
    Hey @MJ DeMarco , have you ever thought about starting a podcast?

UnrealCreative and Bearcorp like this.
  9. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $358,055
    Ninjakid, Get Right and sparechange like this.
  10. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $3,805
    I don't follow football at all but know of Michael Vick, not sure how he can goto prison and get back in the game after his case of dog fighting, he should be shot

Ninjakid likes this.
  11. Bearcorp

Bearcorp Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,466
    XFL have announced the first 8 cities to have teams and could possibly have a TV deal with NBC, will be interesting to see if Vince McMahon gets traction with the league this time around, there's been enough scandals with NFL lately that the doors open for them.

12. Tammyanne

Tammyanne Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $179
    I
    would imagine you are no longer in Hawaii....am I correct? Did you go to Eldorado NM, it is 30 min drive from Santa Fe...and I believe beautiful in winter :) long open roads...

MTF likes this.
  13. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,876
  14. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $358,055
    Admin Post
    Yes, but it's not something that really interests me.

If I went that direction, it would be for Insiders only.

15. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $295
    When I click on "Thread tools" in a thread, I get the option to promote it. What is that?

amp0193 likes this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $358,055
    Admin Post
    That's actually a feature that allows INSIDERS to promote a thread to the front page in its own block.

However I do not have the block active. In fact, I don't think it even works because the plugin developer abandoned it. But now that you mention it, I'm going to try it today and verify for sure if it works, or doesn't.

17. cy-

cy- Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $794
    On the topic of visiting America, I just came home from a week in New York - and its my second time there and third time in the US.

I share a lot of the experiences mentioned in some of the previous posts, among those are the fact that Americans (at least in NYC) are very kind and friendly.

Mind you, this is basically in the middle of the Christmas rush, streets etc. were even more full of people than the last time I was in NY. Despite that people still hold the door enough for you to grab it and get in the store, they are polite if they walk into you or if you walk in to them - they are friendly and just all around nice people even in this stressful environment.

To compare, in Denmark where I am from, people are definitely not polite in public and certainly not in this Christmas rush. People will try to skip the queue in the store, push before you in the elevator or entrance, walk into you and just keep on moving. Same goes for stores/restaurants, its all high school girls who hate their job and will express their dissatisfaction if you ask them to clean the table before food is served. This is even in some of the more high end restaurants.. Its pathetic - we could learn a thing or two here for sure.

The irony though, is that Americans are often portrayed as arrogant assholes, who could not give less sh*t about any other person than themselves - at least thats how the media here portray Americans more often than not.

I understand you have a different work culture, where you, to a European/dane, can seem more "self-centered" than we might do, but US is also a tougher country to be working in. (More hours, less salary, less benefits etc.)

All around good experience though, I'm heavily considering moving to NYC, only thing holding me back is 'value for money' in terms of an apartment.

Also the food - I would have no idea how to eat healthy in NY. I was in Wholefoods a few times, which is supposed to be a healthy store (my impression), but all of the juices, yoghurts etc. are with such a high amount of sugar, I was quite surprised I couldn't find 1 f*cking yoghurt among 20+ with no or a low amount of sugar. The hell!?

--

Despite a few cons I am planning more trips to the US, so if any of you have suggestions as to where to go - be it small cities or big cities - then I would love to hear about it!

amp0193, Kid and SMH like this.
  18. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $358,055
    Admin Post
    This is because America (for the most part) is a capitalist society where competition still is respected.

If you don't perform to expectations, you lose your job and someone will be standing in line to replace you.

We have high expectations when we pay for something because the free market demands it, and if it doesn't happen, that business ultimately disappears.

So I figured this out, it's another TAB I can add to the forum list on the front page.

It does work, but I feel it is somewhat redundant. Gold and NOTABLE are promoted threads in my book. And once something is promoted, it stays promoted unless someone manually removes it. Doesn't seem to be a feasible complement to the board.

FinTech, ZF Lee, SMH and 1 other person like this.
  19. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $10,954
    I never realized this until I stepped into a drastically different culture for the first time. I remember pulling out of the airport in Bangkok, and seeing the the giant gold idols of half animals, etc and thinking "how ridiculous" It was basically surreal. 3 weeks later I was back in the USA, coming home from the airport, and, driving past the football stadium I saw the multiple-story high posters of football players outside. That's when I thought - "damn, at least the guys they worship have supernatural powers"

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Tommo, Roz, theresgot2bemore and 5 others like this.
  20. Longinus

Rep Bank:
    $14,535
    They showed this docu on BBC, you can watch some parts on youtube, like this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUReYO2n06w

I watched most of it and it gave me a new view on the whole Great War. The documentary doesn't mention places, names, dates, etc because they wanted to focus solely on the experience of the soldiers during the war.

GSF likes this.
  21. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $71,598
    Started this thread: OFF-TOPIC - What Countries and Places Offer the Best Life Quality?

splok likes this.
  22. Kristie

Kristie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    I really hate that my niece was so heart-broken after her basketball game today. She is a great athlete, but the coach seems to only put her in for the time required because she said she needs to build confidence. How can she do that if she doesn't put her in enough? Why does society never seem to put the kids first, but winning? It just irks me! When she did play, I believe she was so nervous because she saw I was there and this is the first time I have been able to come to one of her games because I live a lot closer now (yeah! self-employment!). But I am disappointed because of her luck and because of the coach. Poor girl made some mistakes and lost the ball three times. I was never the type of person to get all vocal and backseat drive the players, so maybe it is just me. In a nutshell, I think the coach should be more creative and figure out how to help my niece gain more confidence, because the team is likely missing out on a lot of points and in my opinion coaches and teachers are mentors or should be at this level of school. I swear I don't just say all this because she is my niece. She is very good at all sports and puts my nephews to shame. I hate to see any child or teenager in a situation like this. It can really lead to long-term issues. : (

23. socaldude

socaldude Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,350
    Are randomness and causation incompatible?

Statistics implies randomness exists.

But causation requires that same cause to determine this or that effect meaning there is no randomness.

Is it because we humans are not good at identifying causes so we then label them as random? Are we intellectually arrogant so when we don't know the cause of something we resort to saying "Oh well it's random"?

SMH and ZF Lee like this.
  24. Kristie

Kristie New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    Ahahaha! Deep...very deep.

25. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $358,055
    Admin Post
    What age are we talking about here?

A 6 year old BB game? 10? Or a teenager in high school?

Ninjakid likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.