The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

R.I.P., Biz 2.0

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
Time Inc. to Close Business 2.0

The latest dot-com casualty comes from the newsstand, not the Internet.
Business 2.0, a monthly magazine about the new economy, will be shut down rather than sold, its owners at Time Inc. have decided. The publication, which has been suffering from a decline in advertising revenue, will cease publication after its October issue, which will have a cover article on where to invest in a real estate downturn.
According to people familiar with Time Inc.’s handling of the matter, Time turned down offers from Mansueto Ventures, owners of the rival magazine Fast Company, and other prospective buyers to acquire the Business 2.0 brand and its circulation list of 600,000 subscribers.
Instead, Time Inc. will reassign the editor of Business 2.0, Joshua Quittner, and nine other editorial staff members to Fortune magazine, where they will help with Fortune’s technology coverage, conference business and Web site.
“I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to being heartbroken,” said Mr. Quittner, who steered the magazine for five and a half years. “That said, we had a terrific team here and learned a lot. A bunch of us are going on to Fortune, where we’ll have an even bigger platform to carry on the good fight.”
Today, human resources personnel and other executives from Time Inc. will visit the magazine’s San Francisco headquarters to formally close its operations, employees there have been told.
The developments mark the final chapter in the decade-long life of the Business 2.0 brand. The first magazine to be called Business 2.0, a biweekly, made its debut in 1998 and was published by the Future Network, a British media company. Time Warner bought the magazine in 2001 for a reported $68 million and combined its operations with its own fledgling business magazine, eCompany Now.
The new Business 2.0 came close to breaking even in 2005, but spiraled back into the red this year after the number of advertising pages plunged nearly 40 percent through July, according to the Magazine Publishers of America.
A report in The New York Times in July that Time Inc. executives were considering closing the magazine mobilized some support among readers, who started a group on the social networking Web site Facebook. Time Inc. then agreed to consider acquisition offers, but ultimately decided that Business 2.0’s resources were best added into Fortune. A Time Inc. spokeswoman declined to comment.
A benefit of the magazine’s recent purgatory is that most of its laid-off employees now have other jobs lined up. “One good thing having our carcass dragged through the streets for the last month is that it gave everyone ample time to find something,” said one employee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/business/media/05mag.htm

Too bad, I actually enjoyed this magazine. Some issues were not great but from time to time they ran some very interesting pieces.

Edit: Not sure if this should have been posted here or under "Fastlane Business News". Please change if necessary, thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
I got a subscription renewal letter from them last month. Glad I didn't send it in.

Sad they couldn't make it. It was a pretty good read.

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
That sucks - I like the mag...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
Yesterday, I got another renewal letter from them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.