The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit Asking for Advice If You Ain't Doing Shit With It

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I had someone tell me that before. When I first emailed him I was just another person wanting to make millions doing the same thing. I took all his advise and put it to use, emailed him back multiple times. Then one night we were going back and forth on FB chat talking about business and everything. At the end of it I think I surprised him in showing I do actually know a little about what I am talking about (more that others but still lots to learn).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Socal,

asking somebody for advice is a form of determination. You might decide you don't know it all, and you might realise you do need some feedback on your path. You talk about Warren Buffet not asking for investment advice, but you are wrong. In several interviews Buffets mentions one of his most important mentors: Ben Graham. He might not ask for advice any longer, but he sure did starting out. He also started reading about investing at a very young age. Reading is a form of getting advice too.

You can ask somebody the right direction, because chances are what you are trying to accomplish, is already done. It's probably done a lot. You have to make your own decisions, build your own life and do the things that needs to be done. You can try to reinvent the wheel, or you can learn from other peoples expierences.

There is a difference between the people that want to be spoonfed and the people that are on their path seeking advice to get to their goals. It's for them to show they are the real deal.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Socal,

asking somebody for advice is a form of determination. You might decide you don't know it all, and you might realise you do need some feedback on your path. You talk about Warren Buffet not asking for investment advice, but you are wrong. In several interviews Buffets mentions one of his most important mentors: Ben Graham. He might not ask for advice any longer, but he sure did starting out. He also started reading about investing at a very young age. Reading is a form of getting advice too.

You can ask somebody the right direction, because chances are what you are trying to accomplish, is already done. It's probably done a lot. You have to make your own decisions, build your own life and do the things that needs to be done. You can try to reinvent the wheel, or you can learn from other peoples expierences.

There is a difference between the people that want to be spoonfed and the people that are on their path seeking advice to get to their goals. It's for them to show they are the real deal.

I didn't say that asking for advice is wrong. I said you should only do that if you did YOUR best. I'm talking about developing a mind set of self determination that is needed to build something that most people don't build.

somebody who emails mj asking "how do i file an lcc paperwork" or "is this fastlane" is NOT doing their best.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York

I never actually thought of emailing MJ directly other than to maybe say I love the book. But I just figured he would have so many emails he would either never see it or not reply.

But one thing I knew was that he could not make me rich by my emailing him. He can't make my life decisions for me. Life is never that easy or we would all be rich. So I joined the forum and started looking here for advice and what and how people are doing. The Progress Threads are great! Those are more helpful than you think for people who are looking to do their own thing.

It's not too hard to form an LLC. You can talk to a lawyer or use a website like LegalZoom if you want. All depends what you are looking to do. When I created mine for the business I have, I used a lawyer. But I didn't know of any other way to do it back then.

But as we all know...Only YOU can make things happen for yourself!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Old thread bump, content still holds true...

stefan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 29, 2013
Dallas, TX
I think its really hard because like me I need guidance but a quick e-mail or hours/days on google will just not help.
There is only one of you MJ and loads of people needing guidance but you need to live your life. Slowlaners like me are so used to there lives how they are we need a kick up the arse we are not used to the life I can see why your frustrated but also see why we are the way we are so its a bad circle. I refuse to e-mail anyone begging for a quick fix because I know I need to find my own path and I am impatient as I have been wanting for nearly a year to find something to get stuck into and made wordpress sites using pat flynn methods which from I learned a lot and am now studying app programming with Xcode but with a little doubt as so much competition and I know for certain what I am doing and thinking probably thousands more are. We are living in a world where everybody wants now and they even teach entrepreneurship at my local college but I know its a gimmick course that will not lead me to where I want to go.

Just know that everyone is in the chase for resources! I take entrepreneurship courses at a respectable university program but it's not nearly as good as just building your own business.

Building ANYTHING that has a shot of profitability is better than just taking classes IMO

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I have not found this thread before and found if very interesting.
It is a shame that so many people send email, PM without really thinking about what this implies in terms of involvement in case of receiving an answer because the few people that really would do somehting out of the advice they are asking for are lost in the middle of all the others.

bartzawada

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jul 20, 2015
Poland
Now this is a quality bump. Not like the relationship trash that was bumped yesterday.

+1. Thanks for a bump. Tons of hidden gold out there. Reading at least 2 hours every day and still finding things like this thread. That's why I think asking "Where can I find a mentor?" is a bit silly when you can find them on this very forum. Read and learn before you start asking.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Thanks for the bump.

Reminded me of some unused advice from a month ago that I need to put into action.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Unfortunately, it is fundamentally impossible once you reach a certain volume.

If you have 100 emails asking you for advice and it takes you 10 minutes to provide it, you'll need to allocate 2 days just to follow-up. And after you spend those 2 days answering? Bam. There's another 100 for you to answer.

hmmm now how could you monetize that email list ;)

Maybe you and I form a partnership. You forward me these 100 emails a day and I give you a cut of the profits?

EIDT I was joking above but thought about it a little more Seriously I am not sure where they are getting your email addy from by why not put in an auto responder to a sign up for a newsletter.

Gather the emails and convert them into something for profit. Such as your book, a follow up video etc.

There seems to be a need, you have control over the market as they are coming to YOU, you have info they desire. Seems like the start of something possibly.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I agreed with everything until you said this:

This why warren buffett and steve jobs are rich. Warren doesn't ask for investment advice from other investors because he self thinks. Jobs doesn't do that either because he THINKS DIFFERENT.

My point is that Buffet did ask for advice and he used that advice.

Thinking on your own might be pretty dumb if you got it all wrong :)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
My point is that Buffet did ask for advice and he used that advice.

Thinking on your own might be pretty dumb if you got it all wrong

Your saying X=mentorship/guidance/influence, so in that case X=Success.

I agree every successful person has had somebody influential in their success, a mentor, a self help author you name it.

But i'm saying thats just one of MANY variables. And one of the other VERY important variables is being able to act/think on your own initiative. I'm saying success is X+V+Y+G+J+K=Success.

Somebody who comes on this forum asking for advice that can be known by just reading a book or a simple google search or by just thinking is obviously not fit for the Fastlane.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Mike... awesome post. Shows that you are headed towards the Fastlane. Speed+

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Agreed.

And what do you think the Buffet's advice inquiry sounded like?

Something general like, "How do I invest?" (Read: Is this Fastlane? How do I find ideas? How do I learn computers?)

or something a little more specific, indicative of his ability to gather preliminary knowledge and do a little due diligence?

Example...

How do I invest in stock options? (Translation: "Give me A+B+C = I want to be rich")

VS

How does the risk profile change of a high-gamma option as it nears expiration? Does volatility come into play? How much risk is there in my portfolio being -300 delta and what's the best way to neutralize it?? (Translation: "I've started my knowledge journey... but confused on this...")

Like I said on page 1, maybe you missed that: It's very important that you ask the right questions.

Your saying X=mentorship/guidance/influence, so in that case X=Success.

No. I m not saying that.

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
I think its really hard because like me I need guidance but a quick e-mail or hours/days on google will just not help.
There is only one of you MJ and loads of people needing guidance but you need to live your life. Slowlaners like me are so used to there lives how they are we need a kick up the arse we are not used to the life I can see why your frustrated but also see why we are the way we are so its a bad circle. I refuse to e-mail anyone begging for a quick fix because I know I need to find my own path and I am impatient as I have been wanting for nearly a year to find something to get stuck into and made wordpress sites using pat flynn methods which from I learned a lot and am now studying app programming with Xcode but with a little doubt as so much competition and I know for certain what I am doing and thinking probably thousands more are. We are living in a world where everybody wants now and they even teach entrepreneurship at my local college but I know its a gimmick course that will not lead me to where I want to go.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ

Then you're lazy.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Procastinaton kills off most peoples genuine ambitions. These can be labeled under many headings some of which have been mentioned here already. Perhaps if and when the proper mindset is achieved such personal input gains monetary value....IMO the forum best facilitates any questions , queries , or advice

NewJamesBond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Nov 29, 2015
Bump. Classic.

I love that you bumped the thread. And then bumped it again!

I feel like most people (at least myself) know what to do and are to scared to just do it... This advice is stellar! I love that blog you linked to as well. Awesome post!

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
It's always better to reach the point where you can ask the right questions.

I've personally never really felt the need to have a mentor, because I will spend the time digging through posts and threads to try and find what I want. Majority of the times I do find it.

It's the information age man google, youtube, udemy, quorra , TFLF it's endless.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.