The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question to MJ & Others Please Help

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Hi guys, this is Dilshad I am back its been more then a month since I been on this forum I believe.... I did read the book and after reading it I decided to make my move. Now I was as in MJ's book it said "Process which leads to event" What if this process has obstacles? Here is what I had in mind:

-There is a land which I want to purchase (its all greeny grass land been there for many years) which can fulfill a need, but this need is blocked by a Parking Authority! Meaning what if a County/State/Law of a state rejects to sell land, even if that land seems that it can fulfill a need?????

- If I want to get into the Commercial property business (land to be specific), how can one person go through this process in smooth way, when there are several hurdles/obstacles which block a person from going into the fastlane?

This past month I was going to my religious temple, and when I walked in there was a big sign which read: "Adjacent Parking SOLD SOLD SOLD for more then $1 million!!!!......... My temple area had less parking so there was a NEED to fulfill that requirement......

but if a county or other regulations come in and block your efforts, then what is someone suppose to do in this case???? I mean the people from the temple they have their land, so why cant I purchase a land which is only 1 minute away from this temple? Any advice, inputs, would be great! Since after reading the book and getting the idea what MJ really meant and he is 100% CORRECT, just problem is how do you face these obstacles?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Overcoming the obstacles is part of the process and is more about you and your abilities than the obstacle.

You may have to work with local government officials. Learn the prcess.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
In a situation like this it seems you need more information so I would get with the local government authority and find out what hurdles you need to jump through.

There can be many explanations for the religious entity getting the land they want and why you did not. Based on what you have said, the fact that they already own the adjacent property will carry a lot of weight. I am in Michigan and a friend just purchased a piece of land for cheaper than what the city was asking for it... so it is a fact, that does have some bearing. Look at zoning also and when it comes right down to it, you may need to get an attorney or realtor to help you walk this path.

Anyway, don't give up. It is possible to get the land, you will just have to keep at it.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the response, but the thing is I have already spoken with a real estate attorney. He says if the Parking Authority(County) declines to sell the land, then it is their choice.....so this kind of a process seems impossible to accomplish? Since what he's saying is that even if a need is required there, it is their own choice to sell or not to sell.... but then my other question relating to this is...

How can within the same jurisdiction someone can buy another land which is one minute away from the land which I want? It doesn't make sense, is it only because the person/ or person(s) wanted to make a religious temple that is why a County allows them to take land?

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks, though I am still figuring out what I can do to complete the process since its blocked by regulations,county,state...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
You keep offering roadblocks. Open your eyes and ears.

Meet with each boardmember. Make your proposal and find out individual objections.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Also, meet with mayor, city councilmen, planning and zoning commission, and economic development commission. Talk to your banker or a local real estate agent. You have to sell your vision to them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why are you asking me? I have no experience in commercial real estate, nor any desire.

how can one person go through this process in smooth way,

LOL. There is no smooth way which is why most people aren't successful.

success.jpg

The line is the process. You are looking for a straight-line when in reality, there's no such thing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some guru...

Except I don't claim any guru status ... more like a tough uncle who screams and yells "Get off your a$$ and do something!"

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
it is their choice.....it is their own choice to sell or not to sell....

You already know what it is that you have to do... You've stated the obstacle:

The county only sells when it wants to.

The way to solve your problem is to figure out what would make your county officials want to sell the land to YOU.

Some great solutions have already been suggested here, such as scheduling individual meetings with each decision-maker. Let them know how your plans will fulfill the communities needs (not just yours).

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks MJ for the response, but if I remember correctly....there was a youtube video where you were giving a example of the Phoenix Airport needing extra parking....did you have a similar obstacle before? Another interesting thing, why "no desire"?

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Hi, yes, I did ask them that I can set up a "community service" where they can take monthly payments, or have some favorable process for them as well, but no luck....

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
I've already spoken to them - they entirely put upon the decision of the Parking Authority because officially it is there land....otherwise I've attempted several ways to gain their attention but unsucessful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.