Hey all, I've had an idea for a website in my head for a while now and with summer break fast approaching and some cash in my pocket, I think it is time to take the idea that's in my head and see if it would even be feasible to produce. There is a SERIOUSLY awesome domain name that matches my site PERFECTLY and the current site with my prospect domain name has about 40 page views a day and has a copyright notice that reads 1998-2007 on it
. I can tell its seriously outdated and abandoned and am sure I could pick up the domain, that's not the problem. The real issue is that there is a very small scale music artist (signed to a small music label company) that has used the exact idea for my business name (not domain) as the name of one of his albums and I don't want to go through the hassle of haggling for a domain and buying one just to find out there is a copyright on the actual bushiness's name. What would be the cheapest way to check to see if the copyright is available? Should I contact a copyright attorney (or other attorney), should I try to contact the record label and artist independently, or should I do something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Note: the similarities between the name and the domain are as follows:
Domain Name: exampleexample.com
Business Name: ex(ampleex)ample.com
The only difference is the parenthesis which obviously I cant use in the domain but really makes the brand pop.
Thanks,
Mike
Note: the similarities between the name and the domain are as follows:
Domain Name: exampleexample.com
Business Name: ex(ampleex)ample.com
The only difference is the parenthesis which obviously I cant use in the domain but really makes the brand pop.
Thanks,
Mike
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
