The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quality Advice for the youngster

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

David J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, I'm just about to finish The Millionaire Fastlane and can honestly say I'm stoked about the whole thing. The only thoughts that have been running through my head are about new Fastlane ideas and my girlfriend haha. Now while the book is truly amazing and enlightening, I came looking for some thorough experienced advice. You see, I'm only 18 years old and of course gawking at the idea of making millions. My problem is that I'm not sure whether I should fully indulge myself now or not. Now my end goal is to make at least 5 million before I reach my 30's for sure. The sooner the better though. Anyways, back to my problem, I'm having trouble deciding what to do about college. My college is paid for four years and I'm going to attend one of the best engineering colleges in the country and plan on majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Now while this job will make more than the average and is well paid, I know it won't allow me to retire very early or pursue some of my "youngster" adventures like fast cars and vacations to bora bora. So, I'm truly excited and I know there will be challenges. I just have no idea where to start. Also, do I start now? Or do what most slowlaners are known for and put it off for a better time? Thank you everybody! Have a good day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
I would start while in college, go to every entrepreneur meetup in your area possible, find like minded friends, build good connections and start making mistakes now especially while your living expenses are being paid for and you don't have to worry about how you're going to pay for rent.

If college is taking up too much of your time to start working on your business then your job is going to take up too much time to work on your business in the future. The perfect timing doesn't exist you're always going to have other things to do, you just need to learn to manage your time well.

Your college life might be less fun but that's one of the sacrifices you have to make, decide what's more important to you now.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Hey man,

I'm 20 y/o and before I say anything else, just know that within two years you can learn, grow, and do a lot ... so don't waste your time. I say that because if I were 18 y/o again, and I knew what I know now, I'd be much more ahead. So do work, value your time.

So I'm just going to imagine I could go back at 18 y/o and tell you what I would do and focus on in a simple and fast manner.

Skill To Develop (I mentioned this earlier on the forum, most books I've read never mentioned specific skills, shame.):

1. Direct-Response Marketing and Direct-Response Copywriting (You basically need to learn how to sell effectively, so sales too of course).

2. Time-Management aka Self-Management (You can't actually manage or control time, buy you can manage and control yourself. Do so efficiently and effectively AND on the right things.)

EDIT (Forgot the link) Bonus: I posted about skills before on this thread ... I didn't even see that I got a reply until now ... but I have no time to reply to it and the 21 other alerts I see on my dashboard. Here is the link and here are the skills mentioned (there is a video there too): https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...uccess-in-business-are-you-missing-out.51597/

1. Your Language

2. Communication

3. Marketing

4. Sales

5. Public Speaking

Also, simply put ... you need to get your HABITS right, MINDSET/EMOTIONS right, and it's also been said that you need to get your CHARACTER right and I agree with that.

Also, in the book "The Education of Millionaires" The summarized advice is to learn the skills of sales, marketing (direct response marketing/copywriting) and to build your network.

I posted this video on a thread I started about college. It was great advice for me, maybe it will be for you too.

Also, RSD (Real Social Dynamics) started a motivational channel a while back and I put ALL of their videos in MP3 format in my iPod and listened to them over, and over, and over again. My brain is F*cking positively re-programmed again man. Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RSDMotivation/videos

PS: I'm in a similar position with college as you. I went to college, took a break, and now I am finishing up my first semester back. I'm going to get my degree(s), enjoy college, network, and build and learn on my own while I am there. I declare my majors soon ... I thought about engineering but I'm doing Accounting for sure... then either Entrepreneurship (Hahaha), Marketing, or Business Law. Double major. Good luck man, do work!

PPS: I'm too focused right now so I won't be on the forum too much. Maybe even for the summer too because I'm going to work F*cking hard with that time, but I hope you get started. I'm telling you man, if I knew at 18 y/o what I know now, just way more ahead... you got a slice of knowledge right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Oh yeah, I posted this video here before too. Great stuff and believe it or not I watched it again just last night, hahaha.

If you never heard of RSD (Real Social Dynamics) before, it's a dating advice company but it's actually changing into a lifestyle advice company which includes entrepreneurship. There is a video with Tyler/Owen talking about it. Awesome company IMO for all of us young guys. Building up a generation of top notch guys.

EDIT: Here's the video with Owen/Tyler talking about the future of RSD. Emphasis on entrepreneurship = the complete package!

David J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 29, 2014
I would start while in college, go to every entrepreneur meetup in your area possible, find like minded friends, build good connections and start making mistakes now especially while your living expenses are being paid for and you don't have to worry about how you're going to pay for rent.

If college is taking up too much of your time to start working on your business then your job is going to take up too much time to work on your business in the future. The perfect timing doesn't exist you're always going to have other things to do, you just need to learn to manage your time well.

Your college life might be less fun but that's one of the sacrifices you have to make, decide what's more important to you now.
Thank you sir. I really appreciate that response and your time taken to lend it to me. I agree. The more and more I think about it, the more I know that it's now or never. I think one of the hardest parts about the Fastlane is knowing where to start. I want to just dive in but I know I don't have the knowledge needed for a business, number wise and paperwork wise. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure how to go about them. I'm sure everyone has had this problem that's wanted to try the Fastlane.

David J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 29, 2014
Hey man,

I'm 20 y/o and before I say anything else, just know that within two years you can learn, grow, and do a lot ... so don't waste your time. I say that because if I were 18 y/o again, and I knew what I know now, I'd be much more ahead. So do work, value your time.

So I'm just going to imagine I could go back at 18 y/o and tell you what I would do and focus on in a simple and fast manner.

Skill To Develop (I mentioned this earlier on the forum, most books I've read never mentioned specific skills, shame.):

1. Direct-Response Marketing and Direct-Response Copywriting (You basically need to learn how to sell effectively, so sales too of course).

2. Time-Management aka Self-Management (You can't actually manage or control time, buy you can manage and control yourself. Do so efficiently and effectively AND on the right things.)

EDIT (Forgot the link) Bonus: I posted about skills before on this thread ... I didn't even see that I got a reply until now ... but I have no time to reply to it and the 21 other alerts I see on my dashboard. Here is the link and here are the skills mentioned (there is a video there too): https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...uccess-in-business-are-you-missing-out.51597/

1. Your Language

2. Communication

3. Marketing

4. Sales

5. Public Speaking

Also, simply put ... you need to get your HABITS right, MINDSET/EMOTIONS right, and it's also been said that you need to get your CHARACTER right and I agree with that.

Also, in the book "The Education of Millionaires" The summarized advice is to learn the skills of sales, marketing (direct response marketing/copywriting) and to build your network.

I posted this video on a thread I started about college. It was great advice for me, maybe it will be for you too.

Also, RSD (Real Social Dynamics) started a motivational channel a while back and I put ALL of their videos in MP3 format in my iPod and listened to them over, and over, and over again. My brain is F*cking positively re-programmed again man. Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RSDMotivation/videos

PS: I'm in a similar position with college as you. I went to college, took a break, and now I am finishing up my first semester back. I'm going to get my degree(s), enjoy college, network, and build and learn on my own while I am there. I declare my majors soon ... I thought about engineering but I'm doing Accounting for sure... then either Entrepreneurship (Hahaha), Marketing, or Business Law. Double major. Good luck man, do work!

PPS: I'm too focused right now so I won't be on the forum too much. Maybe even for the summer too because I'm going to work F*cking hard with that time, but I hope you get started. I'm telling you man, if I knew at 18 y/o what I know now, just way more ahead... you got a slice of knowledge right there.
Thanks man. I know it'll be one tough adventure, but that's the best part. I think I first have to learn to shove my "want it easy" part out of the way. I still have the part of my mind telling me to find the easy way but I know that won't work in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I started seriously thinking long term a few months ago. One of the real triggers was that I read or watched something about Jeff Bezos (Founder & CEO of Amazon) and how he spent ~$42 million to build a giant 10,000 year clock to (I believe) symbolize his long term thinking. Life is short though so a sense of urgency is a must IMO, but 'get altitude' ... zoom out and envision the long term ... see the big picture. Do that for life overall.

I listened and watched to several interviews with Jordan Belfort (The 'Wolf of Wall Street'), and he said that one of his biggest mistakes was the addiction to immediate results. Something like that at least.

For almost everyone, life is pretty tough. There's ups and downs. I bet that for anyone who 'chooses them self', and wants to create something of their own (entrepreneurship) ... the valleys will be much lower, but the peaks will in turn be much, much higher too. I think in the end, the feeling of accomplishment and pride with who you become and what you've done will be what satisfies you the most. For anyone really.

PS:

This is how you can start but...

Maybe before you jump into working to get some money though, work on your habits and mindset. Then once you're good and ready to move on...

Email Marketing Software (Build An Email List. Place very high value on it, it's an asset.)

Market To Your Subscribers via Email (Use Your Copywriting Skills To Sell)

Via Paid Advertising (Facebook) and/or Organic Search, Drive Traffic To Your Capture Pages or Content Web Pages

The Fastlane calls for you having ownership, but to get started, there is always affiliate marketing. That's pretty much what I will be doing until I am ready to create my own offer(s).

Essentially you need Traffic > Leads > Sales

Copywriting (To be able to sell) and Facebook Advertising (To get people to sell to).

Tengen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I started seriously thinking long term a few months ago. One of the real triggers was that I read or watched something about Jeff Bezos (Founder & CEO of Amazon) and how he spent ~$42 million to build a giant 10,000 year clock to (I believe) symbolize his long term thinking. Life is short though so a sense of urgency is a must IMO, but 'get altitude' ... zoom out and envision the long term ... see the big picture. Do that for life overall.

I remember that article, saw it on Wired.

How to make a clock run for 10,000 years

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Hey man I'm 18 too. The only advice I have is to start taking action daily. Don't keep pushing it off because that's what I used to do. I always had the mindset that I'm young and can start working on a business later. Well later came and I havnt done anything. Since then I have decided to take some kind of action daily.

Also don't spend so much time thinking/researching. Just do it and learn from your mistakes as you go. This is the best way to learn.,

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
I find with the college question you have to firstly work out that if the course('s) you are wanting to take are going to help you reach a certain goal or dream, if not then you will be acquiring general knowledge. Unless you decide on a course that will better your fastlane opportunities or a business idea you have I would say learn by yourself what you need to learn. Also saying that you want money will only slow you down, believe me i've been there when I was 18 I was like I want to be a millionaire and now being 26, have found that because of this vague ambition I have been jumping around focusing on only that which will get me to that goal, e.g deadends. Take the advice from the book about filling a need and forgetting about your wants as this is what has driven me forward faster in the last 6 months and than the last 8 years.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
The best advise I can give you is to enjoy college years while observing opportunities, look up wealth dynamics to see how you personality best matches your potential wealth path and just enjoy life as you have time to build an empire before you current target. Learn, watch others and find your unique purpose.

Advise, I wish I had 40 years ago.

David J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 29, 2014
I appreciate all of the help guys. You've all made me think more into this than I was before. Also, I believe my engineering degree will help me in some way because one of my options would be to invent something mechanical. I've always wanted to do that, but I hve to find a very useful application. Also, maybe I can minor in business or at least take some business classes while I'm there. All of your advice is extremely helpful and thought provoking. Thank you.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I just have no idea where to start. Also, do I start now? Or do what most slowlaners are known for and put it off for a better time?

Hi David.

I would recommend a 'questions journal'. You get a note book and write one question a day. Since you are on a forum about making money and serving needs of society (through business) you may ask the following questions:

"What is an unmet need in society?"

"What frustrates people and how can I ease the frustration?"

"Is there an every day process that I can make easier through my knowledge of mechanics?"

Writing these questions down will have plenty of ideas flowing through your head. Answers to these questions will pop into your mind. There will also be other questions that you will think of (and can write down).

As an example. Think of a suitcase 10-15 years ago. It was a big and heavy bag that you had to carry around with great difficulty.

These days, every suitcase is rolled around because someone put wheels and an extended handle on it. Hardly revolutionary in a scientific sense, but saves a great deal of effort and frustration.

Good luck to you.

David J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 29, 2014
Hi David.

I would recommend a 'questions journal'. You get a note book and write one question a day. Since you are on a forum about making money and serving needs of society (through business) you may ask the following questions:

"What is an unmet need in society?"

"What frustrates people and how can I ease the frustration?"

"Is there an every day process that I can make easier through my knowledge of mechanics?"

Writing these questions down will have plenty of ideas flowing through your head. Answers to these questions will pop into your mind. There will also be other questions that you will think of (and can write down).

As an example. Think of a suitcase 10-15 years ago. It was a big and heavy bag that you had to carry around with great difficulty.

These days, every suitcase is rolled around because someone put wheels and an extended handle on it. Hardly revolutionary in a scientific sense, but saves a great deal of effort and frustration.

Good luck to you.
I was thinking of doing something along those lines but that's a great idea and a way to get me to make sure I stay committed by doing so every day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.