The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PSA: Reading TMFL or Unscripted does not mean that you can be a lazy idiot!

Anything related to matters of the mind

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
This thread is mostly directed at college kids here but also applies to others.

Time and time again we see this process on this forum:
  • Someone reads The Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted
  • Decide that they're "enlightened"
  • Drop out of school so they can "leave the rat race"
  • Do absolutely nothing since all along they were motivated not by ambition but laziness.
Let me make this point clear: Reading a book means absolutely nothing. If you're not willing to take action and make the sacrifices necessary to give yourself a better life, then it doesn't matter what kind of knowledge you have acquired.

You read a book? Great.

Are you now willing to take the necessary steps to make your life better? Are you willing to work for 5 years making $10,000 a year or less like @458? Are you willing to put up with a life that's 100x worse than "going to class" and "studying"?

If the answer is no, then you're not ready to take the leap. You're not ready to drop out of school, quit your job, move across country, or make any drastic life changing decisions.

Success doesn't come from a book. It comes from within. Ask yourself if you're making your decision based on ambition or based on you being lazy and hoping that there's an easy way out.

If you want to win, you will. If you don't, you won't.

Make sure to act out of ambition and not the hope that this is an easier path - because it's not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I am waiting for someone to come up with a participation trophy for Entrepreneurs.
Impossible....no such thing.
Employees also get paid for their work. What participation trophy there is?

• Do absolutely nothing since all along they were motivated not by ambition but laziness.
Let me make this point clear: Reading a book means absolutely nothing. If you're not willing to take action and make the sacrifices necessary to give yourself a better life, then it doesn't matter what kind of knowledge you have acquired.

You read a book? Great.

Are you now willing to take the necessary steps to make your life better? Are you willing to work for 5 years making $10,000 a year or less like @458? Are you willing to put up with a life that's 100x worse than "going to class" and "studying"?

If the answer is no, then you're not ready to take the leap. You're not ready to drop out of school, quit your job, move across country, or make any drastic life changing decisions.

Success doesn't come from a book. It comes from within. Ask yourself if you're making your decision based on ambition or based on you being lazy and hoping that there's an easy way out.

Make sure to act out of ambition and not the hope that this is an easier path - because it's not.
This is a verrrry late post.
Good call, though.

IMO, I saw university classes as worse than entrepreneurship. My last college classes were filled with lazy folks that never contributed to the class discussion at all. I had to struggle to accommodate team mates on assignments, and I couldn't fire or train them quickly like in business. At least, in business, you can choose your players.

People issues, I guess.

VIVEKSINGHJADONS

VSJ
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Sep 18, 2018
India
I really wish I could get all these books at the time when I was in college. I can save myself from wasting precious time acquiring useless degrees. It is absolutely right that most of the college kids find an escape route in books to save themselves from the hard work and finds an excuse to justify them in not doing anything.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I am waiting for someone to come up with a participation trophy for Entrepreneurs.

Impossible....no such thing.
Employees also get paid for their work. What participation trophy there is?

There's a bunch of participation trophies:
  • Getting to tell people you're "CEO"
  • Business cards with your made up title
  • A website with your goofy smile on it
  • An Instagram account that says you're a business owner
  • A company credit card with your company name on it that you get to use and tell people "I'll write it off on taxes"
There's a bunch.

On a bigger level there's universities and academic programs that give you a piece of paper for learning about entrepreneurship. I got one from Indiana University on a full ride. In an alternate reality, if I had to pay the $200,000 and 4 years to get it, I'd tell them to go fly a kite and spend that $200k on buying a random business.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Also to add, reading books doesn't make someone an authority on topics discussed in said books. Nothing beats real world experience.
If you can quote a line out of a book but you don't have a paying customer or an actual business, you're spending too much time in the wrong areas.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Getting to tell people you're "CEO"

THIS is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Every kid who has a startup calls themselves CEO...

But they’re a single member LLC..

I just put owner on my cards and emails.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
  • Getting to tell people you're "CEO"
  • Business cards with your made up title
  • A website with your goofy smile on it
  • An Instagram account that says you're a business owner
  • A company credit card with your company name on it that you get to use and tell people "I'll write it off on taxes"
There's a bunch.

On a bigger level there's universities and academic programs that give you a piece of paper for learning about entrepreneurship. I got one from Indiana University on a full ride. In an alternate reality, if I had to pay the $200,000 and 4 years to get it, I'd tell them to go fly a kite and spend that $200k on buying a random business.
I meet guys who join Amway that tell me this all the time

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

The MLM sheep that use the media logos in their pitch just because their company sent out a press release that hit the automated back pages of MSBC, CNN, and FOX.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

You read a book? Great.

participation.png

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA

As Gary Vaynerchuk says in this video: College is a f*cking vacation.

I'm in college right now and completely agree. Getting by in college is easier than high school because at least you don't have to spend 8 hours a day in class, rather you spend 3-4 hours.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.