The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Providing my country with food storage boxes

frenchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2012
Paris
Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about a business idea for now a couple of months, and I'm gonna start it when back in France (I'm in
Namibia now lol). I've been deeply thinking about this, and I really think there's a need today, In France, for that idea.
Here is the business I want to launch:

When I came for the first time in the USA (it was in Miami), every time I would go to the restaurant and I would leave some
food remains, the waiter/waitress would give me a box to keep my food and bring it home. This really caught my attention,
because I had never seen that before in France or anywhere else. I was with my girlfriend, who is french as well, and
neither had she seen that before. She found it great too: convenient, money saving and environment saving.

That's how came to me the idea of supllying all the restaurants in France (and Europe as well, why not) with food boxes.
That might sound stupid for you guys who come fom the US, but after all: if it's working for the American restaurants, why
shouldn't it work for the French ones (yeah I know we are specials, but that's not enough lol)?

Another point that makes me really want to lauch this business is that I have already worked for a restaurant in the past, as
a dishes cleaner (sorry, don't know the exact term). It was actually right after I came back from my US trip. I remember that
everyday I would see an aweful ammount of food going straight to the bin (and I can tell you this restaurant was serving
F*cking good food). At this time, I remember thinking: "why the hell don't we do like the americans? Just offer those people
a box and they will be happy to bring their food back home". However, I was not as much a business fan as i'm today, and I
didn't take actions to do it.

The thing in France is that, as the restaurants never offer boxes to take away your food with you, no one think about it
and everybody leaves the restaurant hands empty. And food goes to the bin (or to the dog mouth...). I'm pretty sure that
if there was a box already set on the table when the clients sit at their table, with a writing on it saying "put your food wastes in it and take it home" (for instance), a
couple of them would be happy. Moreover, in plenty of restaurant, the quantity of food they serve you is exeptionnaly big.
More than once have I felt "obliged" to finish my meal because I didn't want to waiste all this food. Never came to me
the idea of asking the waiter a box to store nor have I ever seen somebody else doin it, because it simply not in our
culture I guess. I guess there's a huge gap for it, because after all, American restaurants or French restaurants are exactly the same,
and we eat as much as you guys do.

So here is concretely my idea: I want to sell boxes to the restaurant all over France; as this is not in our culture to ask
for a box when leaving the restaurant, I was thinking about offering the restaurant owners to put the box directly on
the table, next to the plate, so that the customer can see the writing on the box saying "use that box to take away your food home".
I saw that in the US as well, the box was next to the plate, and I found it so much helpful as I didn't want t finish
my pizza (I eventually took it home, and found it so much helpful).
This way, the customer would feel free to take away his food with him. Otherwise, the idea of asking would never come up
to him.

Eventually, as well stated in the fastlane book (which is great by the way), I want to separate time from my business. But
here comes my question: how can I do that? How could set a business in this market where, after a couple of years, I could
make it run without too much effort? How can I affect all the restaurants in France without having to knock at the door of each of them?
I was thinking about building a website (I know how to code websites) but how could I make the restaurants to come see my
website and buy my boxes on it? That's really what matters now: what distribution system would be the most efficient one?
If you guys have an idea about that, i'd appreciate to read it.

My first step when I'm back in France will be to buy a couple of boxes (at the supermarket I guess) and put a writing on it
with a brand so that they look fashion, and try to sell them to a couple of local restaurants in Paris as a sample to see
if it works. If the result is good, i'll start to think big and start thinking how I can massively produce my boxes.

To come back to the 5 commandements of CENTS:

Need: there's a huge need for sure, people don't waiste food at home: they put the remains in boes that go in the fridge.
Why souldn't they do the same at restaurant (just like in the US)? Guys, I try to find a reason for that, but I don't se
anything else than: we haven't tried yet. I want solve the problem of food waistes, which is huge in France (i've seen that with my own two eyes).
There's a huge gap. I'll take advantage of it.

Entry: well, there's nobody else! I've also tried to type the keywords on google to look for restaurant packages, and i've
not even found a company that sells food boxes on it. I've tried all the words. Found nothing except huge boxes for massive
storage (fishes or stuff like that lol). We do have some fast food restaurants that use storage boxes, and those are the
turkish fast food restaurants mainly. But they basically use them to pack food to the customers, not to store food remains.

Control: Yep, i'll be the boss. I'll hav control over my business.

Scale: National. I won't do a high margin on every sold box, so that's why I want to serve millions. If I create a brand (and
god knows how a mere box can become a huge brand, with a fashion style and stuff like that on it. I can even put my website
on it). All the restaurants that serve food in France with tables. That is tens of millions of boxes to sell.

Time: Well, that was the question: how can I set a business system that eventually separates time from it? To be clear:
how can I massively sell my boxes and provide them to all the french restaurants in a couple of years?

This business sounds like there's a huge need that hasn't come up (and been fulfilled) yet.
If I offer people boxes right on their table, they might find it cost saving and environmental saving, and they might come
back to the restaurant where they found them. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

I would appreciate to have your opinions guys. Feel free to tell me what you think about this business.

Thanks a lot.
:smxB:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Try it with one restaurant first. The mentality of Europeans is different. Maybe there is just no demand.

frenchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2012
Paris
Yes, that's the plan. I'll make an experiment first to see if it works. I'll try to sell a couple of my boxes to sevreral restaurants (pizza, fast food, normal restaurant, ...) and see where it works out the best.

kirrubi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 26, 2011
California
mr frenchy it is a good idea but my point of view is all about culture in asia as far i know Taiwan, China and Thailand they do the same and before asking for the bill they ask for packing the uneaten food to take it home too you can do that in Brazil too.
there is a saying that Japan is like an a european country if you try to ask the waiter for packing the uneaten food he will give you a funny look and ask you what?
well in france there is Macdonalds right does the french put the uneaten food back in the boxes and take it home? i am not criticizing your idea just curious and maybe can help you because macdonalds packeging is pretty much the concept you are thinking about.

thank you

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
It's an added cost to restaurants but many of them should see it as a way to set themselves apart in taking care of the customer.

One way to turn the restaurants into your salespeople.....Offer a package where advertising is printed on the boxes. That could turn them into free or a profit center for the restaurant.

It is always interesting how one culture differs from others. Probably tons of opportunities to bring a standard product from one area into a new area.

More fastlane is securing a large deal from manufacturer and not target individual restaurants, but rather sell them to the distributors that deliver to restaurants. They have sales people and relationships already built.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Bro, never run an experiment on just one group.
You need at least 5-10 restaurants to achieve results that are viable.

frenchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2012
Paris
Okay guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. I've read some interesting stuff that I hadn't been thinking about before.

CommonCents, when you say put some adverts on the boxes, what kind of advert are you thinking about? Local adverts, like the
local car repairing facility? Local shops I've seen that before in restaurants, this kind of advert was displayed on the
table paper cover.

In France, we've got a huge supplier called "Metro" which provides almost all the restaurants with professional stuff,
like wholesale food, equipements for the tables and kitchen, and everything needed by the restaurants. How could I get
a deal with them? I thought it could be wiser to start spreading my boxes over a few restaurants first to see if the business
works, get some contracts and then at some stage, when the business model works, show up at Metro supplier to say:

"Hi guys, look i've got 30 restaurants in Paris that buy my boxes. Do you want to give it a try?"

But what I'm really interested in now, is how to start the business. I won't get any contract from the first national
supplier if I haven't prooved it can work before. The idea of adverts on the packages is great, I'll try to find out
how I can make it work out.

Feel free to write comments guys, i'm waiting for your opinions.

frenchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2012
Paris
Hi guys,

Any comment? I'm a beginner in business, any advise would be welcome!

Thx

AlexanderKC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 4, 2011
Berlin, Germany
1. The European mentality about dining out is that if you can't afford to leave some food leftover, you shouldn't be dining out. I have spent the last ten years in Germany, and here every restaurant has some kind of to-go container but you need to ask for it specifically. And I sometimes get weird looks from people. So if you are dead set on doing this, you will being competing more against people's mentality than some other business.
2. No NICE restaurant is going to offer customers a doggy bag (that's what it's called in the States, even if it's a box) with ads printed all over it. Usually it would either be plain or have the restaurant's own logo/design.
3. As a restaurant owner, what benefit do I have buying your special boxes as opposed to the super cheap boxes/containers I get from Metro? The only way I see this working is if lots of people start taking their leftovers with them and you supply restaurants with some special box that sets the restaurant apart from the rest. Otherwise, I am just buying the box with the best price-performance ratio (cheap, but high enough quality for my guests).
4. If you are gonna go into this business, consider boxes for restaurants that provide delivery services. Like Pizza, Chinese food, etc etc

Just some things to think about!

frenchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2012
Paris
1. The European mentality about dining out is that if you can't afford to leave some food leftover, you shouldn't be dining out. I have spent the last ten years in Germany, and here every restaurant has some kind of to-go container but you need to ask for it specifically. And I sometimes get weird looks from people. So if you are dead set on doing this, you will being competing more against people's mentality than some other business.
2. No NICE restaurant is going to offer customers a doggy bag (that's what it's called in the States, even if it's a box) with ads printed all over it. Usually it would either be plain or have the restaurant's own logo/design.
3. As a restaurant owner, what benefit do I have buying your special boxes as opposed to the super cheap boxes/containers I get from Metro? The only way I see this working is if lots of people start taking their leftovers with them and you supply restaurants with some special box that sets the restaurant apart from the rest. Otherwise, I am just buying the box with the best price-performance ratio (cheap, but high enough quality for my guests).
4. If you are gonna go into this business, consider boxes for restaurants that provide delivery services. Like Pizza, Chinese food, etc etc

Just some things to think about!

Thank you Alexander for reading and answering my post.

"As a restaurant owner, what benefit do I have buying your special boxes as opposed to the super cheap boxes/containers I get from Metro?"

The problem with those boxes from Metro is that they don't have any mention on them telling the consumer " feel free man,take away your food with you". They are uggly as well, and therefore you can't set them on the table next to the plate. If you did so, people wouldn't understand or wouldn't feel comfortable to put their wastes in them. What I want to offer to the restaurants is a box that would make the customer understand that they can take away their wastes with no problem, no shame (as it is not in our culture). This would just be a simple box with a mention on it saying "feel free to take away your food with you buddy!" or something like that. I kind of want to change our culture. I know it's not that hard to introduce new things in a culture, we sometimes just need a start. And it seems so obvious to me that people are ready for that. I remember in that restaurant I was working for, there were so much waste in one day... and in the same time people don't like wasting food. It's 2 contradictory facts, and I want to fill the gap in bewteen.

So yes, the project would be to create a box with a mention on it. The problem with a normal food box is that the customer wouldn't feel comfortable with putting the food in it (again, culture differences..). But if there is a mere writing on it showing "okay man, go ahead and take your food away, no problem" then it would change something. I know my country, I know the people and I know this mere thing would change a lot. So the benfit a restaurant would have in buying my boxes would be that it would get cheap boxes already designed to make the consumer to put their wastes in it. Otherwise, the restaurant can use the uggly metro boxes and put them on the tables, but nobody would take them away (unless there's a writing on it, but that would take time for the restaurant to make them of course). My goal is to create a fashionable box that everbody would see in the restaurants and say "those boxes are so useful!". Below the writing, my website adress tp buy the boxes for example.

As soon as I'm back in France, I'll make an experiment with a couple of restaurants and see what happens. From there, I'll be able to steer my business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.