Mikkel
Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Inventing and reinventing a product is hard, especially if you're not an engineer!
So if any of you are anything like me, you want to reinvent(or invent) a product that needs a HUGE overhaul. You barely have the artistic skill to draw up the prototype by hand but god forbid, you were asked to do a computer mockup of the product(I laughed at the thought of this, at first.)
You decide, there is no way you can actually create this computer model so you decide to ask the manufacture to do this for you, with your already limited amount of capital. Of course you fear that they will completely butcher your first prototype, thus.... cash thrown down the drain.
Now, I wouldn't be writing this thread if I didn't have a solution!
Most everyone has probably heard something about 3D printing and I am fortunate enough to have a public library that got a grant to buy one of these really cool machines. So today I had the opportunity to print my first prototype for only $8 which is crazy, seeing that we were expecting to pay at least 10x that, while hiring someone to do the computer mockup.
Hey Mikkel, I don't have access to a 3D printer. What do you suggest then?
Well, my friend, you can still create a computer generated product online, for free! I have been sitting at my Libraries computer for less than 2 hours, and I have went from complete beginner to building my first prototype in that time. The great thing is that the online website I used is free. It's called Tinkercad (Admins, let me know if this link is okay. I'm in no way affiliated to them.)
I'm sure there is more complex programs out there, but my product does not use motors or anything other that wood, metal and screws so this worked perfectly for me. I am not sure how robust this program, but I can tell you that you can do quite a bit of cool stuff on here.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you looked around, that you could send you file to some 3D printer and have it printed and shipped for a relatively cheap price, it's worth a shot!
P.S - I just saw someone printing out a 3D Printed Bionic arm.
They were telling me they needed a bit more to have it functioning, but that they have the ability to do this, on the website that I was just walking about. So, that's pretty cool.
So if any of you are anything like me, you want to reinvent(or invent) a product that needs a HUGE overhaul. You barely have the artistic skill to draw up the prototype by hand but god forbid, you were asked to do a computer mockup of the product(I laughed at the thought of this, at first.)
You decide, there is no way you can actually create this computer model so you decide to ask the manufacture to do this for you, with your already limited amount of capital. Of course you fear that they will completely butcher your first prototype, thus.... cash thrown down the drain.
Now, I wouldn't be writing this thread if I didn't have a solution!
Most everyone has probably heard something about 3D printing and I am fortunate enough to have a public library that got a grant to buy one of these really cool machines. So today I had the opportunity to print my first prototype for only $8 which is crazy, seeing that we were expecting to pay at least 10x that, while hiring someone to do the computer mockup.
Hey Mikkel, I don't have access to a 3D printer. What do you suggest then?
Well, my friend, you can still create a computer generated product online, for free! I have been sitting at my Libraries computer for less than 2 hours, and I have went from complete beginner to building my first prototype in that time. The great thing is that the online website I used is free. It's called Tinkercad (Admins, let me know if this link is okay. I'm in no way affiliated to them.)
I'm sure there is more complex programs out there, but my product does not use motors or anything other that wood, metal and screws so this worked perfectly for me. I am not sure how robust this program, but I can tell you that you can do quite a bit of cool stuff on here.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you looked around, that you could send you file to some 3D printer and have it printed and shipped for a relatively cheap price, it's worth a shot!
P.S - I just saw someone printing out a 3D Printed Bionic arm.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
