The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
As entrepreneurs, many of us spend the large majority of our days sitting down in front of our computers. Of course this self-inflicted affliction effects more than just entrepreneurs, half the western world are suffering - or will suffer - from back pain brought on by bad posture habits which are rooted in sitting incorrectly.

The human body has evolved to work best when walking, running, jumping, climbing, and basically being active. It has not evolved to sit in chairs, or lounge on sofas, yet that is what most of us do for most of the time.

What's The Answer?
2275868.jpg

url

Quite simply the book 8 Steps To A Pain Free Back by Esther Gokhale L.Ac., has been an eye-opening, life-changing book for me and countless others and so I wanted to quickly share the benefits with you and hopefully help you eradicate, or avoid any back pain you may have or are going to get.

History

Esther Gokhale was an acupuncturist who one day asked herself the question;

"Why do people in certain cultures, who spend all day bent over get low-to-no back problems, yet we here in the West are riddled with them?"

She went on an extensive journey finding out the answers to that question and here's what she came up with.

Back Shape

She discovered that pictures of the spine in Victorian era medical books, differed from modern spinal pictures. In that the older representations of our spines were more 'J' shaped as opposed to the classic 'S' shape you're probably thinking of now.

She also discovered that children have a more 'J' shaped spine and unless they live in an environment whereby they sit and watch adults sit all the time, they keep this 'J' shape till adulthood.

She also discovered that through a series of stretching 'exercises' somebody with an 'S' shaped spine can actually change the shape back to a 'J' and at the same time avoid and/or fix any problems they may have with their lower backs.

Endorsements

"Esther;s technique for treating chronic back pain is totally unique and her research in this book really backs it up. This is a great tool for all of us." - Billie Jean King (Winner of 20 Wimbledon tennis titles).

"The patients I have referred to Esther have, without exception, found her work to be life changing. I have employed her concepts and techniques in my practice, and I have countless patients who have benefited from her work." - Salwan Abi Ezzi, M.D. Internal Medicine, Palo Alto Medical Foundation.

"Every year tens of thousands of patients undergo major back surgery without any benefits. By using Esther Gokhale's novel technique, many of these patients can avoid such needless and expensive medical procedures, and quickly return to a pain-free life." - John R. Adler, M.D. Professor of Neurosurgery Stanford University Medical Clinic.

Technique

The '8 Steps' that are presented within the book are relatively simple to achieve, and if you go from step 1 to step 8 in linear order you will find it particularly easy, as they do progress in difficulty and introduce some new ways of sitting, standing, walking and lying that you will have to get used to.

Earlier in this post I used quotation marks around the word 'exercises', this is because even though you could class the 8 Steps as exercises, once you get into them, they simply become a way of life.

Below I have posted the video to 'stretch sitting', if you only do this one exercise and turn it into the way you sit down, I promise you (as much as a non-medical professional stranger on the internet can) that you will feel incredible benefits from this small lifestyle change.

Conclusion

I got this book after watching a Ted talk from one of Esther's students, not because I had any major back problems, but because I feel that prevention is always better than cure. Plus the minor niggles I was getting from time to time were making me feel old and were stopping me being as active as I like to be.

I now feel like my back is 20 years younger and my posture has noticeably improved, I have regained a quarter inch in height that I had lost over the years, and I am much more body aware and am more likely to correct bad posture when I'm sitting or standing around.

I can sit in one position at my keyboard for hours without pain or strain, and best of all I have an arsenal of exercises and stretches that make me feel great!

Regardless of your age, if you live in an environment whereby sitting is the norm, then I urge you to buy this book and I promise you'll become a disciple/fanboy(or girl) just like me!

Wishing you wealth, health, and happiness!

Quick intro, though she leaves some info out.

Esther Gokhale lecture

Ted Talk that introduced me to the technique

I will be reprinting a version of this post on my blog.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I think back pain is related to stomach muscles, a quick fix could be as simple as doing a few sit ups. (I've had a bit of lower back pain before)

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
How long do you work standing up? I looked at them a couple of years back but I also don't want to be uncomfortable all the time!

I started out using a tall chair to lean against, but gave that up after a couple of months. I haven't had a chair for years now. I do have a nice thick mat to stand on. My back pain went away in 3 days.

D

Deleted74396

I started out using a tall chair to lean against, but gave that up after a couple of months. I haven't had a chair for years now. I do have a nice thick mat to stand on. My back pain went away in 3 days.
Wow, that's inspiring. I might get like a stool to lean against and start working standing up when I move places.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KenCorigliano

TCMethod
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 29, 2020
Washington DC area
Hand's down

Brought me from spinal stenosis numbed legs to running with 50lb bags in about one year.
All techniques with self-healing back issues found today came from this dude. He was knighted by the Queen for his work on back pain.

I also have a standing desk and a yoga ball, great maintenance items.

Ken

The real Ephraim

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 1, 2023
As entrepreneurs, many of us spend the large majority of our days sitting down in front of our computers. Of course this self-inflicted affliction effects more than just entrepreneurs, half the western world are suffering - or will suffer - from back pain brought on by bad posture habits which are rooted in sitting incorrectly.

The human body has evolved to work best when walking, running, jumping, climbing, and basically being active. It has not evolved to sit in chairs, or lounge on sofas, yet that is what most of us do for most of the time.

What's The Answer?
2275868.jpg

url

Quite simply the book 8 Steps To A Pain Free Back by Esther Gokhale L.Ac., has been an eye-opening, life-changing book for me and countless others and so I wanted to quickly share the benefits with you and hopefully help you eradicate, or avoid any back pain you may have or are going to get.

History

Esther Gokhale was an acupuncturist who one day asked herself the question;

"Why do people in certain cultures, who spend all day bent over get low-to-no back problems, yet we here in the West are riddled with them?"

She went on an extensive journey finding out the answers to that question and here's what she came up with.

Back Shape

She discovered that pictures of the spine in Victorian era medical books, differed from modern spinal pictures. In that the older representations of our spines were more 'J' shaped as opposed to the classic 'S' shape you're probably thinking of now.

She also discovered that children have a more 'J' shaped spine and unless they live in an environment whereby they sit and watch adults sit all the time, they keep this 'J' shape till adulthood.

She also discovered that through a series of stretching 'exercises' somebody with an 'S' shaped spine can actually change the shape back to a 'J' and at the same time avoid and/or fix any problems they may have with their lower backs.

Endorsements

"Esther;s technique for treating chronic back pain is totally unique and her research in this book really backs it up. This is a great tool for all of us." - Billie Jean King (Winner of 20 Wimbledon tennis titles).

"The patients I have referred to Esther have, without exception, found her work to be life changing. I have employed her concepts and techniques in my practice, and I have countless patients who have benefited from her work." - Salwan Abi Ezzi, M.D. Internal Medicine, Palo Alto Medical Foundation.

"Every year tens of thousands of patients undergo major back surgery without any benefits. By using Esther Gokhale's novel technique, many of these patients can avoid such needless and expensive medical procedures, and quickly return to a pain-free life." - John R. Adler, M.D. Professor of Neurosurgery Stanford University Medical Clinic.

Technique

The '8 Steps' that are presented within the book are relatively simple to achieve, and if you go from step 1 to step 8 in linear order you will find it particularly easy, as they do progress in difficulty and introduce some new ways of sitting, standing, walking and lying that you will have to get used to.

Earlier in this post I used quotation marks around the word 'exercises', this is because even though you could class the 8 Steps as exercises, once you get into them, they simply become a way of life.

Below I have posted the video to 'stretch sitting', if you only do this one exercise and turn it into the way you sit down, I promise you (as much as a non-medical professional stranger on the internet can) that you will feel incredible benefits from this small lifestyle change.

Conclusion

I got this book after watching a Ted talk from one of Esther's students, not because I had any major back problems, but because I feel that prevention is always better than cure. Plus the minor niggles I was getting from time to time were making me feel old and were stopping me being as active as I like to be.

I now feel like my back is 20 years younger and my posture has noticeably improved, I have regained a quarter inch in height that I had lost over the years, and I am much more body aware and am more likely to correct bad posture when I'm sitting or standing around.

I can sit in one position at my keyboard for hours without pain or strain, and best of all I have an arsenal of exercises and stretches that make me feel great!

Regardless of your age, if you live in an environment whereby sitting is the norm, then I urge you to buy this book and I promise you'll become a disciple/fanboy(or girl) just like me!

Wishing you wealth, health, and happiness!

Quick intro, though she leaves some info out.

Esther Gokhale lecture

Ted Talk that introduced me to the technique

I will be reprinting a version of this post on my blog.
Thank you sir for the incredible nani, often see your valuable answers in this forum, thank you so much and cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.