The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress Thread] Taking An Internet Marketing Software Business From $0k to $10k MRR

Marketing, social media, advertising

selfmadebm

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
We just passed the 100 customer mark and it seemed as good of a time as any to give an update.

Well - things are going in the right direction for the most part. We've been providing users access to the web app for around two months now and also released a bunch of neat, new features:

ninjaoutreach.com/new-social-search-features-added-to-ninjaoutreach-and-more/
ninjaoutreach.com/new-features-added/

I'm generally pretty hard on the product but I have to say it is starting to look really nice, and honestly even rival some of the competitors in the space that have been around for a few years (i.e BuzzStream). Occassionally, people even come to us after having looked at some very highend products like GroupHigh, and it doesn't always seem to be an obvious choice.

We are also seeing our metrics improve, specifically in July. The free trial to paid conversion has gone up to over 40% which tells us that people just like the product better. Churn is still higher than I'd like, but I think that will take a few months to come down. I suspect it generally lags behind the conversion rate going up, because it's the people now who convert and like the product who are more likely to be sticking around in the long run, I think.

We've hired another developer to work full time on the project and that is really keeping the pace of development strong. I'd say it's finally where it needs to be, which is good, because we can't afford anymore developers lol. The business still runs a negative every month. We're at around $2750 which is several thousand below our monthly expenses.

The marketing effort is going well enough. Signups are increasing each month. July is going to be a record month. Our content marketing and influencer marketing are starting to materialize after months of brand building. I wrote a post on my personal blog detailing more of the marketing progress we've made: http://www.selfmadebusinessman.com/2015/07/27/ninjaoutreach-6-month-update-progress/

That said, there is still a lot of work to be done. There's very little change that we will hit the $20k goal but I think $10k MRR is very possible (but still far from a given). We're working on integrating with Stripe as well as coming out with some major features to improve the email integration and outreach capabilities.

In summary, while I don't think we're hockey sticking there does seem to be a degree of traction that wasn't here even a month ago, so it will be interesting to see how the next few months play out and if things materialize as they're projected to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

selfmadebm

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Hi All

Now seems like an appropriate time to do an update.

In the last update, we were just past 100 customers and were doing $2750 MRR. That was on August 1st.

3 months later and the following has changed:
  • We are at 220 customers
  • We are at $6500+ in MRR
In short, we have more than doubled our MRR and our customer base in three months.

This is by no means record-breaking and we're still not likely to hit $10k/month MRR by the end of the year since we were off to a very slow start, but I think we'll come close, maybe $8k or $9k.

If you'd like a more detailed breakdown of what happened each month I suggest you check out ninjaoutreach.com/blog where we publish monthly updates.

The big things that happened between then and now were:
  • Featured on product hunt
  • Guest posts on Boost Blog Traffic, Unbounce, HubSpot
  • Podcast appearances on EOF and others
  • Featured on AppSumo
Basically, we've hustled our way to get some good exposure and it's paid off.

The biggest, of course, was AppSumo, and you can read about that case study here:

http://www.selfmadebusinessman.com/...-over-2k-users-to-ninjaoutreach-with-appsumo/

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to disclose what we actually netted from that deal beyond users, but I can say we did quite well and are very happy with the outcome, and I believe we now have the cash to sustain the business to profitability (which for us is probably around $11k MRR).

In addition to the positive press we've gotten, the product has come a long way in three months. We've totally built out our outreach to allow for email integration, message history, reply management, a live import in the software, and many more things. While the product still needs a lot of work, we have three full-time developers cranking away and it's getting there.

On a marketing front, we're experimenting with the following initiatives (the bulk of what we have been doing has been content marketing and influencer marketing):
  • Bringing on interns to see if they can run small parts of the business my partners and I don't have time for.
  • Paid advertising
  • Webinars
  • A new and improved affiliate program
Additionally, we've been working on a new done for you outreach service that shows a lot of promise.

The biggest problem we have had has been churn. It's been going up and up and up every month and is really hurting growth. In fact for about a month we hit a wall around $6k, which we just recently broke through. I believe that a lot of it is related to the product and a suboptimal onboarding and retention process. We're working on it, but these things take time and months to show improvements.

If anyone wants to pow wow about this, I'm happy to take questions and have chats.

Thanks!
Dave

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You have customer success agents to onboard and optimise their work?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I mean are they pro active to help people even if they don't ask?

selfmadebm

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
We have triggered in app and email communications that go out at key intervals/events to create dialogue, and then we respond to it, via intercom.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Dave, didnt realize you were on this forum.

I think my partner reached out to you once, CCarter from SERPWoo.com, a long time ago.

Glad to see another SaaS owner on the board.

I seen your offer when it was on AppSumo. Was curious what you had been up to and now I found you here!

Congrats.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

selfmadebm

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Dave, didnt realize you were on this forum.

I think my partner reached out to you once, CCarter from SERPWoo.com, a long time ago.

Glad to see another SaaS owner on the board.

I seen your offer when it was on AppSumo. Was curious what you had been up to and now I found you here!

Congrats.
Awesome ya I do recall exchanging some messages with him, hope I was helpful!

How are you guys doing?

selfmadebm

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.