The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Starting a Basics Clothing Line

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JoelA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 29, 2011
Finally launched after months of delays, although I'm only accepting PayPal right now, credit cards will be accepted next week. Check it out people. If you want a discount code let me know through the contact form.

I will update accordingly now that I have a business that is open for business.

Joel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Nice work so far! I'm starting to see quite a few of us here that have chosen apparel as a fastlane:)

I like the shirts. I like your website. I also like the name. The one thing I don't see at all is a brand.....something the consumer can latch on to and say "yep....this is me." Or simply..."damn, this is cool."

Otherwise, great product.....just needs some support structure (branding).

JoelA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 29, 2011
Any update? Or are you drowning in orders!!?!:)

I wouldn't say that I'm drowning in orders but I've been selling at a high rate. For every 8 people that stumble upon my website, I get an order. I've had people from other countries buy the shirts and everybody says the same thing, best material ever. Im selling without brand recognition and a brand that is basic. I plan on making the brand less basic by changing the name soon. I think this is the business for me.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
JoelA....I missed something... What's your website URL ?

stefan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 29, 2013
Dallas, TX
Yes, I do but never really posted anything on it yet, been busy with other things. I got friends likes and some customers.

www.facebook.com/pimabasics

Props to shutting up that one individual hater in this thread (who thought your biz be would be too expensive to start) by taking action and getting sales.

I think your website looks clean and Peruvian cotton is my favorite.

I have a question for you since I'm also interested in the apparel industry. You mentioned Peru having informal customs agreements with the US to make importing apparel easier for us - perfect..that's great. No one wants to deal with formal customs for small orders. My question is are there manufacturers in Peru who can also take care of your designs, logo, screenprinting and/or just branding in general, in addition to manufacturing the Peruvian shirts for you?

I'm genuinely interested because I'm raising some capital for my own fashion startup. I think that I can get started with 4-5k or so.

stefan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 29, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'd say the LAST thing you want is to have a manufacturer designing your clothing or brand and logo. Manufacturers do one thing **manufacture clothing.**

Perfect. I had no idea so I'm glad you cleared that up. I'm assuming you'd import from oversea's then have your textiles customized to your liking locally in the States? That would still be more cost-effective than buying bulk clothing from the states I'm also guessing, right?

By the way I was really sad to see your KeepTight progress thread closed. I wanted to comment on it pretty badly to let you know that your website's theme looks GREAT and that you found a niche that is extremely significant. I hope your brand really takes off. I'll eventually start my own progress thread with my brand once I've acquired my own capital and web presence.

ray210

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 1, 2012
Los Angeles
3- Bought numerous books on starting clothing companies

Hi, Joel. Thanks for creating this thread and sharing your experiences. It's truly awesome that you're operating a business that you envisioned and built.

I was wondering:

1. Which books about starting clothing companies did you find best/most useful/informative for your purposes?

2. Did you have a business partner or some other collaborator, to bounce ideas off of and to help you execute? Or was it just you, working alone, completely directing the course of things and making your own decisions?

3. How did you break down the venture into monthly, weekly, and daily goals? Or did you? How did you know the steps to take, and at what time and in what order to take them? Did you break down larger goals in categories (for example, design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing), so that on certain days you had, say, tasks related to weekly goals for more than 1 category?

4. What tools, if any, did you use to envision the venture as a series of steps/smaller goals that you executed on, and to track your progress (if indeed you did)? Is there any program/site you recommend to do this?

Thanks very much, Joel.

JoelA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 29, 2011
Props to shutting up that one individual hater in this thread (who thought your biz be would be too expensive to start) by taking action and getting sales.

I think your website looks clean and Peruvian cotton is my favorite.

I have a question for you since I'm also interested in the apparel industry. You mentioned Peru having informal customs agreements with the US to make importing apparel easier for us - perfect..that's great. No one wants to deal with formal customs for small orders. My question is are there manufacturers in Peru who can also take care of your designs, logo, screenprinting and/or just branding in general, in addition to manufacturing the Peruvian shirts for you?

I'm genuinely interested because I'm raising some capital for my own fashion startup. I think that I can get started with 4-5k or so.

Thanks for the comments, yes it was extremely easy to get things from Peru, all I had to do is pay live 300 port fees plus $150 to a company that did the paperwork. The $300 depends on the value of your shipment and is something like $5 for every $1000, or something like that.

The same manufacturer that made the shirts can print and do anything that can be done to a shirt and even the packaging, its all in one place, so you end up saving a lot since additional things just add cents to each items final price.

Thanks again.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

JoelA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 29, 2011
Hi, Joel. Thanks for creating this thread and sharing your experiences. It's truly awesome that you're operating a business that you envisioned and built.

I was wondering:

1. Which books about starting clothing companies did you find best/most useful/informative for your purposes?

2. Did you have a business partner or some other collaborator, to bounce ideas off of and to help you execute? Or was it just you, working alone, completely directing the course of things and making your own decisions?

3. How did you break down the venture into monthly, weekly, and daily goals? Or did you? How did you know the steps to take, and at what time and in what order to take them? Did you break down larger goals in categories (for example, design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing), so that on certain days you had, say, tasks related to weekly goals for more than 1 category?

4. What tools, if any, did you use to envision the venture as a series of steps/smaller goals that you executed on, and to track your progress (if indeed you did)? Is there any program/site you recommend to do this?

Thanks very much, Joel.

I read some books like:

Start a kick a$$ tshirt company
Starting a clothing empire
Tshirt profits

I started and did everything alone so everything was on my terms. The goals were setup as development, manufacturing and marketing/selling. Those were pretty simple. I didn't use any tools just kinda freestyled everything.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Sindi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 8, 2013
This thread is extremely helpful, Joel! I checked out your website too- it's great. I would never have guessed that you did this all on your own! Well done. Thanks for the information.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Just found your thread thanks to TJPB here, website looks great! This is exactly what I want to launch but with branding! Your t-shirt costs were $10 each right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.