The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Losing Weight

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Progress Update

first off, thanks for all your answers, definitely taking some of your input into action!

My goal of last week was to lose 1kg (2,20lbs), did I achieve it? Nope.. I stayed at about the same weight as the week before.

But I feel better, I feel a change in my body. I need to workout more definitely doing not enough when it comes to workout. Had 2 bad weeks now, with being at the Oktoberfest 2 times, drinking alcohol and eating fast food the next day. Setting my goal of losing 1kg for this week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
You have to control your mind before you can control your mouth(and what you put in it). To lose weight you have to be mentally disciplined enough to control your impulses. Without self control you're fighting a losing battle.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You have to control your mind before you can control your mouth(and what you put in it). To lose weight you have to be mentally disciplined enough to control your impulses. Without self control you're fighting a losing battle.

True that's my biggest problem, the discipline.

G

Guest34764

True that's my biggest problem, the discipline.
I wonder how good these type of people with little control over their eating impulses work with money.Now I'm not trying to be rude, but i wonder if someone with a proper diet and a healthy body will have an easier time not succumbing to impulses and instant gratification(i.e delicious food) with the use of their money .What are you guy's thoughts on this?I think it's rather interesting to think about.IMO i think it's a pretty obvious answer but i want to see what y'all think.Now i should say in no way i'm i saying you're bad at money Supa.This question is more directed to the sidewalkers and slow laners who aren't very knowledgeable in the market and the workings of everything.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
I wonder how good these type of people with little control over their eating impulses work with money.Now I'm not trying to be rude, but i wonder if someone with a proper diet and a healthy body will have an easier time not succumbing to impulses and instant gratification(i.e delicious food) with the use of their money .What are you guy's thoughts on this?I think it's rather interesting to think about.IMO i think it's a pretty obvious answer but i want to see what y'all think.Now i should say in no way i'm i saying you're bad at money Supa.This question is more directed to the sidewalkers and slow laners who aren't very knowledgeable in the market and the workings of everything.

I don't know...ask Oprah.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
For me its all about my living conditions and the people you hang out with

I just moved and i live around only healthy food and more healthy eating people

I generally can diet for a few days then binge

(When i stress i eat junk food)

Also once he starts seeing progress that will start the snowball effect

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

Actually I have big problems handling my money, your post made me realize that I was always fighting symptoms of both, my weight and my money situation. I never searched for the core problem, and that is my desire for instant gratification.

That's something important that MJ wrote in his book, that just popped into my head while reading your post. I got myself a bank loan of 5000€ to get back into the green numbers and be able to get my finances back on track, but guess what those 5000€ evaporated over the last 3-4 months, simply because I was not fighting the core problem itself, but just its symptoms. This loan could have be a good thing in order to get me back on track and back into the green numbers, but therefore I would have to fight the core problem first. The same goes for my weight, I always either did some sport or I ate kinda healthy, but it was nothing else but covering up the symptoms. After doing sport I feel good and good looking (I still look the same of course), so I'm just fighting the symptom of feeling shitty without really changing anything.

I see instant gratification at the root of my problems almost everywhere in my life. I lay on the couch for an hour watching Netflix (instant gratification) instead of doing sport (delayed gratification), I waste 10€ every day at the grocery store for unhealthy shit (instant gratification in both, money and weight) instead of spending less for healthy food (delayed gratification), and so on.

I need to change my ways of thinking. Going from fighting symptoms to fighting the real problem: instant gratification.

G

Guest34764

Actually I have big problems handling my money, your post made me realize that I was always fighting symptoms of both, my weight and my money situation. I never searched for the core problem, and that is my desire for instant gratification.

That's something important that MJ wrote in his book, that just popped into my head while reading your post. I got myself a bank loan of 5000€ to get back into the green numbers and be able to get my finances back on track, but guess what those 5000€ evaporated over the last 3-4 months, simply because I was not fighting the core problem itself, but just its symptoms. This loan could have be a good thing in order to get me back on track and back into the green numbers, but therefore I would have to fight the core problem first. The same goes for my weight, I always either did some sport or I ate kinda healthy, but it was nothing else but covering up the symptoms. After doing sport I feel good and good looking (I still look the same of course), so I'm just fighting the symptom of feeling shitty without really changing anything.

I see instant gratification at the root of my problems almost everywhere in my life. I lay on the couch for an hour watching Netflix (instant gratification) instead of doing sport (delayed gratification), I waste 10€ every day at the grocery store for unhealthy shit (instant gratification in both, money and weight) instead of spending less for healthy food (delayed gratification), and so on.

I need to change my ways of thinking. Going from fighting symptoms to fighting the real problem: instant gratification.

Holy man,I thought i swung completely off the mark.I'm glad to have helped you find your problem. I'll be blunt;most people are fat due to their instant gratification wants.What happens when you eat take out every day or w/e?You lose money.It's almost directly linked with each other IMO.You have instant gratification to want to solve your hunger.Therefore you have instant gratification to want to use for doing lazy shit.It goes hand in hand.Fat almost ALWAYS equals laziness.I'm trying to make what i write as clear as possible but i'm not very good at writing in my own language so sorry for any grammatical errors and such.The best way to combat this is to just do it!You think when i load up 275 on my back to squat (i'm 110lbs mind you) That i get lazy about it?Hell no!I grip that damn bar and put as much effort into it as possible.That needs to be your mind set when it comes to being a lazy turd.Wake up in the morning and go for a nice run.Don't tell me that running a mile everyday is to much.I'm sure you're already loosing weight but i'm just going to rant for a bit because i'm passionate about this topic.I can garrentee you 100% if you exercise,lose weight,get a routine you will have better control over your money and your shitty impulses.It's just simple man,You aren't loosing weight because you're not doing anything.Yeah you can tell me that you did some exercise and ran a block or two,but guess what.You won't get anywhere with that.Having a healthy body is more than just running every now and again.IT'S CONSISTENT HEALTHY CHOICES WITH HEALTHY EXERCISING THAT WILL WORK.Having some limp-wrist-ed resolve won't get you shit.(I'm sorry if i'm getting offensive i'm to into this).I've probably have just been re-telling the same point in this whole post over and over again but honestly i don't care.If you need to be reminded to get off your a$$ and do something a million times by some random stranger on the internet i'll be that guy.If i have to tell you to get off the couch and go jog today i'll damn sure remind you.

Also just some information.You don't need to lift to loose weight.80% of loosing weight is in the kitchen.Eat 2500cals a day or under that limit.Just put down the bag of chips for one time and don't succumb to your instant gratification desires.THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM;FIX IT.That's all you need to do.Stop eating like shit and you'll loose weight.Run a few times in the week.I guess to wrap this up because it is getting quite long,You understand your problem.So go out and fix it while simultaneously fixing your current money problem.They go hand in hand dude.

p.s i cursed a lot so sorry x.x i'm to young for this.Also again excuse my grammar.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Progress Update

after the posts of @Omega I realized that my weight and my financial situation go hand in hand. So to fix them both I have to view them as one. I got myself a nice budget app that tells me what I can spend every day. I set all my fix costs plus savings of 250€ every month so at the moment I got maybe 3€ a day.. I'm going to get rid of some monthly costs and lowering some of them so I should be at about 8€ a day. If I imagine how much I spent sometimes I slowly start to see why I got money problems. All those "let's take 50€ with me for partying tonight" or "oh only 20€ spent at the grocery store, that's ok" those seemingly small amounts were most of the time twice as much as my problably would have been.

Last week I lost about 500g, only with my change of eating since I wasn't able to do much sport because I had a cold.

So let's have a look at the numbers:

Starting weight: 116kg (256 lbs)
Goal: 90kg (198 lbs)
Current weight: 113kg (249 lbs)

Weight loss so far: 3kg (6.61 lbs)

Last edited:

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I realized that my weight and my financial situation go hand in hand. So to fix them both I have to view them as one.

@Supa - I don't know if you are familiar with Larry Winget (The Pitbull of Personal Development) but I listened to his audio set a few years ago called "You're Broke Because You Want to Be", and I remember him saying that in all his years of helping people he had found a direct correlation between someone's inability to handle their weight / food and an inability to handle their finances. He always found the two problems right together.

You might want to check out some of his stuff! He's pretty tough on people but he'll make you laugh too.

P.S. Good for you for making an effort

G

Guest34764

Progress Update

after the posts of @Omega I realized that my weight and my financial situation go hand in hand. So to fix them both I have to view them as one. I got myself a nice budget app that tells me what I can spend every day. I set all my fix costs plus savings of 250€ every month so at the moment I got maybe 3€ a day.. I'm going to get rid of some monthly costs and lowering some of them so I should be at about 8€ a day. If I imagine how much I spent sometimes I slowly start to see why I got money problems. All those "let's take 50€ with me for partying tonight" or "oh only 20€ spent at the grocery store, that's ok" those seemingly small amounts were most of the time twice as much as my problably would have been.

Last week I lost about 500g, only with my change of eating since I wasn't able to do much sport because I had a cold.

So let's have a look at the numbers:

Starting weight: 116kg (256 lbs)
Goal: 90kg (198 lbs)
Current weight: 113kg (249 lbs)

Weight loss so far: 3kg (6.61 lbs)

That's awesome my man.Just keep chipping at those numbers and you'll reach your goals.Remember consistency is key!If one day you feel like eating some more or spending some more past your limits realize that you will mess up everything.It just puts you in a bad mindset.You're doing a good job so far so just stick with it.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada

Well discipline is a skill. It needs practice and persistence to be achieved. So those who have no discipline in weight loss are less likely to have discipline in financial management. If you look for instant gratification in food, what stops you from doing the same thing with money?

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Progress Update

to make it short: my weight stayed the same last week (checked it on saturday) .. I think it is because of my lack of motivation for doing sport since the weather changed from sunshine to the usual fall weather. I definitely need to kick my a$$ way more to get up even if I'm seasonally depressed right now.

I feel a change in my mindset though. I changed my belief system in a way I never thought was possible. It's hard to explain, actually I'm sitting here right now trying to find the right words.. Before I started all this, I was someone who always used to tell people that I don't want to forgo the good food like pizza and burgers, and that even if I want to lose weight, I don't want to forgo them. And now, I just don't want to eat it, because I know what harm it does to my goal. I planned on doing one cheat day a week where I can eat what I want, but I don't want that anymore tbh.

If I would say pizza and burgers taste not good anymore, I would lie. It's more like switching from instant gratification to delayed gratification. And even if I'm far away from my goal it feels way better to forgo instead of giving in on that desire for instant gratification.

Of course there are weak days too. Today was one of those, I gave in and went to an all you can eat chinese food restaurant. Even if the amount of calories that I ate are not too bad I feel like shit after it. But this made me realize something, actually two things. I started to feel bad for eating food that is dangerous for my goal, it didn't really taste too good. I mean it was good in the beginning, but my stomach started causing trouble after a few bites. I think I reached a point where my body got used to me eating way less than before, that I actually feel bad (man my stomach still feels weird) when eating too fatty and too much food.

Everything starts with the right beliefs. But I have to stay committed to it, that's one reason I made this thread, to help me stay committed and accountable.

Goals for the next week: kick my a$$ and do my workout at least 4 times this week and lose at least 1kg.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Progress Update

When I checked my weight last friday it was only about 200g less then the week before. But here are the numbers from this friday's weight check:

Starting weight: 116kg (255.74lbs)
Weight: 111.4kg (245.60lbs)
Weight loss: 4.6kg (10.14lbs)

Last friday I was at 112.8kg (248.68lbs) that makes a weight loss of 1.4kg (3.08lbs) last week.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Progress Update
.. I stayed at about the same weight as the week before.
First things first, well done on the 4.6kg loss, really good stuff.

Now, as it regards the quote. Stop.

Weigh yourself NO MORE than once per month, maximum.

ANY net 'weight' loss at the end of a month is a win. Write it down in a diary as a win. You have done great work so far. What are your goals, short to long term? How tall are you?

Last edited:

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
First things first, well done on the 4.6kg loss, really good stuff.

Now, as it regards the quote. Stop.

Weigh yourself NO MORE than once per month, maximum.

ANY net 'weight' loss at the end of a month is a win. Write it down in a diary as a win. You have done great work so far. What are your goals, short to long term? How tall are you?

Thanks. What are your thoughts about weighing myself only once per month?

Short term goal is 105kg long term goal is 90kg.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Thanks. What are your thoughts about weighing myself only once per month?

Short term goal is 105kg long term goal is 90kg.

Weighing yourself once per month allows you to always win (lose weight) assuming you stick to good habits. Weight fluctuates too much on a day to day basis. You could literally weigh 1 or even 2kgs more one day because you ate a big lunch and dinner and drank lots of water. So maybe your true weight is 110kg but the day you weigh in it shows 112kg. That makes you feel bad, that makes you think negatively, that makes it easier to quit.
Harder to quit when you're always winning...

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Weighing yourself once per month allows you to always win (lose weight) assuming you stick to good habits. Weight fluctuates too much on a day to day basis. You could literally weigh 1 or even 2kgs more one day because you ate a big lunch and dinner and drank lots of water. So maybe your true weight is 110kg but the day you weigh in it shows 112kg. That makes you feel bad, that makes you think negatively, that makes it easier to quit.
Harder to quit when you're always winning...

Makes sense, I will try it this way. Thanks!

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Not an update yet, I will weigh around mid november again (weighing once a month). But I had an interesting convo with a friend, who is into bodybuilding. I told him that I don't understand why I don't lose too much weight, even if I don't eat more than 1500 calories a day. He told me about the importance of my metabolism and that it's most likely pretty lame due to what I eat. I need to get that metabolism active, with a mix of sport and eating the right things (no sugar, less carbs, more chicken and fish).

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Supa, what do you weigh and how tall are you?

Glad to hear you're weighing once a month. :)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Supa, what do you weigh and how tall are you?

Glad to hear you're weighing once a month. :)

I'm about 1,82m and my weight half a month ago was 111,4 kg.

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
Hi,

Weight alone is not really indicative, especially if you excercise regularly and gain some muscle as well. Occasionally measure for example waist circumference and body fat percentage too.

Speaking as a doctor and an ex-weight-loss product range owner, you can really kick-off your progress with a personal trainer. If you can't afford one, many offer discounts for the first month. Try it, take their advice and see the magic happen! :)

Ps. Don't expect more than 1-2kg loss per month. And also there will be stops as your body and metabolism reach a new balance (so that your current diet and excercise do not result in negative calories anymore) and you will need to adjust again - eat less, excercise harder.

Nice progress so far!

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
When you get to around 100, maybe 105kg I'd suggest you start lifting some weights. Strength training, not "cardio" and certainly not running. At least not at that weight.

If you do decide to start strength training (which I highly recommend) you'll notice your weight fluctuates more. That will be because while you will be burning off more fat, you'll be adding on muscle so the dynamic will change.

P.s. you don't need a gym to do any of that stuff.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I can attest to what @DrkSide said about weight loss is basically done in the kitchen.

Between 2007 and 2011 I lived in Buenos Aires and exercised about 3-4 times a week. I also walked probably triple of an average person. Still, I never lost weight and always had mini-manboobs a little belly. The reason? My diet consisted of pizza mozzarella about seven times a week, as well as bread with cheese + 1,5 liters of apple juice for breakfast. Combine that with chips, beer and vodka-battery drinks in the weekends, and you get a good picture of why I never lost any pounds.

Last year I was injured and could not exercise at all, but I decided to go on the Whole30 paleo diet for 30 days. I lost about 15 pounds in that month without running or hitting the gym once.

Now my problem is to gain weight, because I have eliminated so many toxic foods from my life (thankfully).

Good luck on your progress. You seem to have the right mindset to make it!

Bee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 16, 2015
Hey Supa! Good on you for making a positive change in your life.
Exercsie and looking after our bodies is so important in business. We all know that the hardest work there is is to think. Who knew that exercise and fueling your body properly could make you think more clearly and work more efficiently?! I love using this amazing fact every day.

Try to answer WHY you are doing this program. If you know exactly the reason why you want ot change, it is much easier to do what is required. For example, add to our goal why you are doing it all. "I am doing this program because...". Perhaps with this specific focus you can change those 3 days of training to the 5 days of highly motivated training.

Not an update yet, I will weigh around mid november again (weighing once a month). But I had an interesting convo with a friend, who is into bodybuilding. I told him that I don't understand why I don't lose too much weight, even if I don't eat more than 1500 calories a day. He told me about the importance of my metabolism and that it's most likely pretty lame due to what I eat. I need to get that metabolism active, with a mix of sport and eating the right things (no sugar, less carbs, more chicken and fish).
I would just like to add here a comment on your diet goals. High protein, low carb diets are great for body builders sometimes because protein reduces hunger, however our bodies do not actually need boundless amounts of protein. Even when you are training, one standard peice of meat usually satisfies your protein needs for the day to build muscles and keep your body happy. Any excess protein your eat which your body can not use just hangs around and of course is transformed into fat! I find this fact so important in your long term health and your weight loss goals - something you may like to look into. Fuel your body with nutritious vegetables and perhaps you won't feel like excess eating.

Good luck and keep it up!!

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Hey Supa! Good on you for making a positive change in your life.
Exercsie and looking after our bodies is so important in business. We all know that the hardest work there is is to think. Who knew that exercise and fueling your body properly could make you think more clearly and work more efficiently?! I love using this amazing fact every day.

Try to answer WHY you are doing this program. If you know exactly the reason why you want ot change, it is much easier to do what is required. For example, add to our goal why you are doing it all. "I am doing this program because...". Perhaps with this specific focus you can change those 3 days of training to the 5 days of highly motivated training.

I would just like to add here a comment on your diet goals. High protein, low carb diets are great for body builders sometimes because protein reduces hunger, however our bodies do not actually need boundless amounts of protein. Even when you are training, one standard peice of meat usually satisfies your protein needs for the day to build muscles and keep your body happy. Any excess protein your eat which your body can not use just hangs around and of course is transformed into fat! I find this fact so important in your long term health and your weight loss goals - something you may like to look into. Fuel your body with nutritious vegetables and perhaps you won't feel like excess eating.

Good luck and keep it up!!

Thanks for your great post! I'm not really doing a low carb diet, I just try to look at what I eat. I try to not eat more than 1500 cal. a day and to not eat fast food type of stuff. I know that the calories of a burger are not too bad compared to other food, but it slows down my metabolism, that's what I want to avoid. I always thought, you can lose weight by just eating less. But it's not just about how much you eat, like a friend of mine told me, it's also about what you eat. So my last excuse "you can eat that, it's just 600 cal." is now gone. I'm actually kinda happy with how I changed my overall diet (not talking about doing a diet, but about changing my whole diet). What I'm not happy with yet, is my discipline and commitment to doing sport. I need to do more sport and look more after what I eat, so my metabolism can work for me and not against me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.